whats the best way to re-gel coat the bottum for the hull

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

sselzer

I have a 96 Seadoo SPX and want to re-gel coat the bottum. The seadoo is siting on a single trailer and looking for suggestions on how to place the seadoo for recoating. I'm am planning on using a gel coat from sea hawk.

Applying gel coat correctly is an art. I refinished the bottom of an old ski. After researching the "how toos" about gel coat I decided to go another route. I installed 4 heavy duty lag bolts into the beams in my garage ceiling. I used a chain hoist to lift the ski off of the trailer and had it hanging. I sanded the bottom to remove the old gel coat. Used bondo fiberglass repair to fix any gouges and scrapes. Sanded everything smooth. I painted the entire bottom with Krylon Fusion gloss white. After 10 days the paint is fully cured. Then I applied Spraymax 2k clear coat. It looked great with a very durable high gloss finish. I have not had any problems with it.
Just offering another idea. Good luck with your project.

Applying gel coat correctly is an art. I refinished the bottom of an old ski. After researching the "how toos" about gel coat I decided to go another route. I installed 4 heavy duty lag bolts into the beams in my garage ceiling. I used a chain hoist to lift the ski off of the trailer and had it hanging. I sanded the bottom to remove the old gel coat. Used bondo fiberglass repair to fix any gouges and scrapes. Sanded everything smooth. I painted the entire bottom with Krylon Fusion gloss white. After 10 days the paint is fully cured. Then I applied Spraymax 2k clear coat. It looked great with a very durable high gloss finish. I have not had any problems with it.
Just offering another idea. Good luck with your project.

Huhhhhhh ????? You used krylon fusion spray bomb.... Is it holding up ?? Have you ridden it very much since you painted. Ive been told by many many people that you cant even really use typical auto base / clear paints due to them not holding up. I sure cant see spray bomb holding up from the constant beating they take ?????

Depending on how big of an area you need to repair. I will be doing the same for a small area on my GS. This is how I plan to do it.

Sand the area to remove the gloss and rough it up so the gelcoat has something to adhere to.
Wipe down with acetone.
Brush on several coats of gelcoat.
Once it has kicked, sand it. Most likely will start with 220 and go from there, finishing with 800 grit with water. There will be brush marks that you will need to sand out.
Polish to a shine.
Like I said earlier I would not try to do the whole hull this way, but for a small area where the gelcoat is missing it will work fine.

Huhhhhhh ????? You used krylon fusion spray bomb.... Is it holding up ?? Have you ridden it very much since you painted. Ive been told by many many people that you cant even really use typical auto base / clear paints due to them not holding up. I sure cant see spray bomb holding up from the constant beating they take ?????

It has been 3 years now and no problems at all. I suppose just using the Krylon Fusion or any paint alone would not hold up on a hull. I applied Spraymax 2K clear coat over the fully cured Krylon. It creates a very durable finish. I have also done a few hoods in the same fashion with no problems reported. I just clean and wax before and after each season.

I redid the bottom of a Kawi 750 SS a while back and it wasnt all that bad. I got some friends and we flipped the ski upside down and put sawhorses in the foot wells. I had to repair some damage, then I sanded it all with a DA and 180 paper. I used a gravity feed spray gun, wish I had had one with a bigger nozzle as it didnt come out very well. But, I thinned the gelcoat with acetone and put 2 coats on the bottom of the ski. It came out pretty good. Be sure you use waxed gelcoat or it will never dry.

Ahhh Something that I know about to help give back, http://www.bbcboards.net/bassboat-re...ome-sorts.html go to Checkmate Boats.com ,under Gel coat paint and grafics, there is that link there, under spraying Gel coat, Dont hang the Ski, drain the fluids, make sure theres no water in the box as well, and flip the big pig over, to repair the bottom, bondo glass is fine for filler, be prepared for days of sanding, you will want to true the hull, if its not done right you will have handleing issue from doing the repair work everything has to be true and level, if using a sander or Da, be warned you can quickly rutt out area's that you are sanding if not sanding right as the hull is not flat, just a slip when knocking down the repaired areas can gouge the steps or hull/keel, you want to do Gel as it is the strongest and hold up longer then any paint, but takes alot more time with sanding Vs. Painting, 2K is not Durible for any hull on anything, if going with a paint go with Dupont Imron or a cheaper version of that is Tamco's Duriflint 2, that I have used and recomend and its cheaper then Imron, Interlux makes a VC performance epoxy that is duible as well, but if I ever do another Ski it would be nothing but Gel coat as its the most durible, Do not roll and tip any paint, spray it on, if you are not Exp. with Shooting Paint or Gel, when it comes time I will walk you through it, as far as HVLP guns go you need a good one there is a big differance from a $16 harbor fright one and a Iwata or Satajet, you will also have to have a big enough compressor to handle the CFM of the guns output, or half way through the shoot you will be screwing everything up with low pressure and it will turn out like SHI%.

For scratches and minor dings you can use gelcoat with some cabosil and milled fibres to make a putty.

I plan on using Sea Hawk gel coat, has anyone used this product? I was going to sand and fix any deep straches, then brush on the gel coat then wet sand it and polish it. I am also waiting to it gets a lot cooler in Florida before I start it. I am also going to to paint he plastics and put new grahpics on the ski. Where the best place to buy graphics at a descent price?

I plan on using Sea Hawk gel coat, has anyone used this product? I was going to sand and fix any deep straches, then brush on the gel coat then wet sand it and polish it. I am also waiting to it gets a lot cooler in Florida before I start it. I am also going to to paint he plastics and put new grahpics on the ski. Where the best place to buy graphics at a descent price?

Ebay for grafics, have not found any place that is cheaper, Brushing on Gel coat is a bad Idea, not just a bad idea but a very bad idea and what is the Temp you are trying to work in? Look if your going to gel coat you are dealing with a pot life/flash time if you ettempt to brush gel on for one by the time you get half way through the hull it will likely start to flash on you then your scewed, not to mention the whole painting with a brush will leave brush marks from hell, sanding the majority of the hull has to be done by hand and sanding gel down or any resin sucks because its not easy to sand its hard as hell, US Composites are right in Florida call them up and get the gel coat, catylist and wax additive, you will need the pigment from them as well , you will also have to thin the gel with styrene, your first coat will be a neutrial gel with pigment then clear gel with wax additive, you have to spray this on not brush and if you never shot anything befor skip gel coating altogether and go with a interlux paint, those you can roll and tip, or in your words brush it on.

The SeaHawk gelcoat is a good quality, I've used as well. I think now they recommend Mek as a thinner instead of Styrene but you may wish to do a bit more research on that topic. The key is not too much! With all the variables when working with gelcoat....wax, thinner, hardener...mistakes can be made. There is some good information out there on on application and spraying with a large tip nozzle will give you best/least sanding results. Some of the newer Seadoos, I understand, are a composite material and the beating they take may crack the gelcoat. If you want the easy way out I'd use Revolution by Supermarine...Durable and can be rolled on with nice results and a lot of colors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back