What year is this motor?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

impalaman

If you read my other post about brass filings, you are familiar with a few of my other posts.
Is there any way to tell what year engine you have by the model number?
There is also a bar code on my stator cover.My model number is 4773402 and I think it's a 96 sp or spx.

Attachments

• gtx seadoo 010.jpg
    gtx seadoo 010.jpg
    219.6 KB · Views: 52
Heads...stamp?

Under your head cap, are the cylinders seperated or one solid piece? With the RAVE valves, it can only be a 787. The exhaust system isn't off the 951, which is the only other motor with RAVES.

Is there anything stamped on the back side, above the PTO on the right? The number you have on the stator, how about send it.

It's a 787. Why do you want to know the year? Does it have a filler plug for the balance shaft oil?

Chester

reply to what year is this motor

My block does not have a filler plug and was thinking about adding one now that it is in pieces.
I know it's a 787, but I have seen differences,such as the flywheel.Also,my stator coils are attached to the stator cover and not to the block.
My magnetic ring is bolted to the flywheel w/m6 bolts.Just wondering if any year was better than another.

Merry Christmas to everyone.

G

1996 or 97...

That is one of the first 787's to come out in the boats. I have this same motor in my 1997 Challenger. No fill plug in the balance shaft is the first tell tale of the year.

This model had instructions to use 1 ounce of 30 weight oil in the balance shaft when rebuilding. That was suppose to be the only time it needed oil. But, after that year, they went to 787's with plugs on the balance shaft and stated to use your 2 cycle mixing oil rather than the motor oil. What's kinda weird is, I have the 1997 GTX, with the 787 but this motor has the fill plug.

I'm pulling my boat motor this year, soon... I'll be splitting the casing. That will be the one component I'm curious about, since I have not maintained it since buying it 3 years ago.

A member here, Robin Savell Lloyd, came to the conclusion that the small hole for filling, on the back side of the block, behind the skirt of the PTO cylinder, was what maintained the oil to the shaft. So, I'll be curious to find out if there is oil.

I have seen some pix of that balance shaft coming apart, tearing out the casing. So, it's time to check my oil.......:cheers:

Waht year is this motor?

For anyone who was ever interested in seeing the inside of a 787 and the parts that make it whole..look no further.
I don't have an oil plug as it is an early 787 but as you can see the balance shaft gear area is completely seperated and the only way it can leak oil is double seals on the balance shaft.
It's not really that it would leak from the area but more like it would migrate out of the resevoir into the non supported shaft area. This oil (1 oz ) would find its way towards the balance weight itself and maybe past the bearing too.
The point here dudes is that IT IS POSSIBLE THAT YOU ARE LOW ON OIL SO CHECK IT!!OFTEN!!

Attachments

• balance shaft.seadoo 007.jpg
    balance shaft.seadoo 007.jpg
    219.5 KB · Views: 32
Last edited by a moderator:
"A look inside the 787"...

For anyone who was ever interested in seeing the inside of a 787 and the parts that make it whole..look no further.
I don't have an oil plug as it is an early 787 but as you can see the balance shaft gear area is completely seperated and the only way it can leak oil is double seals on the balance shaft.
It's not really that it would leak from the area but more like it would migrate out of the resevoir into the non supported shaft area. This oil (1 oz ) would find its way towards the balance weight itself and maybe past the bearing too.
The point here dudes is that IT IS POSSIBLE THAT YOU ARE LOW ON OIL SO CHECK IT!!OFTEN!!

I actually made a thread a while back while disassembling my 1996 model 787. I originally asked about the heads because I couldn't see the seperation on them even though the exhaust said it was a 787.

The issue on the oil and checking it, I'm on the fence with. It's in my long experience with gears that are "cogged" don't really use the oil, just cool off their teeth in it. The reason there is only 1 ounce in that area is because it's not oil used for cooling bearing surfaces. It's solely there for the gear cogs of the balance shaft and crankshaft to cool off, keeping them from wear. There have been so many people come into the forum, who have filled that oil to the top of their fill hole, then had problems blowing seals. That oil is only meant to be "spashed" onto the teeth.

As for "checking that oil"... Yeah, I agree it important but one question. How can anyone check that oil and find that they only hae 1 ounce in that void? Once you remove the plug, you'll have to dip a straw or something in it to get a level reading. Also, those seals on the balance shaft are actually above that oil level. So, with no pressure and no direct oil flow to that sealed area, oil should never find it's way past them.

You can also look at a thread I made on this motor called a look inside the 787 to see many of the details and explanations regarding this motor. I say this motor lightly but it's really, my most favorite of the Rotax motors.:cheers:

That oil in there will only last a few hours in that cavity as it gets burned. After that, the gears, and the front CB shaft bearing, are lubed by the 2 stroke oil that is injected into the air/fuel mixture. That cavity is not sealed off and is open to the MAG side of the crankcase. I rarely see any sign of oil in that cavity and I've rebuilt tons of them. If the engine had water in it, then you should add oil to it. Otherwise, it's a maintenance free component. The 951 engine, however, is a different story. It has a cavity that is completely sealed off and will always retain the oil.

Chester

Our first disagreement...

That oil in there will only last a few hours in that cavity as it gets burned. After that, the gears, and the front CB shaft bearing, are lubed by the 2 stroke oil that is injected into the air/fuel mixture. That cavity is not sealed off and is open to the MAG side of the crankcase. I rarely see any sign of oil in that cavity and I've rebuilt tons of them. If the engine had water in it, then you should add oil to it. Otherwise, it's a maintenance free component. The 951 engine, however, is a different story. It has a cavity that is completely sealed off and will always retain the oil.

Chester

Ahh Chester, ... I think this will be our first debate. But, I don't want to change your views or ideas of that reservoir and it's purpose.

The one ounce of oil in that balance shaft is sealed. It may not be a hermitic seal but it is, none the less, sealed. The only area of this cavity that is open, is a hole about 1/8", that is used for putting in that one ounce upon rebuilding.

The oil can not be burned. There is no way for the oil to be burned in the combustion cycle. This oil is also not used to protect bearings, though I'm sure it will work up onto the surface of the outer crank and balance shaft area. This oil is specific to cooling the cog gears that mesh together as the engine is spinning over at 7k rpm. Without that oil spashing onto those teeth, it would heat up and chew away at the metal pretty fast. That's why it's so important for there to be no more than 1 ounce. Anything more than one ounce would create massive amounts of friction; like swinging a baseball bat underwater.

I have spent many years working on turbines that used cog gears and power and idler gear assemblies as large as 10 feet in diameter, cogged up to 8 times from one power gear, that I think I can say with confidence, I understand them. But, everyone can interpret things differently. So, in that respect, I am not trying to take away from any knowledge that you or anyone else might have in their understanding of how they work.

I too have a 787cc sitting on my workbench, removing the PTO piston. And just from looking at it, it is sealed (but not hermetically).:cheers:

I made a mistake, it's on the PTO side, not the MAG side. The rear bearing on the CB shaft is not a sealed bearing and therefore, the oil not only lubricates the gears it also lubes the rear bearing. Also, there are no seals on the crankshaft to keep the oil from the crankcase and the oil will seep through the crank bearing.

Chester

Bill O'neal....

I made a mistake, it's on the PTO side, not the MAG side. The rear bearing on the CB shaft is not a sealed bearing and therefore, the oil not only lubricates the gears it also lubes the rear bearing. Also, there are no seals on the crankshaft to keep the oil from the crankcase and the oil will seep through the crank bearing.

Chester

I have nothing but high regards for Bill O'neal and for all he's done through the internet to help others understand the working of our Rotax engines and helping people to understand it to a degree, they feel comfortable in working/repairing it.

Like I stated before, I believe we are all like a finger print, we as humans are all different and perceive things in different ways. Some of what he states is accurate, some I still don't totally agree with. If I had not attended so many schools in engineering theory and principle, I might be easier influenced.

This will be my last reply to this post due to the topic not being covered in depth or to the degree that could eleminate differences of opinion in our shop manuals. I have also not been able to find any conclusive evidence from BRP stating one way or the other, exactly how this area is lubricated. What I am describing is my theory after tearing this engine down and anaylzing it. By far am I saying that my theory, is absolute.

If you look at the pix attached by the member of the balance shaft area. You will see the hole from which we fill that one ounce of motor oil (in later models, BRP suggests injection oil). It's internally ported to the back side of the PTO area of the casing, kinda behind the cylinder skirt.

Although I do see this hole as a way to maintain oil level, I don't think it's capable of allowing the oil to be burned off from inside the CB area. Why? The flash point of the oil and gas mixed is not the same. The fuel (gas) has a flashpoint around 90*F. The oil has a flashpoint that is much higher, about 180*F. So, during combustion, the oil/gas ratio is designed to burn off the fuel and oil because those temps in the combustion chamber exceed that. But, in the area of the crankcase, during delivery, the fuel begins to vaporize as it's making it's way to the spark plug. Some of the oil is seperated along the way and remains a liquid and is used to lubricate the bearings before finally being burned off. If you open a Rotax engine that has been in use, the day of or shortly after, you'll find an oily film that remains. This should lead to the idea that not all oil is burned off from injection. Now, if you look at the idea that this oil covers the entire area of the crankcase, it seems logical that gravity would capture some of this oil as it runs down toward the bottom of the motor, find it's way into that hole, which is oriented in an up/down direction and dribble oil into that chamber. That, I agree to.

But, for that oil to be burned off, that means it would have to go against gravity and climb upwards into the PTO cylinder (which viscosity and weight doesn't seem to favor oil moving upward), fall into the casing area and mix with fuel. I don't see this possible. Here's why. Your statement that the oil/fuel mixture passes through the crankcase bearings isn't completely accurate. If you'll note in the pix I've provided, you'll be able to see this. Looking at the counterbalance shaft, you'll see two rubber seals, identical to the seals in our jet pump, without the metal casing. Their design along with the spring, are there to support a tight seal. It appears to be more hermetic than the bearing seals at the crank. If not, then you could assume that if oil is leaking passed them, the same would be true of our Jet Pumps.

If you look at the crankshaft really well, you'll notice there is a closed bearing design on that side of the crank. The roller balls of the bearing are only exposed from the inside crank casing area, not from the balance shaft area. You can also see that thin washer looking piece. This does not have any holes in it for oil to pass from between the crankshaft area to the CB area. The roller bearings from the inside area of the CB cavity are open to the oiling side of the reservoir. So, that would lend credence that those outer bearings are lubricated but backed by a seal, so the oil is not lost from that void.

The engine sits in position relative to the hole at a degree, which is somewhere along the lines of 12 to 14, I'm sure that is documented somewhere, I just don't have that fact easily available while doing this reply. So, that would leave the 1 ounce of oil, moreso in the balance shaft side, than the crank side. In saying that this oil migrates from this cavity into the crank casing, seems all but impossible when you analyze it, though it doesn't mean that this cavity does not have additional oil enter the void via the internally ported hole from the upper part of the PTO side casing.

This CB area is exposed to the pulse pressure of the engines operation but I don't think its capable of filling this void with oil. If there were two holes, one top, one lower, then you could say there was circulation. But as it is, it's more of a dead pocket, seperated from air and oil flow of the casing. If by some chance oil did circulate into this area regularly during operation, I know from experience, that the friction created in a totally submerged set of cog gears, would be so great it would not be capable of turning the high revolutions these engines turn. .....

I've tried to take some pix of my older motor. I have yet to rebuild it because I have no real need for it yet. And the truth of the matter, I have two kids that come before my toys and my wife would shoot me if I did. I have been buying parts for it over the last year, one by one....:rofl:

Not only do I highly respect Bill O'neals work on the internet but I too respect yours (Chester) and other mechanics in our forum. I know you say you've built many motors over. But, the next time, look at the bearings inside the motor, how their rollers are exposed to lubrication, then look at those in the counter balance area and note, they are closed. Like I've said from the beginning, this is not a hermetically sealed area, but it is a seperated area inside the engines casing.:cheers:

Attachments

• CB shaft.jpg
    CB shaft.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 23
  • Crank.jpg
    Crank.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 22
  • Crank and balance.jpg
    Crank and balance.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 22
  • Fill hole.jpg
    Fill hole.jpg
    219.5 KB · Views: 21
WOW!!.I really touched off a discussion there!!I agree with "Mr.Snipe" in the fact that the one ounce of of oil in that reservoir(if you can call it that)is going nowhere.And also there is a reason water does not run uphill:gravity people!!:agree:
That is to say unless you have a cracked case,internal damage of some sort.
I think also that if you overfill it may get on to the counter wieght and get flung everywhere,and it should be on the gears where it belongs.
I think this topic has been beaten to death but I REALLY would still like to know around what year this motor is.
What are we talking about here anyway,an early 95?

Note that 1995-1996 787 don't have a check/fill plug. I was just looking at a 787 engine on my work bench trying to get a beter understanding on how this oil stays in the counter balance gear cavity. :) I was seeing something that I could not understand It apears that their are 2 places for crankcase pressure and atomized fuel to enter or leave this cavity. They are both located within a couple of millimeter from one another. 1 hole that Louis has pointed out and another that is between the labyrinth washer and the bearing that resides with it. There is about .010 inch clearence all the way around the labyrinth washer and the bearing. I am trying to figure out what is keeping the atomized fuel oil mixture from washing that oil from that cavity. I have seen many engines that have less than .006 of a inch clearence between piston and cylinders and that mixture always seems to find its way between there. If you can help me to find away to keep the oil in the cavity I sure would apreciate it,other wise I may have to add a fill plug so that i can keep adding oil so that I do not burn things up.:stupid: :agree:

Hey, could anyone tell me if Labyrinth Washers ever wear out, or is there ever a need to change one? Are they just steel, or are there rubber components on it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back