What is considered high running time?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

FunRunner

Looking to buy a 2001 Utopia 185 with a 200hp Optimax. I've have a Mercury Marine tech doing a pre sale inspection on the engine before I buy it. Just wondering what would be considered high time on this engine? He will be doing a scan of the the on board "computer" to get the running time and anything else that is useful in deciding to purchase or not?
Thanks

tuff to say, depend'n on the "maintenance", ski/boat can last long time. Read about them hav'n 200+ hrs w/ no prob,then have read where just above 50hrs and they're drop'n a new motor. Do compression test, take a look over the boat, you'll see, if its had attention to it, or just used it, because the had a boat....good luck

Thanks for the reply! A compression check will be done along with the computer scan. I've heard 115-120 psi minimum for a compression check. Should I walk away from this deal if I see any less on any of the cylinders? Also if compression is good but has 500+ hours on it should I stay clear? What is the average useful life of these Opti's?

Thanks again!

Any more than a couple hundred hours and I would walk away. If the compression is below about 120 run for the hills. The Optimax is a good motor, but most dealers want about 13,000 to replace one.

Also make sure the mechanic has a good look at the pump, including both the oils and the impeller.

Aaron

Thanks for the help guys! Looks like the owner was honest. He is the second owner and had the boat for 6 years. He said he might have put 45 hours on the boat. Previous owner only told him it was lightly used. Turns out it has 68 hours total time. All cylinders are within 4 psi at 145 psi on average. Wear ring and impeller are in great shape. Forgot what the clearance is.
Thanks again!

What did it cost you to have this type of check done? It seems very thorough and I would love to have it done on the Utopia I am buying.

I got my 2001 Utopia a few months ago and paid $7600. Before buying it, I had a mechanic check it out and it cost me $95 for a printed report from a certified Merc technician. The compression averaged 140 psi and even. It had 118 hours and was only used in freshwater. There was absolutely no corrosion anywhere.

I looked at a couple others around the same age and thought the one that had 360 hours had way too many hours for the price ($7100).

It's a buyer's market for boats right now. No one can get financing without good credit and many people who lost jobs, stocks, etc. are selling them at a big loss. Mine was on consignment with a dealer and they were asking $10,500 for the one I got for $7600. The dealer threw in a tune up (since they had to remove the plugs anyway for the compression check) - a freebie worth $195.

Hopefully you got a written record from the mechanic in case you end up going somewhere else and they tell you there are more hours on it. Then you can go after the first mechanic!

What'd you pay for it? (Just checkin' my deal.)

I paid $9000 cdn or $7355 us! I did get a full written report from the tech. You would have to drive 1000 miles from here to get to salt water!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back