2004 Utopia engine oil reservoir not filling

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

JholtSRQ

2004 Utopia w/200 Optimax Jet Drive <60hrs

Previous owner ran Pennzoil Marine Premium Plus 2 stroke oil. Boat runs great and have had out 5-6 times. Not being able to tell level in main 2.5 gallon reservoir, I decided it must be low and to top off before heading out again. Wanting to run what the Mercury manual calls for I purchased a 2 gallon jug of Quicksilver Performance DFI 2 stroke oil. I'm pretty sure the shop I had it serviced at upon purchase a year or two ago said it wouldn't hurt it to switch to a different oil, but best practice to wait until previous oil was mostly gone. I couldn't tell level through tank and was unfamiliar with how the alarm alerted, but figured large tank had to be getting very close to empty so I refilled before heading out for the day. I used the entire 2 gallons and actually overflowed the filled neck with only about a 1/2 cup left in the jug. Took the boat out and ran great for about an hour and a half max run time before the boat began to alert to low oil in engine reservoir. The level had dropped just under the inch mark that trips the alarm. I loosened the small cap on the engine reservoir and let the engine idle to bleed/prime, but no change. Being we were 3-4 miles from the launch, the engine reservoir still had plenty of oil and was obviously using it by the level dropping I decided to drive the boat in at about 2K rpm. Probably a 30 minute run to launch, but no change in level. It did not fill and only seemed to use a small amount being 50:1 injection ratio. I tightened the small reservoir cap and have not run it since (about 3 weeks). I used the boat in the gulf and intercoastal so the can be pretty choppy conditions. Tech mentioned I probably just got air in the small reservoir and to bleed through cap as previously mentioned, but it did not pressurize.

I am assuming I will have to drop in water again to retry as I hear not to run on hose more that 3 or 4 minutes.

Any suggestions?

Interested to know what the others say here...

As for flushing, as long as you're on the hose and staying at idle, you should be fine. No carbon seal to wear out. Here's what the 2001 200 Opti service manual says about running on the hose, as it relates to flushing... note that it wants at least 10 minutes:

"Flushing the cooling system is essential after each use in salt water, after the boat has run aground, or when the overheat warning horn sounds (possible debris in jet powerhead).

1. Locate the flush adapter in the boat. Some boats may have the adaptor mounted in the
hull (a) or mounted in the engine compartment (b). Remove flush adaptor plug and attach
water hose.
2. The engine may be run using the Flushing Attachment: DO NOT run the engine above
idle speeds.
3. Turn water on and flush engine block for at least 10 minutes.
4. Remove water hose and install flush adaptor plug.
5. Flush outer surfaces of pump with water stream."

Check this youtube video out... I have found that searching for Optimax outboard info I have better luck. Glad I found this and will be doing a thorough check of my oil system:

I am always paranoid about my oil system but I think it's from all the EFI guys and their crank-based oil pumps failing and destroying their engines. Still I will be going through this and will force advise my teenage boys to go through it with me :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back