Water pto

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

poetbruce

Hello just got my 97 challenger back in the water after new ware ring and carbon seal kit. Kept plastic cover off the carbon seal area to see if carbon seal was tight enough. Saw a lot of water from the pto area is this normal
See pic20230903_102151.jpg

That is not normal. You have way too much water in there. You need to drain it out and put the boat in the water and find the source. Do not start it. Since you were working on the carbon seal, start there.

Carbon seal seems to be ok no leak.it looks like it's shooting out of the pto (clutch flywheel) area. I will look again today. Thanks

I assume it looks like that because you have a few inches of water in there and the PTO flywheel is just spraying it around. Do you have a working bilge pump?

Yes it clears out while riding just wondering if it should shoot out that much while running. No water seeping with motor off.

Unless you hit a real harsh wave and the carbon seal moves a little to let water in, there should be no water entering the hull at all.

You could have a leak in the rubber exhaust couplers or one of the cooling hoses.

The scuppers can also allow water in from the back if they’re worn out. But you’ll see that water enter at your feet first.

The plugs in the stern could allow water in if the gaskets are bad.

Other that that these boats don’t take on water. The engine bay should be almost dry. Maybe a very little water, like maybe a half cup in total.

Drain everything and dry it out with towels. Then get it in the water and check for leaks and correct them first.

You have too much water sitting in the bilge and it is being slung off from the spinning PTO. This is why the PTO has the big gray plastic cover as that slinging water is going to go into the airbox and carbs.
1. Reinstall the plastic PTO cover.
2. Figure out why you have so much water in the bilge.

The water is not coming from the engine or PTO.

Back