Water in engine

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mowery1

Well the 96 gtx got rolled two weekends ago in the river being towed . So I went out today to try and start it and the starter wouldn't turn it over so I thought I would take the plugs out and try it. Well you know where I'm going with this. Apparently when the boy rolled it over he didnt roll it back over correctly and water got in the motor. When I cranked it over it looked like old faithful. So I cranked and cranked trying to get the water out. Put some oil in the cylinders and cranked again. So put the plugs back in with a fully charged battery and it won't turn over. It just clunks..Whst could be causing this? Solenoid gone bad? Any ideas appreciated.

Rust.

Probably at this point you are still fighting water. But two weeks with water in the motor is not good.

I’ve experienced this problem.....solution was:
1) take out plugs and crank away
2) clean the carbs..my pulse side was full of water....the ski was never going to start. Cleaned everything out of the carbs. She started again.....
BTW...mine was submerged for an unknown time.....closed the cottage in November, skis were hanging in cradles in the boathouse when I left (drain plugs open), came back in May...ski was nose up in the boathouse (like JAWS looking back at me....quite the surprise).
The ski is currently back on the water and running better than ever as of this past weekend.

PS...I also replaced the starter, solenoid, ignition coil, spark wires, battery cables.

Well the 96 gtx got rolled two weekends ago in the river being towed . So I went out today to try and start it and the starter wouldn't turn it over so I thought I would take the plugs out and try it. Well you know where I'm going with this. Apparently when the boy rolled it over he didnt roll it back over correctly and water got in the motor. When I cranked it over it looked like old faithful. So I cranked and cranked trying to get the water out. Put some oil in the cylinders and cranked again. So put the plugs back in with a fully charged battery and it won't turn over. It just clunks..Whst could be causing this? Solenoid gone bad? Any ideas appreciated.

What would I do? Pull it, if you didn't get it running within the first couple days the crank is now trashed and you'd be on borrowed time even if you did get it started at this point.

I’ve experienced this problem.....solution was:
1) take out plugs and crank away
2) clean the carbs..my pulse side was full of water....the ski was never going to start. Cleaned everything out of the carbs. She started again.....
BTW...mine was submerged for an unknown time.....closed the cottage in November, skis were hanging in cradles in the boathouse when I left (drain plugs open), came back in May...ski was nose up in the boathouse (like JAWS looking back at me....quite the surprise).
The ski is currently back on the water and running better than ever as of this past weekend.

PS...I also replaced the starter, solenoid, ignition coil, spark wires, battery cables.
I'm thinking I'm looking at replacing the same...Thanks for the reply..

It won’t crank because there is still water in it. Once you put the plugs back in it pulls more water from the crankcase. Pull the plugs and crank while your thumb is over the plug hole. It’ll help pull more water up but the pressure blows your thumb up so it can still crank instead of hydro locking.

I'm thinking I'm looking at replacing the same...Thanks for the reply..
Once I got as much water out of the ski/engine as possible (cracking it over, thumbing the holes, etc), putting rolled up paper towels down the spark plug holes (not cranking it), etc....a teaspoon of engine oil down the spark holes and additional cranking to keep things oiled up......also sucked out and replaced the engine oil (was surprised that there was not much water down in there.....changed as much out as possible anyway as I was already into it.

Replaced a lot of electrical parts...simply because the ski was submerged for an indefinite period and it was a USED ski to me, so I said what the heck.....if I'm taking it all apart, all new pieces and parts are going back in...my labor is FREE...I can't imagine what a dealer would have charged, IF I could even get one to take on the project. I have learned a great deal about my machine while tinkering with it, so swearing and blood letting were all ultimately worth it to me....I was absolutely adamant that the ski would run again...and it does now, better than ever. Don't give up the ship !!!! Cheers and good luck.

Once I got as much water out of the ski/engine as possible (cracking it over, thumbing the holes, etc), putting rolled up paper towels down the spark plug holes (not cranking it), etc....a teaspoon of engine oil down the spark holes and additional cranking to keep things oiled up......also sucked out and replaced the engine oil (was surprised that there was not much water down in there.....changed as much out as possible anyway as I was already into it.

Replaced a lot of electrical parts...simply because the ski was submerged for an indefinite period and it was a USED ski to me, so I said what the heck.....if I'm taking it all apart, all new pieces and parts are going back in...my labor is FREE...I can't imagine what a dealer would have charged, IF I could even get one to take on the project. I have learned a great deal about my machine while tinkering with it, so swearing and blood letting were all ultimately worth it to me....I was absolutely adamant that the ski would run again...and it does now, better than ever. Don't give up the ship !!!! Cheers and good luck.

That's great you didn't give up and got it on the water again after having water in the engine for what was likely at least weeks if not months. About how long have you used it again after the engine was water logged?

It will help if you roll it on the side where the exhaust exits the cylinders with the cylinders pointing down slightly and crank it with plugs out. Most times they're just too heavy to do that.

It won't actually run till the engine can be cranked with plugs in without plugs getting doused with water, you'll be removing them numerous times to rinse them in something like acetone to absorb water and blow them dry with compressed air.

Because I know I'll be removing them so many times until enough of the water is pumped out, I install them hand tight. until it begins to fire off and run then tighten them normally.

Good luck, it's not a whole lot of fun but must be done.

Well I have some good news..Got the gtx going tonight. The small shop vac was my friend. I got alot if water out of the motor tonight with the small vac . Three canisters full to be exact. Put a fresh battery in, poured a little two stroke mix in each cylinder , plugs in and started cranking . It finally took off . Let it run for little while on the hose. Now it fires right up...Thanks for all the help..

You da man! I knew it could be done....now, if she starts to falter in the future,
I’d think some love to the carbs or corrosion in the plugs would be worth looking into! Happy Trails......

That's great you didn't give up and got it on the water again after having water in the engine for what was likely at least weeks if not months. About how long have you used it again after the engine was water logged?
I’ve used it a couple times this season.....finally got the carbs sorted out last weekend.....replaced SBT kits installed over the winter (I’m in Upstate NY) with my original Mikuni parts. This past weekend the ski ran phenomenal....full throttle response on water, more power and speed than she has ever had, starts on the button push.....ready to put her through the wringer this year. Of my 3 skis, the ‘96 is the most comfortable and the fastest of the bunch, hands down.....running side by side I’m 3/4 throttle while the other skis are squashed....she’s a bucking bronco now!

BTW, if that's the 787 you especially need to get it out on the water ASAP to burn remaining water out of the balance shaft area. If it has the plugs for balance shaft drain and fill, empty out the soup and refill with SAE 30

Where would these plugs be located?

Balance shaft case area, rear next to the PTO flywheel, but unless its had an engine swap 97' up, the 96' 787 engines didn't have the drain and fill plugs from the factory. If you ever remove the engine you and can drill and tap to install some caps for later. I did this when I had the 787 out of my 96' GSX.

20190507_191605.jpg

Attachments

• 20190507_191637.jpg
    20190507_191637.jpg
    649.6 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Good to hear you got it going! I hope it escaped any serious damage inside. Sorry if my initial response sounded a little harsh, I have worked on a lot of motors that were flooded and non turned out good. However, they all were flooded, got the water worked out but never run to "dry" them out. The end result was a new motor. Then I remembered back to the old snowmachine rule for a sunk sled of "leave the water in the crank" until you get to a garage and can clear it out. Leave it in the water, no air, and it delays the rust formation. I am very interested to hear how the machine runs over the summer.

As for them running better after being sunk? We dropped an xlt into the Chena and didn't get it out until 24 hours later. We had it going an hour after we got it out and everyone that rode after the sinking said it was the best running xlt they had ever ridden......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back