Warranty Issue on my 2010 Seadoo RXT-X

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

pete5016

In May, I bought a brand new 2010 Seadoo RXT-X and 2009 RXT iS. I got a FOUR YEAR extended warranty with the purchase. In the course of three months, I have put 15 hours on both of the ski's, and paid the dealership over $600 for the 10 hour maintenance.

I have had a couple of minor issues with the new ski's (broken seat, inoperative gauge, broken trim piece), but nothing major. And for the most part, the dealership has been responsive.

After completing the ten hour service, I took the ski's out for a day trip. After putting another hour on my 2010 RXT, I decided to head back to the ramp. On my return trip, my ski idled rough and would not accelerate.

After reading a few posts, it appeared obvious that my wear ring needed to be replaced. A trip to the dealership today confirmed that.

I did not suck anything into my ski, or abuse it, yet the dealership said this is a "wear" item and not covered by warranty.

Does it make sense that a new ski (used only four months) with 15 hours would need a new wear ring? Has anyone had this issue?

Do I have any recourse with BRP?

Any suggestions?....

Thanks for helping a newbie to the board!!!! :thumbsup:

Before my new Seadoos, I owned a set of Kawasaki STX-12F for three years, and never had a single issue with them (other than changing out the spark plugs every year).

The dealership wants $350 to replace the wear ring. I don't believe I did anything to cause this damage or "wear", so I am a little P.O.'d to have this bill on my new ski.

I assume you mean both were brand new in May.
Even if "nothing major" that's still a lot to go wrong on a brand new skis.
But anyways....
He is right about it being a "wear" item. It usually wears out due to long use or sucking ropes, rocks, sand, etc up into the impeller area. Is the impeller OK? But it usually doesn't run rough because of it.
You can try talking to the Seadoo rep(meet him at the dealership with your ski).
You can do the wear ring yourself and save $300. Search the forum for details.

Sounds like there's something clogged in the exhaust take the ski home and give it a good flush and retest it I had something In my exhaust and I could not excellerate and ski vibrated would have thought it was a wear ring but I kno I didn't run over anything so I took the ski home flushed it took it back out and bingo ran like a champ again I bet that's your prob not a wear ring

:agree: Wear rings just don't wear out that fast, and also it doesn't sound like a symptom of a worn wear ring. If the wear ring was bad you would get cavitation. My wear ring lasted 14 years.

Check for a blockage, maybe something wrapped around the drive shaft.

Lou

:agree: Wear rings just don't wear out that fast, and also it doesn't sound like a symptom of a worn wear ring. If the wear ring was bad you would get cavitation. My wear ring lasted 14 years.

Check for a blockage, maybe something wrapped around the drive shaft.

Lou

Lou,

Thanks...but no luck. I now have a $333 repair bill from the dealer for a new wear ring. I called and talked to BRP, but my dealership told them that they found sand and tree bark in my impeller (which is not true, I did inspect my impeller prior to taking it to the dealer, and there was nothing in it), so now I am officially screwed. (I guess I won't return to that dealer either).

So, I guess I will be learning how to work on these ski's myself. So much for a four year BRP warranty...guess that's worthless.

The Kawasaki ski's I owned for three years were bulletproof....I should have known better than to purchase a Seadoo.

Pete,

I've been a SeaDoo owner for years, but I have never owned a 4-tek, but I'm starting to agree with you. I stated in another thread, if I were in the market today for a 4-stroke ski, I would probably buy a Kawa.

I will however keep my old 2-stroke SeaDoo's for as long as I can, I think the older 2-strokes are more fun to ride. Got a buddy that bought a 4-stroke Kawa last year, it comes close to the older 2-strokes. Smaller, more agile, and lighter than the SeaDoo 4-teks.

Good luck, it sounds like you're going to need it.

Lou

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back