Warning: Topside Powersports

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

IDoo2

My husband took one of our Sea Doos into Topside Powersports because it would start but didn't stay running. After describing the situation to the "technician" he said the carbs needed cleaning. So my husband asked for the carbs to be cleaned (quoted $100 each) and a choke cable to be replaced (quoted $20+labor). After almost a month with no contact from them, he called to see how it was coming along. He was told the bill was somewhere around $400 (the guy on the phone didn't know the exact amt and said he would have to call him back) and the choke cable still hadn't been replaced. They claimed to have found a stripped screw while cleaning the carbs and replaced one of the carbs with a USED one without contacting me first. We had an extra sitting at home. Had they called either of us, we never would have agreed to replacing the carb. To beat it all... the ski STILL doesn't run right. In fact, they admitted to us on the phone that it won't even start. It ran fine with a water hose hooked to it before he took it in. They had no idea how to fix the ski and replaced additional parts without our knowledge.

When the guy finally called back to advise how much it was going to cost to get it back (and the ADDITIONAL stuff they needed to do to it to get it running) he told them to keep it. We had $600 in the Sea Doo... it was going to cost more than that to get it running although we weret old the choke cable and carb cleaning would cover it. There are other places to get your parts and service. Avoid these rip offs!
:rant:

I agree with you 100%! I took my Seadoo Xp there because trim wasnt working. So they put a used one on it and it didnt work either. That was $165 then they said my MPEM was bad and that would cost $300 and then it didnt work but it was ok to try to sell my MPEM that "didnt work" which it did fine so I have 2 MPEMs that work. The cut wires because they could not get it started and was saying it would cost $400 for trouble shooting even though they ruined all the wires in the back half of the ski from cutting them, taping them back and cutting them in another place on the same wire. Then when we called back it was going to be $800 because they spent so long working on it after being told not to bother it anymore. When I get my ski the battery had been dropped because theres a huge dent in the side of it.

I agree with you 100%! I took my Seadoo Xp there because trim wasnt working. So they put a used one on it and it didnt work either. That was $165 then they said my MPEM was bad and that would cost $300 and then it didnt work but it was ok to try to sell my MPEM that "didnt work" which it did fine so I have 2 MPEMs that work. The cut wires because they could not get it started and was saying it would cost $400 for trouble shooting even though they ruined all the wires in the back half of the ski from cutting them, taping them back and cutting them in another place on the same wire. Then when we called back it was going to be $800 because they spent so long working on it after being told not to bother it anymore. When I get my ski the battery had been dropped because theres a huge dent in the side of it.

Guys I lived up in that area for a year, stay away from that place, I went in their a few times to buy parts and thats it, they seemed to be crooks at least in the terms their guys where not that well trained so a customer would pay for such. As far as a good seadoo mechanic in that area I know of none, try looking into knoxville instead, I know it can be a pain to drive in traffic there but there are too many ill fitted mechanics in that area. The problem is that jetskis while many people have them there it is not huge for that area. Give them a call first and talk to a tech there, while they are on the phone you will know from how they word things to you if they know what they are doing, if you get alot of "ah, well, um, huh, ill have to look it it's" then call another shop!

If you need something major head over to Smith powersports in Hayesville. NC. I guess it would be 2 to 3 hours from ya.

I know this is an old thread, but I wouldn't let them keep those skis. Call the sherrrif and have him meet you at the shop, take the ski home with his assistance, if needed.

And do not pay a penny if the broken items are not fixed. If they can prove it is fixed, then pay, if not, I am sure sherrif will agree that you don't neeed to pay for it.

If you leave that ski, they will get it running and sell it for big bucks.

For all you know, they may be scamming you by pretending that they cannot get it running so you WILL leave it for them to sell off.

I wouldn't take my lawn mover to smith's power sports. They have my boat for three months (winter time) to fix the glove box and couldn't get it done and when I got it back had more issues than when it went. :boxing_smiley:

My nephew took his to Al's Cycle shop and always had good service there - I have it now in Ohio and running fine to Canada for 3 years.

I'm going to go ahead and close this thread. The OP hasn't been on since this past summer and I think the point was made.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back