wakeboarding

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

lottinala

i was wondering, ive just bought a 1996 sortster with twin rotex not sure what size but i would guess the 155hp. my question is does this boat have enough power to wake behind confertable and does it have enough wake to do much jumping, i know its not going to have a wake like a boat that is made for wakeboarding but hope i get more than say my jet ski, i question is does it have enough to put out the bucks for a tower.

First off your 1996 Sportster doesn't have twin 155hp motors. It has twin 90hp motors in it. I would have to say yes that you should be able to wakeboard with no problem if the motors are strong still. These boats don't make that big of a wake due to the jet drive but I haven't been on a twin motor just my single motor Challenger. Mine wouldn't pull someone up last year but that is because the impeller and wear ring were junk. My mechanic said it will pull someone up now no problem. I am waiting for the nice weather to find out.

Your Sportster will have plenty of power to pull a wake boarder. I'm not sure I would spend the big bucks on a tower on a boat that old...

Karl

Wake?.......

You'll have virtually no wake for "tricking".......these boats are great for tubing, kneeboarding and sking........

The wake series Seadoo's are really about the best models for wake boards because of the ability to take on ballast to get a lower profile for displacing more water as it moves through the water.

The size of the wake is always determined, in ever boat, the amount of hull in the water, displacing water as it moves. The boat creates a void in the water, say a couple feet. As the transom of the boat progresses forward, the water fills back in behind the boat. The deeper that profile, the more water fills in behind the boat.......thus giving it a larger wake profile.:cheers:

thanks to everone that give a reply to my question and my sons not going to be happy about no wake and not to good for me nether because i can see another boat in my future. thanks dans97 for the correction on the motor size i didnt know i just bought it because i picked it up for a song and a dance, ill have to look itno it a little deeper so i can get myself more up to date with what i just purchesed. hope everyone is serviving the weather and it doesnt give everyone the blues.

It rained here in the Sunshine State today...first cloudy rainy day in like 3 Months...Boy was I depressed. :(

That's ok it's gonna be warm and sunny tomorrow...:)

Time to fire up the seadoo again.

Karl

Yeah it is going to be a blistery 12 today up here in Mass. We are talking about negative single digits this weekend. Not a fun time for us up north right now. We are waiting for the warm weather though.

Dan,

When you say negative single digits.....Your referring to the tides right? :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Craig in Sunny Florida

Yeah it is going to be a blistery 12 today up here in Mass. We are talking about negative single digits this weekend. Not a fun time for us up north right now. We are waiting for the warm weather though.

42 here this morning in the Melbourne, FL area.. they say its gonna dip into the 30's tonight... Sheiter.

hey bud i just got back from down there for the chrismas and new year week. the wife and i are looking at moving down there as soon as i can get all my eggs in a row. we are looked at houses in cocoa, cocoa beach , merritt island,volusia area, but we found a house we realy liked over on banana river rd. right off 528. i cant believe its going to be that cold down there but this front is a mean one so i guess it can make it down that far. hopefuly we can make it down soon, we are ready to do a little more house looking.

Tricks

I have a 99 speedster and have actually been able to pull off some tricks on the wakeboard. Im not sure about the differences in our boats hull depth and what speed you board at, but with mine it is possible. The slower you are able to go and stay up comfortably gets the larger wakes. Im not talking big air like the pro's, but you can pull off some pretty fun stuff. I also think it would be fun for your son, not sure what age and size, but if hes younger he could probably pull of some pretty cool tricks. It would be good for just starting. I would give it a try before giving up, after all my seadoo is the funnest boat I've owned, not just for boarding, but for being out on the water. Find the big wakeboard boats or house boats and hit there wake with the doo and ooooh yeah!!! You'll find they love to be in the air!! :cheers:

Hope it helped..................

Good time to buy down here man!! 1 million percent buyers market.. I can't tell you how many forclosures there's been. Good luck!
I live right across the Eau Gallie Causeway (518) beachside in indian harbour.. right near the intersection of 518 and A1A, behind the Key West Bar if you know where that is. Shoot me a line if you move down here!

hey bud i just got back from down there for the chrismas and new year week. the wife and i are looking at moving down there as soon as i can get all my eggs in a row. we are looked at houses in cocoa, cocoa beach , merritt island,volusia area, but we found a house we realy liked over on banana river rd. right off 528. i cant believe its going to be that cold down there but this front is a mean one so i guess it can make it down that far. hopefuly we can make it down soon, we are ready to do a little more house looking.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good time to buy down here man!! 1 million percent buyers market.. I can't tell you how many forclosures there's been. Good luck!
I live right across the Eau Gallie Causeway (518) beachside in indian harbour.. right near the intersection of 518 and A1A, behind the Key West Bar if you know where that is. Shoot me a line if you move down here!

i know exactly were you are talking about my dad when and looked at a motorhome right there were you live, at the bait shop and tv repair shop but i will maybe next time im down that way we could hook up and grab a brew or two. hope to coming back down soon to look at houses again.

I have a 99 speedster and have actually been able to pull off some tricks on the wakeboard. Im not sure about the differences in our boats hull depth and what speed you board at, but with mine it is possible. The slower you are able to go and stay up comfortably gets the larger wakes. Im not talking big air like the pro's, but you can pull off some pretty fun stuff. I also think it would be fun for your son, not sure what age and size, but if hes younger he could probably pull of some pretty cool tricks. It would be good for just starting. I would give it a try before giving up, after all my seadoo is the funnest boat I've owned, not just for boarding, but for being out on the water. Find the big wakeboard boats or house boats and hit there wake with the doo and ooooh yeah!!! You'll find they love to be in the air!! :cheers:

Hope it helped..................

thanks hope it does well for him to he is 14 but and there is a BIG problem and i mean realy Big problem hes 6'1 and goes 215, and im hoping on a football scholership (spelling) to ALABAMA. well we will see glad you enjoy your boat.

I think your son will be alright whether hes a beginner or advanced...

Peep this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kb1o2yfaw4o

the Gator team's "wakeboard" boat broke down so one of their riders just towed behind their film boat, which just so happens to be a seadoo boat. They dont specify what exact boat they use, but judging by the wake and how its only their film boat I really doubt its a specialized "wake" series seadoo, most likely an old sportster or something along those lines.

So I guess that just goes to show that skill and adaptation are all you really "need" in this sport

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back