Value of a non running 1996 seadoo spx

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

cowsgonemadd3

I bought a non running spx. I wanted to fix it but I won't have time. The motor had oil in the cylinders and damage to the pistons that looks like shrapnel damage. It has a trailer with dead lights. Tires are good and has a new jack.

The seadoo has a title. Hull looks ok. New seat cover and rebuilt pump I am told. I paid 350 but worry it's not worth restoring it. A motor will cost me 900 bucks or more to rebuild. Then more to install it. What should I do, part it out or sell it for 450? Is it worth more than 450?

If you want a idea of what's sell on it. Go to ebay look up 96 seadoo spx then go to refine and click completed listing and everything in green sold. It will give a idea of what stuff is worth and you can make the decision if it's worth your time.

Looks like it could be worth a ton in parts. Pumps are going for 150, impellers for over 100 and such. Could get 700 for it in parts.

I paid 500 cdn for my non-running '97 spx sitting on a decreped ezloader trailer under a torn up tarp with a hornets nest and willow growing through it. Seat was falling apart, all plastics severely faded, cracks in the hull. The boys were looking for a tinkering project to toy with. So this was one of those - go knock on the door and see if he'll sell it deals.

We certainly didn't buy it for the looks! However some glass repairs, some grinding, paint, and some badass stickers it will eventually look ok.

Under the seat was a decent power train with all the choices performance mods. However, it had not run in 4+ years (at least) and he said it was not running well when he parked it. It needed work.

After 20+ hours and my cummulative costs now are at around 1800 cdn (including the purchase), which covers seals, hoses, pump shaft, etc, etc, etc ..... misc. We have a crisp solid running machine and are now at least another 500$ more in gas and smiles into it!

If you are wanting a VERY spirited and nimble ride that only a rippin' 800 in an x4 hull can provide - fix it! No matter what it turns out to be that will certainly be cheaper than a new/newer seadoo at thousands$$ more..

Certainly not meaning to be rude, but if you are worried about a 900-1000$ cost now then I may have to make suggestion that you perhaps should pick a different sport. A hundred here, a hundred there, a couple more whenever is the norm. ..... You have to budget 300-600 per year on these things for up keep and basic maintenance. Then add gas money, plus mods/addons you want, plus plus plus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FVLnTmf-cA

405.jpg

406.jpg

407.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2014.jpg
    IMG_2014.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_2018.jpg
    IMG_2018.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 9
Last edited by a moderator: