V8 seadoo Challenger

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Altitude

Anyone replaced their merc junk with a V6 or V8 aluminum car engine. My 210 threw a rod and the dealer wants 12 grand to replace with new short block as there are no rebuilts available. Looks like a custom mount and a little enginuity would make it work . Any one tried this? Comments? May be a winter works project.

Wow!.......what profit!

This is a perfect example of how the industry ties your hands behind your back. That is exactly why we are here, in this forum. To look for a fix to our problem.

I'm not even going to get on my soap box about this kind of rip off.

Follow this link, ....http://www.crowleymarine.com/index.cfm and give them a call. Tell them what you need and they'll ask you a few questions about the condition of your core. The last time I checked, their engine replacements were only a few thousand dollars.

I don't think you really want to put a Chevy motor in that boat. Though, it would be kinda cool!..........:cheers:

you ever said you had to keep the jetdrive, put a merc 350 5.7L magnum with 300hp with a outdrive..... defeat the purpose of haveing a seadoo put would still be kool.

V8 Challenger

Going to do more research this week, aluminum block and heads are about 300 lb, same as merc , but then all the other stuff adds wieght. I will keep you posted on my progress. Hmmm maybe a Caddi Northstar!!!!!!! 300HP
Any one know what a new 175 is worth, same block , add my electronics and dual exhaust makes it a 210.

I dont think you would want to go direct drive. 1:2 ratio might be about right. 3500 rpm on the motor would be 7000 rpm at the pump. I like the idea of a 200hp outboard from honda. Then you could sell it as a 150 speedster.

They run sprint jet boats that are about 16' with a small block. Look for a used Berkley jet drive unit it will be cheaper than trying to make the v8 engine work with the SeaDoo unit.

At least its not a Force L-Drive... there's plenty of Worse engine/propulsion combinations/less reliable, etc.

The only problem with a full V6/V8 conversion is weight. Everything else can be finagled. Don't listen to anyone who says it "won't fit" or it "won't mount" etc. Weight, though can't be ignored... As an example, the current 190hp Mercury Marine 4.3litre v6 weighs about 750 lbs wet plus sterndrive, at least following their website... 850 lbs with a sterndrive...

Ever thought of using a turbocharged 4cyl mopar engine from the late 80's early 90's you could be making some real hp with little weight and it would be TURBO! These engines can be purchased for about 100.00 and are extremely common as well as parts and both are inexpensive.

Given the choice I'd rather a naturally aspirated v6 to a turbocharged 4, simply because turbo = heat, and in an enclosed engine bay right next to the fuel tank, I'd like to limit heat ;)

Also, most 4 cyl's are longer than a v6.

Looks like I will scrap the project, my insurance company paid for a new Merc. bent rod caused by hydralic lock, water in enginei is the same as sinking. It works for me!!!!!!!!!!!!! $11500.00 cdn

Horsepower....

Well, good thing. I see where we're trying to go V-8 for horsepower. I think the 4-TEC, light weight, supercharged engine is already available in a boat with over 500 hp. :cheers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back