Please help 1999 seadoo challenger boat. No Start, only when jumping relay will it turn over

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aaronl522

Hello all I'm new here, I'm automotive inclined but newbie with boats.

I have a 1999 sea-doo challenger jet boat with a single rotax (787?) That will not crank/no spark at plugs.
When putting the lanyard on the post, the dash gauges respond and light up but I cannot get a single Beep. (I ordered new beeper today). When testing the positive side of starter relay I've got 12+volts but on line going to starter remains 0 volts that supply the starter power no matter the start button being pressed or not.

1. I installed a new relay thinking that was bad. Still same problem.

2. Installed new neutral safety switch . Still same problem.

3. Checked all fuses (none blown) and replaced all with new fuses just because.

4. Checked all wiring from dash back to rear fuse panel (MPEM) nothing exposed. With lanyard attached and battery switch turned on, i checked voltage to each fuse on mpem and each receiving 12+volts. Fan works, radio works, bilge etc

When pressing start button you just hear one single click coming from rear panel under the hood/hatch and rpms drop from starting position to zero on the dial. Then after about 30 seconds you hear another click from the automatically like the boats (reset) once this happens you can press the start button again and get the same "one click" issue. Pressing the start button more then once wont make it click more it only makes 1 click that first time. Battery is good. Plugs, wires new. I sanded down and tightened the grounds for battery, gauges everything I could reach. Fyi the 10AMP fuse under the dash in front of steering wheel had a popped fuse when I bought boat. I replaced it and nothing happened.

Is the MPEM bad? I get no beeps .

I've tested the yellow wire going into the relay that comes out of the mpem and it has no voltage at all at any point with or without key.

Pressing the start button 5 times I get like a squeal 1 short and one long squeal assuming the beeper on it's way out. What's this mean? Any help is appreciated thank you in advance.

Does not have twin rotax engines just the single rotax

When you go into the electrical box, have you checked that fuse for continuity? Ive had friends bring their crafts by and all they needed was a single fuse where they didn't know there was one.

I hope that is all it is, ill check back later.

Cheers

Hey thanks for the reply! I've been able to figure out a few things firstly, it's a 1996 sea doo challenger with the single 787 rotax engine. I've checked the fuse box under the front dash and all the fuses receive power, I've also checked the fuse box (gray box) in the rear near the engine and all fuses are good and are getting power however the yellow wire that goes into the starter relay itself is not getting any ohms or volts.

I replaced the starter relay and the beeper, when you put the dess key on the post it makes no noise no beeps at all. Pressing the start button 6 times puts it into diagnostic mode (1 short, 1 long beep) and then putting the key on after going into that mode also does nothing. I believe either the dess key doesnt go to this boat or the MPEM is fried? I bought the boat in this condition and the previous owner said the starter was bad however I did not try to jump the relay whole purchasing I tool his word for it :( battery fully charged and every fuse is accounted for.. any thoughts? I've tried finding a conversion kit for mpem but they do not make them for this boat?

Any help at all is appreciated !
Any pwc dealers ive called here in south Florida say it's too old and they dont work on them (5 different places)

Here is the fuse box/mpem at the rear of the boat inside the engine bay

Attachments

• 20211029_091619.jpg
    20211029_091619.jpg
    307.9 KB · Views: 7
Here is the fuse box/mpem at the rear of the boat inside the engine bay
Addressing the DESS, have you attempted to have the key ID reprogrammed to match the current mpem?

Alternatively, would it benefit you to source a new/used mpem and key? If you bought the boat to use it rather than flip it, over-investing isnt necessarily bad if you reliably get to use it. Yes?

Have you checked the harness info against this models parts manual? Maybe someone bought a boat, swapped the box and sold it to you “as is”. (Arse-hole style)

Cheers

PS Mechanics for these two stroke machines are primarily racer/tuners and garage jockeys. There is no money in the labor costs until May hits, when all the hooples pay $260 for carb rebuilds on rush order.

Hi,
From what I understand the dealer would need to program the key to the mpem and those few dealers I mentioned, one specifically said they simply dont carry the software any longer for this particular boat because the way sea doo made them. I am not entirely sure if he was trying to tell me it was hopeless? Or just to keep looking.

I purchased this boat because I have 5 younger children and we had a craft just like this back in 2013, I was able to rebuild the engine itself at that time using youtube and it ran great! we never had an electrical issue to contend with, fast forward to now and with this one was confident I could fix it and actually use it as we sold the other great running boat when moving up north for a time.

Is it possible for me to reprogram a new key if I buy one without any dealer?

Many thanks!

Addressing the DESS, have you attempted to have the key ID reprogrammed to match the current mpem?

Alternatively, would it benefit you to source a new/used mpem and key? If you bought the boat to use it rather than flip it, over-investing isnt necessarily bad if you reliably get to use it. Yes?

Have you checked the harness info against this models parts manual? Maybe someone bought a boat, swapped the box and sold it to you “as is”. (Arse-hole style)

Cheers

PS Mechanics for these two stroke machines are primarily racer/tuners and garage jockeys. There is no money in the labor costs until May hits, when all the hooples pay $260 for carb rebuilds on rush order.
I did reference the box and mpem with the craft and it does match up and belong in the boat. Ending in #46 for that year 1996.

I’m having similar issues with my 02 Sportster LT. Twin 717s. Both motors ran fine back in August, went to winterize it yesterday and starboard motor fired right up fine. Port motor does nothing. I get the beep from the landyard but nothing when the buttons depressed, no click, nothing. Scratching my head on this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back