Turbo two stroke 951 engine!

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

ocod

Was searching my local CL and saw ad "RACE and LIMTED" and had to take a look and to my surprise, its a turbo!

Yes a turbo two stroke!
:drool5:

No number in listing. Just CL email.

Sea Doo GTX 1998 LIMITED **RACING JET SKI** - $3000

01212_jMlkYfxCNyP_600x450.jpg

00W0W_by0iiKKK7BZ_600x450.jpg

01414_kPIxeKq7mJG_600x450.jpg

00q0q_lfYN15ltWCN_600x450.jpg

01717_62zD4TOqFcl_600x450.jpg

00000_2RjpSRz1UDb_600x450.jpg

00M0M_fxzhPn6OcgC_600x450.jpg

00W0W_cdYGczmtju7_600x450.jpg

00b0b_4ZTUuDtSZZt_600x450.jpg

RACING SEA DOO GTX 1998 LIMITED
951 ENGINE TURBO INTERCOOLER 2 STROKES

COMPONENTS: TURBO GT35RR, EXPOWER INTERCOOLER, EMS PROGRAMABLE FUEL MANAGEMENT,
RACEPAK DATA SYSTEM, ELECTROMOTIVE 60-2 DISC AND CRANK SENSOR,
WISECO FORGED PISTONS, CNC BILLET CONNECTING RODS, EDELBROK FUEL PUMP,
AEROMOTIVE FUEL FILTER, COFFMAN HEADER, MCD COILS AND WIRES,
SKATRAK NOZZLE, BRAIDED HOSES AND AEROQUIP FITTINGS, NUJET RACING IMPELLER,
LIGHT WEIGHT HULL, CARBONFIBER HOOD, UMI HANDLE BAR
CUSTOM MADE MANIFOLD AND OIL PRESSURE PUMP AND MORE....

LAST TIME WE USED IT WAS DOING 80MPH (RADAR GUN) WITH 12 PSI BOOST
IT ONLY NEEDS MCD DIS2 AND 4 INJECTORS TO FLY!!
EXTRAORDINARY CONDITIONS, VERY WELL KEPT

Ad
http://miami.craigslist.org/pbc/boa/4622778924.html

Well I guess it is possible to turbo charge a 2-stroke, no practical but possible.

Lou

LOL, as if the 951 isn't already too sexy for it's shirt.

What!!!!!!!

Well I guess it is possible to turbo charge a 2-stroke, no practical but possible.

Lou

Hahahaha
Yip, you and spim were saying no to the newb in other thread
That thread came to mind as I was posting it. I should link him my find.

Turbo, intercooler, Umi, engine/pump/prop in parts alone would be 3k
Let alone all the fab work that went in to build it.:piggy:

Waiting to see what the 951 regulars and fabricator's have to say......

i honestly don't see how the detonation on that thing is not out of control, or how it hasn't blown a piston skirt apart. also got to keep in mind the life span of the thing. what maybe 10-15 hours? maybe. also while the turbo might be building 12psi boost, what is the restriction on that intercooler. for all we know all its doing is compressing the air and pushing it into the ic where it cools and the engine just draws what it needs from there.

but if they do have it running 12psi like a normal boasted engine, they would have had to do extensive custom piston/ cylinder work so the intake/ exhaust ports closed. i don't know how they're fueling it either, as reeds can't with stand the pressures of forced injection, or how they're keeping the crankshaft seals from blowing to smithereens, or how they're keeping the turbo oiled, how they are spinning a turbo all while keeping the proper back pressure on the exhaust system. plus what about starting the motor and getting the turbo spooling? some 4cylinders sometimes have trouble producing enough exhaust gas to get a turbo spooling and a gt35 is a big turbo, just to give you guys a comparison, the stock turbo size my 7.3l powerstroke is gt38. but i could sit here and ask questions all night, i have a hard time believing this.

Just because they did it.... Doesn't mean it works!
Some people got too much time and money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i honestly don't see how the detonation on that thing is not out of control, or how it hasn't blown a piston skirt apart. also got to keep in mind the life span of the thing. what maybe 10-15 hours? maybe. also while the turbo might be building 12psi boost, what is the restriction on that intercooler. for all we know all its doing is compressing the air and pushing it into the ic where it cools and the engine just draws what it needs from there.

but if they do have it running 12psi like a normal boasted engine, they would have had to do extensive custom piston/ cylinder work so the intake/ exhaust ports closed. i don't know how they're fueling it either, as reeds can't with stand the pressures of forced injection, or how they're keeping the crankshaft seals from blowing to smithereens, or how they're keeping the turbo oiled, how they are spinning a turbo all while keeping the proper back pressure on the exhaust system. plus what about starting the motor and getting the turbo spooling? some 4cylinders sometimes have trouble producing enough exhaust gas to get a turbo spooling and a gt35 is a big turbo, just to give you guys a comparison, the stock turbo size my 7.3l powerstroke is gt38. but i could sit here and ask questions all night, i have a hard time believing this.

A bunch of good questions here. I have known of turbo two strokes before, but usually they are diesel and they are VERY large engines, like ship engines, where operational RPM is ~100 RPM.

It would be nice to dig and see if we could find video of this running, I don't doubt it exists, but it would seem that there are many other ways to go about that power level.

Surely that thing is worth 3000 if for nothing else but to get the pump parts/hull/steering and Race Pac ems.

At least now when people start asking about "can i but da turboz on meh two stroke" we can point him to this thread.

The thick dust in the pump area hints to how long this ill advised project has been laying around. I agree the money is there in parts. Has anyone ever seen or heard of a carbon fiber GTX hood? I haven't....very cool.

Hi, I am a Newb here. I live in North Dakota and own a Performance shop , but not a Newb on a 2-stroke engine. I've been working on a 2-stroke engine for a long time. Mostly on snowmobile. I install a lot of turbo kits on sleds. I have a lot of knowledge on a 2-stroke engine and turbo 2-stroke engine. Turbo 2-stroke engine has been around since 90's as far back I know of. There is a lot of turbo kits to pick from. (Google 'snowmobile turbo kits').

There isn't special seals, pistons, cylinders or porting. The detonation is control by higher octane gas, ignition timing and sometimes they will use a low compression head. To lubricate the turbo , you build an oil tank and use an electric oil pump. A lot of turbo kits use a O2 sensor with a gauge to find lean and rich spot. IMHO, the lifespan of turbo 2-stroke engine is just as good or ever better than a naturally aspirated 2-stroke engine. Turbo 2-stroke engine will last longer than a big bore 2-stroke engine with a high compression head.

I have a Land and Sea Dyno. I personally have tested an Arctic Cat M8 800cc stock with a turbo (Cutler's Performance Turbo Kit). I want to test something out, my gold was to get the most HP with 91 octane gas and the baseline HP was 215 hp, 10 lbs of boost when I started. At the end, it was 239.3 hp with 15.3 lbs of boost. The sled is still running as of last winter, the gentleman who is the third owner told me it is still running good.

I hope this will help to shed the light on turbo 2-stroke engine.

Boost 2-stroke PWC is possible (YES).

Here is the video of Boost 2-stroke sled.

David

[video=youtube;LkA_d4vS7Lo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkA_d4vS7Lo[/video]

Wow man that's awesome. Welcome and thank you very much for the first class input!! You've got the wheels in my head spinning.

Hi, I am a Newb here. I live in North Dakota and own a Performance shop , but not a Newb on a 2-stroke engine. I've been working on a 2-stroke engine for a long time. Mostly on snowmobile. I install a lot of turbo kits on sleds. I have a lot of knowledge on a 2-stroke engine and turbo 2-stroke engine. Turbo 2-stroke engine has been around since 90's as far back I know of. There is a lot of turbo kits to pick from. (Google 'snowmobile turbo kits').

There isn't special seals, pistons, cylinders or porting. The detonation is control by higher octane gas, ignition timing and sometimes they will use a low compression head. To lubricate the turbo , you build an oil tank and use an electric oil pump. A lot of turbo kits use a O2 sensor with a gauge to find lean and rich spot. IMHO, the lifespan of turbo 2-stroke engine is just as good or ever better than a naturally aspirated 2-stroke engine. Turbo 2-stroke engine will last longer than a big bore 2-stroke engine with a high compression head.

I have a Land and Sea Dyno. I personally have tested an Arctic Cat M8 800cc stock with a turbo (Cutler's Performance Turbo Kit). I want to test something out, my gold was to get the most HP with 91 octane gas and the baseline HP was 215 hp, 10 lbs of boost when I started. At the end, it was 239.3 hp with 15.3 lbs of boost. The sled is still running as of last winter, the gentleman who is the third owner told me it is still running good.

I hope this will help to shed the light on turbo 2-stroke engine.

Boost 2-stroke PWC is possible (YES).

Here is the video of Boost 2-stroke sled.

David

[video=youtube;LkA_d4vS7Lo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkA_d4vS7Lo[/video]

i knew they turbo'ed sleds, just never seen one. that's cool as hell. how do you control charge loss? whats the fuel delivery method? what size is the turbo normally?

as for a 951, i'm still a doubter. the 951 technicality is already a big bore motor, on the edge of detonation all the time, even in stock form, that's why whenever you start doing mods to them the first thing you better do is get some aftermarket carbs and start pouring the fuel to it. but technology is advancing everyday, and anything is possible with enough money.

What year 800 did you do this on the 2010 up, or 2009 & down? I assume thats also running race fuel with the stock top end? (I bleed green all winter long...... ;) )

While this is all very interesting, I think and I also think most 951 owners will also agree, the 951 already has a relatively short engine life, so I also think that adding a turbo will shorten an already short engine life. I'm a big fan of SeaDoo and Rotax, but when they developed a larger engine they really should have added an extra cylinder. To me putting 3000 dollars plus into a 2000 dollar ski is ludicrous as evidenced in the add, he still has a 2000 dollar ski. If I were going to spend $3000 plus I would mod. a 4-tec. All of this is just my opinion.

Lou

i agree with Lou. BUT, i sure would like to have a 17 minute life span 951 to pull the trigger on!! twice!

Turbos work on 2 strokes. Dont knock it till youve tried it. Everyone says it wont work but none of those people have ever even attempted to try it.

They Turbo Yamaha Banshees too
[video=youtube;rHS8JuEz_Es]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHS8JuEz_Es[/video]

Someone needs to buy this thing and now. If they didn't tweak the rev limiter, or change the prop, it would never break 70.

I'd hope a turbo would add more than 15 mph.

What year 800 did you do this on the 2010 up, or 2009 & down? I assume thats also running race fuel with the stock top end? (I bleed green all winter long...... ;) )

It was a 2008, as of now he is running on 110 octane gas, the last I heard he was talking about changing the wire harness to 2011 system so that he can put a Vi-Pec on it so that he can change the timing and use a 3bar map sensor to run av gas 100ll.
David

The Coffman's exhaust has a water jacket. It's actually a pipe within a pipe. Normally water injection would be used for boost or added at the stinger but perhaps it's just to cool the walls of the pipe in this instance.

They have tapped the pump so they have twice as much water going in that's for sure. If it were in my town I'd probably snag it and have a look first hand ha-ha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back