Troubleshooting 97 XP

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

mikejf

A couple weeks ago I picked up a 1997 XP that I was told was in running condition, but it may have been a year or so since it last ran. Since getting the ski, I have not been able to get it running. It seems like the starter is turning extremely slow (or not at all?) when the spark plugs are in the cylinder head. However, when the plugs are removed, the starter turns over quickly.

I have been looking at other threads on the forum trying to determine what my problem might be and different ways to troubleshoot but I have not quite been able to solve my problem.

I bought a brand new battery when I got the ski, so I doubt this is the problem. I also supplemented the battery by hooking it up to my vehicle battery (not running) with jumper cables and got the same results. I next took apart, cleaned up, and rebuilt the starter motor with new brushes and seals. I additionally cleaned up the electrical contacts for the starter cables at the starter end and the battery end. I also checked the starter solenoid by jumping it with an insulated screw driver. The resistance in the ground wire and positive wires to and from the solenoid were all very low (0.02 Ohm). When turning the starter over with the plugs out, the voltage between the negative terminal on the battery and the positive on the starter is 10.5V. The compression on each cylinder is 145psi.

I also thought the ski could possibly be hydrolocked but after turned it over countless times (for a short period of time, giving starter a break between attempts), no oil or water has come out of the cylinders. Checking from the rear of the ski, the jet does turn and I can feel exhaust pulses when the starter is turned over without the plugs.

I have included two videos: one showing the ski turning over with plugs in, and the other without plugs.

Any thoughts or suggestions on what to try next would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• SeadooTurningOver.zip
    9.8 MB · Views: 21
  • SeadooNoStart.zip
    15.7 MB · Views: 8
If it's not the starter (or power/ground wires) and you are certain the pump bearings and midshaft. Bearings are good, then it maybe the crank.

Try a new starter solenoid, my 97 had a slow crank then the solenoid died, replaced and cranks much faster.

Check the ground to the bottom of motor.or just run another ground from battery to the block.on the exhaust manifold there is a perfect hole for it just clean the paint.can ohm it out all you want but if there is only a few strands holding on for dear life in the wire it will ohm out right but not be good.the same thing with electric box the ground for solenoid check that also.have had a ton not grounded good and not activate it good enough to hold and get a good contact

Does the motor rotate easily by hand with the plugs out?,,,if not,,,it’s the pump…or engine failure,,,piston, crank, or rotary brass gear,,,.if yes,,,check all connections,,,grounds,,,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back