Trim tab project 99 speedster SK

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
I moved it to the right side of the right jet assembly. I will take a better picture of the outside and inside and post it soon.

Here are some better pictures including one from inside the engine bay

IMG_1670.JPGIMG_1669.JPG

The green wire connects to the back of the zinc
IMG_1671.JPG

Make sure your zinc grounding wire can make it to you new location

Unbolt the plate from inside and then it can go two ways.

*If the bolt is stuck in the zinc... Use the bolt to remove the node by tapping the end of the bolt from inside the engine bay and it should pop off.

*If the bolt comes out when you unbolt the node...Ounce out if the node is stuck on the boat use a rubber mallet and give it a little persuasion. It should come off easy.

Make sure to fill in the old hole at this time with marine sealant so it can cure

Last edited:
Does the trim tab cut down on porposing? With a good amount of fuel and the wife and I , it constantly bobs around 25-30 mph.

100% Yes! Thats one of the reasons we installed it

Keeps the boat more level on smooth and rough water too.

Last edited:
And what about speedometer pickup location on 96 speester? Mine is located directly in the center of the 2 engines so just checking to see.
Thanks

Donnie

And what about speedometer pickup location on 96 speester? Mine is located directly in the center of the 2 engines so just checking to see.
Thanks

Donnie

Sorry... no idea. On the 98-99 they are off to the side in the back so I didn’t have this problem. Have you looked at adding two smaller on each side?

Hi have a simple question the reason you had to move the drain hole was that it did not align with supply bracket that came with the trim tab. Since I have a machine shop do you think I can make a new base so I will not have to move the hole in the boat.I was planning to make it out of aluminum with the hole in the mounting plate in the correct location. Any Ideas?
Thanks

Hi have a simple question the reason you had to move the drain hole was that it did not align with supply bracket that came with the trim tab. Since I have a machine shop do you think I can make a new base so I will not have to move the hole in the boat.I was planning to make it out of aluminum with the hole in the mounting plate in the correct location. Any Ideas?
Thanks

This is kind of a loaded question...

Mainly because it depends on the brand of trim tab and model trim tab to answer your question according.

But I can say this 100%...IF YOU buy the stainless trim tabs sold by nauticusinc.com

They use a Stainless piano style hinge that mounts perfectly under the drain plug and you do not need to move the drain plug OR notch the hinge.

See my installation.

Attachments

• 20190808_065717.jpg
    20190808_065717.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 29
This is kind of a loaded question...

Mainly because it depends on the brand of trim tab and model trim tab to answer your question according.

But I can say this 100%...IF YOU buy the stainless trim tabs sold by nauticusinc.com

They use a Stainless piano style hinge that mounts perfectly under the drain plug and you do not need to move the drain plug OR notch the hinge.

See my installation.

Your boat in the picture is different then our 98-99 speedsters and might have a different result.

Thanks
Love the idea of making your own! You could make a split hinge that mounts on each side of the drain and and a hole/slot in the trim tab plate where the drain hole is. (just an idea)
"this would let the bilge water drain through the tab to the ground instead of drain over the tab."

I did have to move mine because of the way it comes. Moving the plug was not hard and only added the cost of a new gasket and little bit of drying time to the project.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back