Trim tab project 99 speedster SK

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

To2d

Today I installed a new single trim tab from Nauticus. I went with a 60lb SX after talking with them. If you call Nauticus direct they will sell you just one instead of the pair at the stores. Had to move the drain plug up a little and the Zinc to a new location. I am super excited to try it on the water this weekend. Here are some photos of the install.
337.jpg
338.jpg

Had her out on the lake today. WOW! didn't gain much top speed but it sure got up to speed faster. Instant plane! My wife was super impressed and finally was happy I spent the money. The ride on the ruff chop and over other boat wakes was impressive to say the least. I had it set at level 4 out of 5 and backed it down to level 3 and still had the boat planted. Huge improvement!!! They should have made this stock. As for the 360s... Still scared the kids like before and even noticed it would turn harder when you just wanted to do a hard 90. Great mod! Only down side was a little more spray from the back which might be a problem with tubes behind. "Small Spray in the face maybe" Haven't tried that out yet though. Will later this weekend

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes to the smooth water. The control it gives you is awesome and when your on smooth water, it's like piloting a slalom ski thats pinned to the lake. It handled great on choppy water too. It wasn't bounced around. It seemed like it punch through the ruffed water.

Reverse Worked great! Couldn't tell a difference .

If you don't mind my asking, how long did it take you from start to finish? I just bought a 1999 Sea Doo Speedster SK and plan to use it on Lake Michigan. If you think this modification would help, I'm all for it.

Thank you

The install only took 30min and was very easy. Just measured, tape, mark, drill, seal, and screw.
It was the prep that took longer. The hardest part was removing the zinc anode from the hull. I moved the anode to the right side of the right engine without having to re-wire.

I have a 97 speedster planning to install something like that, could you let me know how do handled to relocate the drain hole?

Using the mounting plate that comes with the trim kit. I sealed it over the hole completely. I used a marine grade "RTV". I even went so far as to fill the hole from the inside of the engine bay.

You do this because some of your new hole is going to be over the old hole.

After the sealant completely dried I marked the drain plugs main hole and side screws new location. Drill the main hole with a hole saw and start the two side screws holes.

Add sealant to the drain plug mount and apply it to the new hole on the bracket. Insert the side screws.

Clean up any stray sealant quickly.

Finally... reinstall the drain plug through the mount, screw it in, and your done.

Hope this helps.

How did you decide the 60lb was the right size? I just bought a 1998 speedster w/twin engines 787 and I like this option to addon. Do you also have instructions on how to install this?

I talked with Nauticus for a bit and they help me come up with 60lb. After installing they were right on. The 60lb is perfect. I still have my top speed at about 48-50 and it plans right away. It's adjustable and I tried all the setting. It works great right in the middle "setting 3". If you want more down force setting 1 is crazy but my top speed with just me dropped to 45. Not a big change but the boat was on instant plan. Only problem with setting 1,2 or more spray for tubeing. 3 seams to be my sweet spot.

How to install: watch their videos and check my posts. It's very easy with the right tools. Hardest part for me was relocating the zinc plate if you have one and that is not that hard.

Ok great I’m waiting for a call back? So what’s the reason on our boats we only need 1 in the center when I see they install 2 on all the other boat. Sorry I’m new to boating and this is a new learning challenge for me

No company makes trim tabs that are small enough to be on the outer edges of a twin jet speedster.

The solution is a bigger one for the middle.

Also...The advantage to having just one in the middle is you can still do 360 and not effect the jet ski like turning but get the improved planing and ride over rough water

Ok awesome I will place order tomorrow the tech never returned my call.
Question how exactly do you make this Boat do 360 safely?

Congrats. You should notice a huge difference. My wife loved the change. You should post a picture when done.

To order just one I had to call them and make it a special order. they were happy to do it.
"It was half the cost"

360s safely:
Step 1. Go about 40mph
Step 2. Tell everyone to hold on
Step 3. Maintaining speed and turn the wheel hard to the left or right. "It's more fun to the right"
* do the 360
Step 4. Keep throttle down and drive out of it
Step 5. Listen to the cheering
Step 6. Fist bump the closest person to you.

Congrats. You should notice a huge difference. My wife loved the change. You should post a picture when done.

To order just one I had to call them and make it a special order. they were happy to do it.
"It was half the cost"

360s safely:
Step 1. Go about 40mph
Step 2. Tell everyone to hold on
Step 3. Maintaining speed and turn the wheel hard to the left or right. "It's more fun to the right"
* do the 360
Step 4. Keep throttle down and drive out of it
Step 5. Listen to the cheering
Step 6. Fist bump the closest person to you.

that was great explanation of how to do 360

Do I need to worry about the zinc anode? I’m not really sure what exactly dose this look like? I and looking in my engine bay and I don’t know what exactly ur talking about. I should be getting trim tab in next couple days so I’m trying to prep for it that way I know what to expect

If it is in the way you need to move it. Mine was so I moved it from the center of the boat to the outside

See picture

195.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back