Trailer setup

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

jwall116

When I purchased this ski, it's trailer setup was marginal at best. I have changed the bow winch to a new one with a strap since the picture, but the bow stopper is a solid unadjustable bar with no way to run the strap under the roller. What winds up happening is driving down the road it was slide off the roller in the side to side motion.

What is a good inexpensive fix for this?

Exterior.JPG
Trailer.JPG

Thinking something like this
https://www.etrailer.com/Boat-Trailer-Parts/CE-Smith/CE31005PG.html
or
https://www.amazon.com/CE-Smith-320...ts=p_n_feature_keywords_browse-bin:4806050011

Need to see the entire thing with the stop, but the winch is too high. Maybe drop it down or mount it on the stop's arm? Not sure what you have for a stop though.

As Soccerdad said the winch is pulling the bow up away from the stop, it needs to be pulling it down into it.

Since taking that picture, I have dropped the winch down about 6", if I go any lower the handle hits the ski. It helped but since i can not get the strap under the bow roller, the ski is being lifted higher and higher which lifts the bow of the ski off of the bunks.

What part do I need to purchase? Looking for a bracket to attach to my existing winch support.

I'll take a picture after I get home. But I bought the self ratcheting straps. I mounted one on the flat bar that is under the ski, about 2-3 foot back from the bow. I hook everything up and then run this strap to the bow-eye and tighten it down. This locks the skis down like concrete.

IMG_3879.JPG

Here is what im working with now.

Not sure why it is sideways, but if you click to make it larger it will display correctly. The winch is far too high and i have no way of lowering it so that its functional, or getting strap under the roller.

Maybe something like this, mounted higher with the winch where it is and strap under the roller?
t_448.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_3879.JPG
    IMG_3879.JPG
    841.4 KB · Views: 58
Last edited by a moderator:
So its still hard to see what all we can work with, but you may move the entire assembly forward on the trailer tongue, then raise the roller up to the nose so the hook point is below the roller and the roller is under the rub rail on the ski. Then mount the winch on the same post that has the roller on it. That may give you the room for the crank handle since it will now be farther away from the nose of the ski. You may have to add that piece that you posted, but that roller will have to be raised up.

I will remove the bow roller assembly, move it higher and adjust the post and see if I still have clearance for the winch as it sits. If that is the case, I can order the bracket I posted and get the strap under the roller for a snug fit. Will keep everyone updated.

shouldn't be like this?

and for the part i have drawn in red, see second picture

Attachments

• winch trailer.JPG
    winch trailer.JPG
    142.6 KB · Views: 64
  • 611M95gnbpL._AC_UL160_SR160,160_.jpg
    611M95gnbpL._AC_UL160_SR160,160_.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 47
I'm thinking I would like to see it like this
347.jpg

Attachments

• PO6014-MT.jpg
    PO6014-MT.jpg
    253.4 KB · Views: 59
233.jpg
234.jpg

This is where it stands now.

236.jpg

This locks it to the roller. Won't budge. Wrong way for sure but effective. Roller is degraded and doesn't have a bolt through it so non replaceable.

I'm thinking I would like to see it like this
View attachment 38991

That's correct, the rubber v-block or roller is mounted to the winch stand above the bow eye and below the rub rail. This should get the winch strap under the roller/v-block, then mount the winch accordingly.

Don't forget your bow-eye safety chain should attach to the winch stand.

At least 10% of total weight should be on trailer ball, move winch stand accordingly.

Trailer bunks should be long enough to fully support the transom, to avoid deforming the hull in front of the transom, causing a "hook".

Trailer bunks should support the structural members built into the hull (most often this is a stringer, but small boats might be constructed without).

Stand back and think it all through. Trust me, you don't want your boat shredded by being dragged on the pavement, it makes a huge mess and puts people in danger.

I seem to recall the US Coast Guard boating course covered how a trailer should be configured, it's now mandatory to have this USCG certification in most states else there's a big fine.

236.jpg

Roller is degraded and doesn't have a bolt through it so non replaceable.

It should have a zinc chromate or galvanized push-on retaining ring (external type) that you break or cut off to remove the shaft. Most any hardware store has them and sometimes replacement rollers come with them.

Drive it on using an old deep-well socket that fits over the shaft.

Attachments

• s-l400.jpg
    s-l400.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 29
Here is my HX trailer. The strap goes under the bow roller.

I assume the tongue on your trailer is kinda long since you don't show it in the pics. If so that is a jon boat or vintage aluminum boat trailer adapted to a PWC trailer hence your issues on the bow stop. Also the winch post is tall also leading me down the adapted boat trailer road. Most aluminum boats are tall in the bow and have a hook right at the top just about. Personally you need to evaluate the cost of a used trailer in your area vs what you might sink into this one to get it "working". I get the budget fix totally, but if you could snag a nice pwc single for $300 or less I think you would be happier. I went thru the same scenario when I got back into skis a few years ago. I still had my first seadoos on a double trailer. I never like the look and function of the old bow stops but back in the mid 90's just out of high school and having barely 2 nickles to rub together it worked. So I looked into "updating" the trailer and with buying new tires, bunks and 2 new bow stops (that I would fabricate) the price crept into what I could get a used trailer that needed a set of tires. So I got a used 2 place that was years newer and had all the right bow stops and all I had to add was tires.

My winch post set up

799.jpg

Now for the jon boats

237.jpg

238.jpg

Sorry so late with the pics, just got home.

Here is my general setup.
239.jpg

My bow-stop (which is not my favorite).
240.jpg

Knowing that the bow could jump over the stop, I installed the ratchet strap from the bow headed back to a rail about 3 feet back. I tighten the front winch, then the rear ratchet straps, then the third strap I now have on the bow.
241.jpg

Close up of added bow strap.
242.jpg

Reverse them. Move the roller to the top and the winch to the bottom.

I'll try it! If I reverse them, it will pull the ski downwards away from the roller.

I really would like an inexpensive roller bracket to replace the one thats on the post now which allows me to put the winch at the top of post and run the strap under the roller. Seems this is a hard thing to find???? They are specfic to the trailer brand and/or want the sell the entire assembly for $100+ This is an $800 ski :)

I'll try it! If I reverse them, it will pull the ski downwards away from the roller.

I really would like an inexpensive roller bracket to replace the one thats on the post now which allows me to put the winch at the top of post and run the strap under the roller. Seems this is a hard thing to find???? They are specfic to the trailer brand and/or want the sell the entire assembly for $100+ This is an $800 ski :)

As long as the roller is at the lip of the ski or lower, it won't pull it away from the roller, it will pull it tight to the roller, which is exactly what you want. If there was no roller there, yes, it would pull it down. Once the roller contacts the hull, physics takes over. In theory the ski would want to go forwards over the roller. But it can't as the strap is pulling it down and into the roller. This is what locks the ski in place.

If the roller is to high when swapped, then have the top holes of the winch in the same holes of the bottom of the roller. If the top holes of the roller don't line up at that point, then drill new holes for the top.

The frustrating part is I would like to purchase a new roller and bracket assembly to replace the current one. This seems to be a difficult mission, as the sellers are trailer specific and this design is older. For now, the wrapping of the winch strap around the bar holds the ski snug but it is far from ideal.

Also, a chain shall be installed by me as a safety measure.

I have been emailing with Eastern Marine about this with pictures, Awaiting their response.

Coastie

I appreciate your help with this, I can find your style of bow stop no problem. I can't seem to find one that just bolts, comes straight out and has a roller on it. Needs to be 14" long to allow clearance for the winch.

http://www.boattrailerparts.com/Jet...Support-Bow-Stand-For-2-inch-Post_p_1374.html

Here is yours

And this is not a jon boat trailer. I think it's an ez loader. Will have to check when I get home, I registered it as home made because Texas is a PITA to get them registered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back