TPS test with Digital multimeter

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

rsatina2002

I need your advice, I tested my TPS using digital multimeter i did do a manual connection with 2 wires connecting the ground and blue wire from TPS and ECM.... I set my Voltmeter to 2000 millivolts and reading my TPS set to 208 mV and i know this is normal and I tried to check full throttle voltage and i know the recommendation is 7.46 volts with 20 volts set in digimeter... how can you do a full throttle? Can you just push the lever forward and set the throttle to full instead of removing the cable? I cant get any reading by doing that... please give me advice.. thanks..

Assuming you have the 240 EFI engine-
There are several threads here about the infamous, crazy stupid expensive Merc TPS. I wrote some of them.

Let's back up a bit.
How are you connecting to the tps? There is a VOLTAGE SETTING procedure and a RESISTANCE TEST procedure.

For the voltage set: tps needs to be connected. You will need to disconnect the temp sensor on port side cylinder head. I recommend the test harness from Merc about $30. Makes the job easier. However, it can be done without it. With your meter set to 20V range, pierce center wire and one of the outside wires. Which outside wire? Pick one. Turn key on, engine off. Meter should show somewhere between upper & lower spec. Move throttle lever from idle to WOT. Meter should show smooth increase or decrease. If not smooth, Break Out Another Thou (BOAT). Also, pierce other outside wire and repeat. If meter changes smoothly both times, you dodged a bullet. To make your voltage adjustment, loosen 2 small screws that hold clamps that hold the tps. Rotate tps slightly until you can get your settings. WOT setting is more important than idle. Tighten 2 screws. Gently! Not very big. Reconnect temp sensor.

RESISTANCE TEST: is only to test the tps. Disconnect 3 wire harness. Set your meter to 10kΩ. Connect to center and one outside. Run throttle low to WOT. Same as before--need smooth transition. Swap outside wire and repeat.

Thanks Tim, i have a 240 EFi 1st gen, thats what I did...! So regarding the throttle I need to push the forward/ backward lever for it right to get WOT.... i notice i have some voltage at blue middle wire and white looka like a ground wire... it is reading at 208 mV and i know they recommended .200-.300 volts on it... i did adjust my tps with 20 lb inch torque at 208 mV but for some reason I cant get any voltage on WOT which they recommend 7.46 volts...

208mV = 0.208V.
If you don't show voltage @ WOT, bad news- time to BOAT. Just saw NIB unit on ebay for $592.

Just to be sure- do both resistance tests. SMOOTH transition. This test is actually easier with an old style analog (needle) meter.

Already had my go around with the TPS. Had to bite the bullet and buy a new one. All seems good (so far)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back