Towing Tubes on Speedster 200 and bent ski pole

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

gtoimpulse

Does anyone use the ski pole to tow a one or two person tube (mostly kids under 100lbs) on their Speedster 200? I slightly bent mine this weekend when the rope got wrapped arount the jets. :mad: , now it wont retract. I was using the ski pole to tow the tube and a kneeboard, but should I be using the transom hooks and a centering harness instead? I will have it straightened and reinstall it, do you think it will keep happening?

Thanks.

Does anyone use the ski pole to tow a one or two person tube (mostly kids under 100lbs) on their Speedster 200? I slightly bent mine this weekend when the rope got wrapped arount the jets. :mad: , now it wont retract. I was using the ski pole to tow the tube and a kneeboard, but should I be using the transom hooks and a centering harness instead? I will have it straightened and reinstall it, do you think it will keep happening?

Thanks.

Sounds like the pole was bent when the rope was sucked up. Always keep the boat moving forward when there's a rop in the water, or engine off, and this won't happen.

I usually don't extend my pole fully, just enough so the rope clears, my driver forgot to keep the boat moving once sucked up the rope and no damage was done in this case. My driver is experienced but has been out of the game too long, forgot.

It's acceptable for the boat to continuously circle the skier until he's ready to go, this keeps the rope from being sucked into the jet pump.

You can use the stern eyes, and a harness with a rope through a float or noodle which may help keep the rope out of the pump if ideally arranged. I use my pole at "half mast", just barely raised enough to provide reliable rope clearance, my pole hasn't slipped back down yet, it seems to remain at the height I place it.

Any ropes left attached to the boats tie points can be kept short enough so they cannot fall overboard and be sucked into the jet pump or propellers.

Sounds like the pole was bent when the rope was sucked up. Always keep the boat moving forward when there's a rop in the water, or engine off, and this won't happen.

I usually don't extend my pole fully, just enough so the rope clears, my driver forgot to keep the boat moving once sucked up the rope and no damage was done in this case. My driver is experienced but has been out of the game too long, forgot.

It's acceptable for the boat to continuously circle the skier until he's ready to go, this keeps the rope from being sucked into the jet pump.

You can use the stern eyes, and a harness with a rope through a float or noodle which may help keep the rope out of the pump if ideally arranged. I use my pole at "half mast", just barely raised enough to provide reliable rope clearance, my pole hasn't slipped back down yet, it seems to remain at the height I place it.

Any ropes left attached to the boats tie points can be kept short enough so they cannot fall overboard and be sucked into the jet pump or propellers.

Never say never, circling is how mine got sucked it (not me driving, I was in the water). You can't forget about the current. The ONLY way you won't suck a rope is when the engine is off and you make sure it's clear before you restart.

As far as towing off the pylon, I have kids and adults tube off the one of my '99 Speedster and even my 230# fat azz will ski and knee board off of it. I know guys who have said not to, but then why did they bother to put it on there?? I'll continue to do it until I get a mouth full of broken aluminum.

Yes some poles have bent, but it is not common.

In your case you have TONS of leverage by using your drive shaft. That small diameter with all that horse power on the shaft,,,,, the pole never had a chance.

Never say never - Right, you're liable to suck up the rope if you run over it, LOL, or if it gets under your boat for whatever reason. I've never been pulled up by a boat unless the engine was running, not how that works but sounds very fuel efficient! I guess I need to go back to skiing rivers............

That pop up pylon was only made for skiing. There is way too much drag on the boat when using a tube. With my 98, i used the tow hook by the ski platform. On the 200, ive used the tower with tubes. If i didnt have a tower, i would rig a way to use the tie down hooks.

I never realized towers were designed for pulling tubes, perhaps I need a brief review..........

I never said it was desinged for it...i just said i use it that way. I know its not gonna bend like the little pole, which i know wasnt designed for it because the manual says so. I dont recall the manual for the tower addressing the issue...i have the tower manual though...so ill look and report back.

The operators manual for the boat and the extra manual for the tower both state the pylon and tower both are for skis or wake boards only. Tubes are never addressed. Sinced they dont address it, id say do what works for you. I just know from my experience and others on here, those little pylons will bend very easily. An old member was able to remake a replacement out of solid aluminum. Maybe find a machine shop local who can fab you one up.

I've used it just fine for towing a 2 person tube with a 220lb and a 150lb guy aboard. Probably wouldn't do much more than that though.

The operators manual for the boat and the extra manual for the tower both state the pylon and tower both are for skis or wake boards only. Tubes are never addressed. Sinced they dont address it, id say do what works for you. I just know from my experience and others on here, those little pylons will bend very easily. An old member was able to remake a replacement out of solid aluminum. Maybe find a machine shop local who can fab you one up.

Yes, I believe even some OEM towers are, and some are not, rated for recreational towables. I think the particulars vary too much to make any generalizations.

And I've also read accounts of the seadoo pylons bending, not sure of the detail, but the tubing is rather thin. I extend mine only partially, b/c the tubing does seem rather thin. If it were to become bent, I would be tempted to make a stronger replacement although even that brings forth other questions.

The rear lifting eyes on the transom are no doubt the strongest way to tow anything, I definitely woudn't use the pylon for towing other boats.

Ha, in the 2004 Sportster LE owners guide it says either the tower OR pole can be used to tow tubers. So yeah, it seems the particulars are all over the place.

"Certain sport boats may come
equipped with tow eyelets, a ski pole
or a wake tower which can be used
to attach a tow rope for a skier, tuber
or wakeboarder. Do not use these attachment
points or any other portion
of the sport boat to tow a parasail or
another craft. Personal injury or severe
craft damage may occur."

Last edited by a moderator:
I took the ski pole out any tried to bend it back a few different ways. I was able to free it up a little. It was still very slightly bent and wont totally go back down. I reinstalled and marked the bent area with a sharpee and pointed it towards the rear. My hope was to rebend it back over time by tubing again. After tubing again this weekend, it was a little bit better and moved more freely. I will keep this strategy to see how it plays out. Maybe I will hop on the tube to give it a little more weight.

Probably the best way to her it straight is to do what you did to bend it. LOL.

Enjoy the ride and fix the pole all at one time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back