towing question

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

wildziner

I was wondering if anyone has tried pulling the 150 speedsters with a front wheel drive car instead of a truck. We have a Ford 500, and want to buy a new speedster, but dont want to invest in a truck too. Reese hitches' website says that model car can be outfitted with a class II hitch rated up to 3500 pounds, but we're more concerned about possibly spinning out on a wet boat ramp trying to pull it up out of the water. I would think it might be allright using low gear instead of drive, but there doesnt seem to be any way to test this before actually buying a boat and launching it in different conditions . . . any help would be appreciated.

Towing.....

I don't think you'll have to much problem towing the boat with that size car. It's more like a giant jet ski than a boat. Your class hitch is most certainly big enough. To me, it sounds like your concern is mostly about pulling it up the ramp. Well, let me tell you a trick I learned a long time ago. You'll need two people for this trick. If the ramp is slippery or you just need the extra nudge, when you put the boat on the trailer, leave the engine(s) running forward, walk to the front and attach your nose strap, then signal to the driver to pull ahead. As you see the vehicle begin to nudge forward, give your boat some gas, in essence, assisting the cars torque while going up the ramp. When you hear the pumps come out of the water, kill the engine(s). By then, the car should have the momentum built up to get you the rest of the way up the ramp!..................:cheers:

Thanks

That sounds a little tricky to learn, but I can see how it works. I think we'll give it a shot, and see how it goes. Although I would hate to get rid of my Celica, maybe I'll trade my sportscar in for a 4WD Jeep if worse comes to worse . . .

it's easy....

This way of assisting cars or trucks out of the water is widely used, in the south on the Gulf of Mexico anyway.
Here, on Dauphin Island, I see them launch these big 3 engine (300 hp each) boats for the fishing rodeo. 90% of them coming out of the water, use assistance from their outboard engines. It's not that their vehicle can pull the boat safely, it's due to wet ramps and inclines.
When I say "assist", I don't mean to go full throttle and push the boat on top of the car.....LOL.........you'll have to play around with it to find what works, but boat assist in pull out is nothing new.

If the vehicle is rated for the correct load capacity than the front wheel drive vehicle will pull up the ramp with no problems. Remember that the engine is over the wheels and aids in pulling the weight. In a pick up truck the box is empty and the weight of the boat is not on the trailer till it is out of the water. Pick up trucks will spin worse than a small vehicle with front wheel drive. Just remember to not goose th gas and if it is a standard use the park break to assist you in getting up the ramp and not rolling back down. I deal with people towing boats all the time...I'm a Drawtite / Reese /Rigid Hitch dealer, for 25 yrs now.

Karl

Small boat....

At 14 foot, it's nothing but a big jet ski. Your car, as Karl says, being front wheel drive, should pull it out with no problem, as the weight displaced over the drive train up front is a +. But here, where are state ramps are in such poor shape and the grades are so steep, throttle assist is of the norm. There is no harm to the boat. The only thing I'd recommend, is if someone reads this that has an outboard, trim the motor up a bit or you could scrap the bottom.........once again, something I learned the hard way years ago pushing my 16 foot tri-hull (100hp Evinrude) up the grade behind a 4 cylinder, front wheel drive Olds Calais, I scraped the bottom with the motors foot. No damage, just a few scratches. Pulled it nicely, but I had to help it out of the water 90% of the time. If it were high tide, it would come up on it's own........:cheers:

a load off

Thanks again for the advice (and peace of mind) - you two make me hopefull that I won't have to get rid of one toy in order to get the other!! I have visions of a speedster nose through the back windshield lol :ack:

We're pretty excited about getting what will be our first boat . . . probably in the next week or two as soon as I can get my gf out on one to see what it's like. We're leaning towards getting a new one so we wont have to worry about what previous owners have or havent done to/for their boats. I'm assuming that the dealerships dont give test drives - so we're having to ride on a used one for sale. I drove one yesterday, but the guy had to pull it back in after launching because he realized the wheel was jammed. Apparently they didnt lube the cable during the last maintenance, so it wasnt a big deal and he just got it loosened up a little, but if that would happen to me, I wouldnt have a clue. I guess that's one way to learn - buy used and have to fix stuff, so I go back and forth over new vs. used

I would go to a dealer your seriously thinking about buying from and say you want a test ride first before you sign to be sure it is what you want to buy. Like buying a car, he should drop it in the water before you buy. My dealer I purchase my 200 speedster from offered to let me go on a test ride before I signed...I passed, as I knew what I wanted to buy and didn't need a "driving lesson" If he is a serious dealer you'll get a test drive. If no test drive go else where. Your money is welcomed everywhere...just don't be pulling his chain for a free test ride if your not serious.

Karl

test drives

exactly - I dont want to yank anybody's chain (dealer or private seller), but since we're going in together on the boat, she needs to know how it feels in a small boat like this. Going out yesterday made me aware of what its like in choppy water for example - much different than the videos I've seen, which are all on lakes to make it look good. I'm hiring a mechanic to go with us so he can see the condition of the motor and how it runs while we're out, so it'll give me a chance to know from a more experienced person exactly what I'd be getting into with this particular boat as well.

Thanks again for the advice,
Craig

Craig, If you looking at a used seadoo jet boat make sure the mechanic isn't just a "boat mechanic" Seadoo Jet boats are a completely different animal. I know both inside out and there is a big difference between the two. It's as different as motorcycles and trucks. No matter what you look at a test drive is mandatory.

Out of the box new!....

If it's out of the box new!...........and your going to sink 10 30 thousand in a boat, I agree. A test ride to judge the performance of the boat and if it's right for you, is a must.
This is a huge investment. You woldn't buy a car without a test drive?.......:agree:

Karl answered nicely.

Myself I'm OBVIOUSLY a rocket scientist. :ack:

Last edited by a moderator:
I never make waves, (so to speak and no pun intended) I never mention what I do, as this is a seadoo forum and I have no business agenda to reap any money from my input on this forum. I am a professional business man of some 22 years in my own business. If members need advice in my field, than I have more to offer. I never advertise myself or business unless it is asked about like now by a member. If you need assistiance I am here, but not any intention to my personal gain. See, you still don't know what I do for a living... I think it every member listed there business for free we would have everybackyard company taking up web space.

Karl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back