Time to upgrade boats - What one should I be looking at next

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

rkkoeb

So I have a 98 Speedster and just love this boat. I like the speed, size and especially the seating arrangement. My biggest issue is I want to change over to a 4 stroke boat. I am thinking the speedster 200 but what year should I look at? I don't want a merc engine and I want something that will be close to the same speed I can get out of my 98 speedster which is about 50 mph. I don't want a wake tower on the boat either. What suggestions would you have and why would you recommend that year?

I have a 2012 challenger SE 210 I just bought a few months ago, it doesn't have super chargers but the two 155 it will do between 46 and 48.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1536026555620.jpg
    FB_IMG_1536026555620.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 36
Really depends on your budget. I always enjoy the extra room you get with a bigger boat, but that also comes with other issues as well (increased towing weight and fuel burn to name a couple).

We have a 2012 210 SE with twin supercharged motors (430Hp). She'll do 50-51 all day and has tons of room, rides nice and doesn't porpoise like some of the smaller boats.

If you like what you have and simply want to move up to a newer version of the same, check out the speedster/sportster lineup from 2008 on up. The supercharged versions have 215-255 HP versus 155 for the non supercharged versions. A rebuild should have been done on anything in those model years and if not done, then factor in $450 for a supercharger rebuild and use it when negotiating. The ceramic washer 4tecs were 2006 and earlier, but the boat motors run a year behind, so you may see them in 2007s as well, which I why I recommended 2008 or newer. There were some NA filled valves in earlier years as well, but I forget which years those came out?? Maybe 2008/09. Maybe someone else can clarify.

If you have the time, I'd go look at a few different years and models and see what you like and don't like and try to narrow your search down that way. With the boating season coming to and end for many and slowing down for others, you have plenty of time to make your decision.

Thanks for the information, I did hear issues with the washers on the superchargers. I really want to stay under $15K if possible.

Lots of nice challenger 180's under 15k. Find one with the 255 motor and they are 50 or slightly higher mph boats. 215 challenger is an upper 40s mph boat if a few mph is no big deal. These are 18ft and legally can seat 8, though 6 or less is much more comfortable.

I really don't like the looks of the challenger especially the dash layout and how the front of the boat is squared off. I like the speedster style much more.

One thing to consider with the speedster 200, no real windshield! Only reason i would never consider one...

Ok so there is two 2004 Speedster (310) for sale by me. One is Red and one is blue. What should I be asking about these boat as past issues? I know on my 98 compression should around 150 what should a 4 stroke compression be at. What do you think is a good price for this time of year for these boat? I understand condition will be everything for price but just like to have some type of ball park. I am in Wisconsin.

Ok so there is two 2004 Speedster (310) for sale by me. One is Red and one is blue. What should I be asking about these boat as past issues? I know on my 98 compression should around 150 what should a 4 stroke compression be at. What do you think is a good price for this time of year for these boat? I understand condition will be everything for price but just like to have some type of ball park. I am in Wisconsin.

Post a link to the ads if you can.

The boat is on face book market place

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/2159096374337488

This is what I know, the hour gauge is no longer working and is showing 71 hours. He said it just stopped working this year. Not sure if I believe this. I heard that the wear ring on the 2004 are plastic and they upgraded to a SSC one in 2005? This is NOT done on this boat. I guess this guy is the third owner of the boat. He says the boat is very clean and nothing wrong with it other then the hour gauge.

Are you saying the wear ring is plastic or did you mean the pump housing? I know the older boats and skis used plastic pumps, but I'm not positive of the years for plastic vs aluminum. I believe the switch was done around '05 or '06, but I'm not positive.

I've read mixed reviews on the older plastic pumps, so that's for you to research and determine what you're comfortable with.

Boat looks clean. I'd go take a look at it and test drive it if possible. Check everything (all gauges, electronics, bilge, nav and anchor lights, etc.). Have a compression check done. Check the oil for water color, smell and presence of water. Check to see if the owner has any maintenance records. If you can hook the boat up to a Candoo system, you can get the true hours on the boat.

If all checks out then make an offer. I'd try to get it for $9 - $10K cash if if it were me and everything was to my liking.

A quick search on Boattrader shows prices higher than what he's asking, but none are as old as this one either.

speedster.jpg

I believe the 155 Hp motors run 175-ish and the 215/255 HP motors run 145-ish on a warm engine. Biggest thing to look for is difference between highest and lowest reading. Should be no more than 10% difference.

Keep in mind, super low hours isn't always a good thing. Motors need to be run in order to have seals and bearings lubricated. Things that sit for long periods time can have issues. So while low hours seems very attractive to most, I'm always a bit worried as I've had more problems with super low hour toys then those that have been used regularly and properly maintained.

Your looking at a 14 year old boat with only 42 hours on it, that's 3 hours a year. We purchased our 2012 in 2015 with 112 hours on her. 3 years later we have 230 hours on the boat. Our previous boat was a '92 Ski Nautique. Purchased her with 1200 hours on her and sold her 2 years later with 1600+. When they did a compression check, she was 150 on the lowest and 155 on the highest. Motor was still extremely strong with no leaks.

I'm not saying to stay away from low hour boats, but I'd definitely have it looked over professionally before I purchased.

Good luck with your search.

Should the compression on this motor be at 155?

Compression ranges for a 4Tec are in post #20. My statement above was for our 351 Windsor V8 which is what comes in Ski Nautique.

Numbers in post #20 are for a warm engine. You can expect slightly lower results on a cold engine. Compression should always be done on a warm engine (after you test ride and are considering moving forward with purchase).

Thanks for the information, I did hear issues with the washers on the superchargers. I really want to stay under $15K if possible.
The issues with the supercharger thrust/wearing washers was solved a long time ago. They were made of ceramic, they have since been changed to stainless steel, so that should not even be a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back