Time to replace wear rings?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sako7STW

My 2006 Utopia 205 was cavitating pretty badly. I was desperate to get my boat going so i pulled the pump and looked. The wear ring was pretty bad on the one side from I sucked up some rocks last year. I took and sanded the ring smooth the best I could as I didnt have my impeller tool with me. The boat was a huge improvement and I was amazed at the difference. I am sure it is not as good as putting in a new one though. So when is it time to replace it? I bought 2 of them and can do it but I am wanting to change impellers eventually so I am thinking about just waiting till then. Is there any adverse affects by leaving in the sanded one for now?

hey there,
sorry i don't have an answer to your question, i was wondering though if you have researched what kind
of impellar you will be going with when you change them? from what i can find out( i don't have a manual)
oem impellar is a 11/19 stainless, i was thinking of going with a 10/18 for a little better hole shot.
i have seen on threads for pwc threads that you can change wear rings without pulling impellar, not sure
if that works on boat impellars as well.
i can't see it hurting anything by running, i would think it just means you have more clearance between the impellar and wear ring,
i am no expert by no means though, just my thoughts

With all due respect I would change the ring asap if your not replacing th impellar right away. Your loosing quite a bit of performance if your not within specs on clearance and if you change it now and decide to do the impellar later then you'll already be a step ahead because you'll already know how it all disassembles.

very true, from what i can figure out on the forums here it would be an afternoon job with pulling the impellar
here's a link to the impellar that impros was recommending for a little better hole shot, probably end up
with a little less top end, but for me that is ok
impros.com/store/index.php/impellers/solas-impellers/solas-seadoo-pwc-impellers/solas-sr-cd-concord-impeller.html

Last edited by a moderator:
The impeller I am looking at is the Skat Trak Swirl. My altitude is very high (7000ft) so I doubt the model they recomend for me would be the same for you. As for the rings, I dunno. I am about to start a hellish schedule at work and may not be able to get to use the boat enough to justify ruining a set of new rings that I could use next season with the new impellers. I dont think it would be too hard. I have had my pumps off several times and can do it in about 15 minutes on and off. To get the impellers out though is another story. Those things are on there insane tight! I thought I was going to break something taking them out to fix the impellers.

My boat cavitates terrible and I ordered the part but won't have it till after the 4th and i want to go out this weekend. After reading this post i decided to take mine out flip it around and sand down the rough stuff, I'm hoping it pays off and this weekend rocks. I know it isn't like having a new one but it can't be worse than the way it was. i had no power at all. hope it works, i'll let you know.

My boat cavitates terrible and I ordered the part but won't have it till after the 4th and i want to go out this weekend. After reading this post i decided to take mine out flip it around and sand down the rough stuff, I'm hoping it pays off and this weekend rocks. I know it isn't like having a new one but it can't be worse than the way it was. i had no power at all. hope it works, i'll let you know.

Please do! I am curious to see if others have the same results. It may not be the best solution but if it can get ya by till you can fix it right then right on!

So i took my boat out on sunday and it was a mild improvement. It got on plane quicker but still had some cavitation issues. I would definatley say that it helped, but i won't be a hundred percent till i change it out.

I Just got a new wear ring and wow on the power difference.... everything was going fine till my steering rod fell off and the jet swivel thing was just flopping around. ughhh

So i took my boat out on sunday and it was a mild improvement. It got on plane quicker but still had some cavitation issues. I would definatley say that it helped, but i won't be a hundred percent till i change it out.

Thanks for the update. I still got a tad on mine as well over the weekend. I think the least amount of material removed the better of course. It is still better than hardly getting to do anything. Did you also notice your RPMs between the two motors was closer together? mine was a 300RPM diff before and now almost dead even.

My bad, i failed to mention that I have a C180. Any way the performance is good enough to last me till August. Going to Alaska for 30 days, thanks Army for screwing up my boating season. when i get back i plan to replace wear ring and impeller and be done with all this cavitation stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back