Threadlocker vs antiseize

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

jimmaki

I'm going through a 1998 SPX and have run into a number of seized screw problems which can really slow you down as I imagine you alreadyknow. I finally managed to get all of them out but I'm wondering if I should use an anti seize lubricant to put it back together. On some of the "seized" screws I think it may just have been too much locktite used during initial assembly. My main concern is using s.s. screws which tend to gall and lock up without anti seize.

I realize it depends where the screws are, but is there anyone using antiseize as a matter of course during assembly? Or does thread locker seal the threads from water entry and corrosion? Many of these small screws don't have torque values in the shop manual, especially the small carb screws.

The last screw that I had problems with was the tiny phillips head that holds the needle seat in the carb. I could almost fee the head starting to twist off the stud. I couldn't get my hammer driver down in that small space. I plan to get an slender extension next trip out. Since I had all the rubber and plastic parts out of the carb except the o-ring around the needle seat I was replacing, I tried heating the area with a small soldering torch and was able to finally get the screw out. Some say the copper and/or aluminum in most anti seize compounds just adds another metal for the "battery" and can actually promote corrosion. I dunno ... that's why I'm asking before I put everything back together.

[EDIT] One more option I just remembered is using a good waterproof grease on the theads. I have a tube of Mercury 2-4-C with Teflon marine lube lying around for the boat. Anyone tried it on PWCs?

[EDIT 2] Man, I just had to drill out a screw on the other carb that holds in the check valve housing. What's amazing is I just had that same screw and it's brother out earlier in the week and while I ran the engine with that carb, the doo hasn't been in the water or near it, even a hose. Something is going on beside corrosion. I think I'm going to get out my miniature torque wrench or find miniature hex socket screws.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you follow the seadoo manual it shows where to use grease and thread lock and where on the bolts. Some get it under the heads and some on the threads.

i use anti seize when ever possible due to salt water. That said always have a set of left handed drill bits handy in case something sticks.

I agree the high-copper antiseize formula shouldn't be used in aluminum threads will probably corrode. Probably the datasheet calls out the application?

I regularly use the 1oz tube of Permatex 81343 antiseize in addition to locktight red and blue, depending. I think the locktight does keep water from penetrating if used correctly. You know how salt gets EVERYWHERE eventually....

I don't wire-wheel fasteners if possible, I prefer to wash them in the parts washer and run them through a die if still grungy. The reason is, I believe the wire wheel damages the threads by rounding them over and will remove zinc plating.

[EDIT 2] Man, I just had to drill out a screw on the other carb that holds in the check valve housing. What's amazing is I just had that same screw and it's brother out earlier in the week and while I ran the engine with that carb, the doo hasn't been in the water or near it, even a hose. Something is going on beside corrosion. I think I'm going to get out my miniature torque wrench or find miniature hex socket screws.

I guess you must've assembled this one dry, no lube or antiseize? I like to at least oil the threads but usually I use antiseize on all carb fasteners.

I'm a guy who hates dry threads b/c to me this leads to seizing. Sometimes seized threads are good though, such as on a trailer ball you'd rather break by twisting off with a breaker bar at replacement than come lose going down the road.

Yeah, dry ... big mistake. Had to easy out three of them. I had the Permatex on hand so I'm using it this time. That's some nasty stuff if it gets on your hands or clothes. I got in the mode of not using oil on the threads in case I decided to use the locktite.

I used anti seize on the bolt that go through the carb into the intake after having to drill a broken bolt out during my restoration last summer of a 95 xp. A few rides later it was idling high. Turned out both carbs vibrate lose and powdered both carb gaskets!!!! Nothing left of either. Put new gaskets on, added thread lock to threads and anti seize to the bolt shanks where they are through the carb bodies. So far so good.

Yeah, dry ... big mistake. Had to easy out three of them. I had the Permatex on hand so I'm using it this time. That's some nasty stuff if it gets on your hands or clothes. I got in the mode of not using oil on the threads in case I decided to use the locktite.

Got that right, that stuff seems to get all over the place, lol. If you decide to use locktight you can clean the threads out with carb cleaner to wash away grease/oil.

Honestly, I can't recall ever having a fastener back out that I applied antiseize too, mostly they have lock washers.

For exhaust and exhaust hangers, flywheels and motor mounts that handle huge loads and rattle lose easily locktight is my preference and I just cross my fingers it comes apart later without breaking off.

Thanks for the pointer, I have a tube of this Mercury lube that I use on my boat mostly in areas like the prop shaft splines, steering and power lift cylinders.

MarineLube.jpg

Does the trick even in salt water. It's suppose to have Teflon in it.

I was thinking of using some of this stuff. Since it is designed to wick in and set, maybe it will fill and block off the capillary gaps that water uses to get in. My only fear is that although it is made by Loctite, the package says Kawasaki on it and I'm afraid it will dissolve my SeaDoo bolts. :)
View attachment 30952

That stuff will transfer Yamaha disease to you seadoo, symptoms are you may have shortness of pants, high stool, seat cramps or even " Delayed Borgarigmys of the bilge"....The only cure for which is Death!!!! :)

Yikes! Those big lock washers on the carb bolts evidently don't work?

Apparently. Somewhere seep down on the page in very fine illegible print you might find a note recommending to use new lockwashers and/or new bolts even, and follow the torque spec to a "T", which means to use the correct formula of locktight, especially on the exhaust manifold.

But, I'm not convinced seadoo wasn't more interested in making sure the bolts don't rattle out during warranty than selling replacement parts when the bolts snap off as they're being removed?

They do rattle and vibrate quite a bit as most 2-strokes do, and it's not good to suck powdered anything through the crankcase.

I already have all that and not from riding a Yamaha, it's from old age. My doctor says the same thing you did for the cure.

Yeah, I noticed my original lockwashers look like flat washers even with no compression now that I inspect them. I shall hit the depot for new s.s. lockwashers. I've not seen vibration proof lockwashers like these in stainless.
Nord lockwashers.jpg

Wonder if they would work better?

Were they the thick or thin gaskets? I'm going to try the antiseize on the threads and nothing on the shank or head. Give the new lockwashers a dry surface to grab. The bolts look like they have a lot of clearance through the carb bodies, so much so they put a nylon bushing inside the hole on the manifold end to better locate the carbs on the bolts.

I've got new lock washers and will actually use a torque wrench this time. I think it was 15ft*lbs. I have the Permatex although I saw an ad somewhere for an anti seize made especially for stainless steel bolts in aluminum threads subject to salt water. But they really really like it, to the tune of about $13/tube. I take my SeaDoo apart every 17 years whether it needs it or not so may one tube might last me a while.

[EDIT] I just remembered the name of the stuff ... TefGel

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back