Thoughtless wife

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrisca74

So the wife and I bought a 2001 Sea Doo Utopia. Its in great shape only 30 hrs on it only needed to be cleaned up and we where good to go. So the wife decides she wants to help me give the new addition to our family a bath. While I was soaping her up the wife was rinsing her off with the power washer. After making my way to the bow my wife sees some some dry mud and grass in the water bypass (pee hole) outlet. Next thing I know she has the power washer right up to the hole going to town.

My question, what damage could of been done? I noticed that the water was coming out of the pump area.When I blow into the hole I can hear it coming out of the other end at the pump. It this normal, or should there be some kind of resistance? Please tell me she didn't do any damage, we haven't even got it out on the water yet!!!!

Welcome to the seadoo forum Chrisca74. I don't think she could have done any damage as it is a bypass line to let you know it is getting cooling water in the engine.I would fire it up on the hose and be sure you didn't force any water back into the engine. If you did and you let it set in there it will rust the engine up. Fire it up for a no more than 5 minutes on the hose. If you do it will cause the impeller shaft and bearings to over heat as it isn't in the water to have these parts cooled off. If it won't start or you still have questions give us a shout and we'll help you out. This is a great place with lots of active members eager to help.

Karl

That is a relief. So there is no thermostats or springs that could of been damaged. I don't think that any water got into the engine due to the fact that that it looked as if it all was coming out of the pump. Thanks so much for the insight.

That hose is just a cooling hose that has a tee on it inside the hull that spurts out water as it is running to show it is cooling the engine. If you don't see and water coming out of the hose it means it isn't getting cooling water to the engine. Usually if the beeper comes on and stays on it means it is overheated. The first thing to look for is the water sperting out the little hole. No water means it might have a blocked cooling line or something.

Karl

Did I mention that this has the Mercury motor in it. It the 200 hp optimax. Does it have an impeller to draw in the water or does it use the jet pump impeller?

it works on the same principle as it has a jet pump impeller...I'll check the manual for you, and post back to be sure in a couple minutes.
Karl

The main design difference is that it is mounted above the impeller system but it works similar to all the other models. It still operates the impeller system the same. It draws in in front and pushes the thrust out the rear.

Mercury M-2.....

You state that you have the optimax 200.....well, lets figure that one out first. You either have the 210 naturally aspirated or the 240 fuel injected.
As Karl states, there shouldn't have been any damage done to your motor what so ever. This motor is even better than the Rotax when it comes to the cooling system. The only reason why, it's designed to empty all the cooling water by gravity drain when you pull the boat out of the water.
You shouldn't have anything to worrry about. There are a few restriction orifices and the expansion tank, but I don't see anything that should worry you. Let us know if you think there is a problem. The absolute worse case scenerio would be a blown gasket between the cooling system and the exhaust, but even that would be very, very remote.........:cheers:

Wow, I am so impressed with this forum. The engine is the DFI 200hp. Seadoosnipe, you said that the worst case senrio would be a gasket may of been blown. How would I be able to determaine if that is the case? As I mentioned before I blew into the hole and there was no resistance, its like blowing through a straw. I can't seeem to wrap my head around how the water is circulated through the engine block. Is the water forced by the drive impller or and forward motion or is there something else. I notice that the hose that is connected to the pee hole is going to what I'm reading as the compressor? Is there a manual available for the cooling system?

There shouldn't be any resistance as the water drains from gravity out of the water. For the cooling system the water passes through the impeller housing and is forced into the cooling hose to the engine. If the engine isn't running,for example if your getting towed, you have to clamp off that same cooling hose, as the force of the water passing through the impeller housing would still go into the engine and would backup through the exhaust and flood the engine, due to lack of back pressure from the running engine. I hope this answers you question. The water from you wife's hose shouldn't have done any damage. I would start it anyway just to be sure.

Karl

hey guys and gals if their reading,
I would suggest if your worried about water in the motor to pop the spark plugs out before you try and start and just turn it over without the plugs in(make sure you ground the leads on the posts) this way if there is any water you wont bend a rod and it will just pump through the spark plug hole.

It's always better to be safe than sorry. It might take you a couple minutes to pull the plugs, but confidence is a good thing too.

So I hooked the boat up to the hose and started it and everything seem fine. However, something was diffrent, water began to come out of the pee hole and it never did that before while hooked up to the hose. In fact the manual says while hooked up to the hose that water will not be directed through it only at higher RPM's should water flow through. I guess will find out soon, when we go for the first time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back