This is a story about a pulse nipple…

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
I was taking the carbs off my new to me 98 GTX limited today when I stupidly yanked on the pulse line and broke the 90 degree nipple on the pump cover…
IMG_7123.jpeg
IMG_7122.jpeg
Used covers are $100 usd on eBay and new seem to be discontinued.
So I drilled out the pressed in fitting with gradually increasing drill bit sizes.
IMG_7125.jpeg
IMG_7128.jpeg
I found a 1/4” barbed fitting with small enough threads at Canadian Tire and grabbed some red lock tight.
IMG_7129.jpeg
I had to drill the hole a bit wider for the fitting and I couldn’t find a tap to match the threads so I just reamed the hole with the drill a bit so it had a slight taper then slathered the threads with lock tight and cranked it in until it was tight.
IMG_7130.jpeg
I couldn’t find a 90 degree but I think there’s room for the hose to curve around, and I didn’t have to worry about it pointing the wrong way when it got tight.

I haven’t put things back together yet and I may add some JB weld for peace of mind but what do y’all think?

I had to do the same thing to a different connector on my carb. The only concern you may have is ....will it fit in the area without obstructions. My adapter was a little larger than original and I have problems with the plastic air flaps on my 951.

I had to do the same thing to a different connector on my carb. The only concern you may have is ....will it fit in the area without obstructions. My adapter was a little larger than original and I have problems with the plastic air flaps on my 951.
I had to leave town for work so I didn’t have time to really test the fit but you’re right it points right at the airbox tube. I’m hoping if I cut 2 of the barbs off I’ll have enough room…

A 90 degree version of this fitting exist but I could only find it online and am concerned about it not pointing the right way when it snugs up.

I will update this.

I don't think the fitting repair is going to last long term. I'll look in my pile... I may have a spare carb or the cap with a fitting.

Am I understanding correctly? Did you manage to tap the cover to receive the pipe threaded fitting? From what I see you have room to do tap to the proper depth for the fitting. When tapping a pipe fitting you leave 5-6 threads showing on the tap. That is the proper depth. You may have to shorten the length of the threaded portion of the fitting and an elbow fitting would be needed and a 45 degree might do the trick.

Am I understanding correctly? Did you manage to tap the cover to receive the pipe threaded fitting? From what I see you have room to do tap to the proper depth for the fitting. When tapping a pipe fitting you leave 5-6 threads showing on the tap. That is the proper depth. You may have to shorten the length of the threaded portion of the fitting and an elbow fitting would be needed and a 45 degree might do the trick.
No I wasn’t able to get a tap that matched the thread count of the fitting (I had a metric set and an SAE one) so I just basically used brute force to cut my own threads with the fitting.

If I can spin it back out, I think I’ll swap the fitting for one like this and hopefully I can get it tight and pointing the right-ish direction…
IMG_7137.jpeg
Unless you had any luck finding this seemingly rare piece?…

You were absolutely correct by the way. The intake is definitely in the way.

IMG_7135.jpeg

No I wasn’t able to get a tap that matched the thread count of the fitting (I had a metric set and an SAE one) so I just basically used brute force to cut my own threads with the fitting.

Probably 1/8" pipe tap. Buy the proper tap. Leave 5 threads showing on the tap. In other words don't go the full depth. Pipe threads are tapered. Good Luck !

Maybe if you found that adapter in a " 90 degree" form it would work for you. That is one of my projects before this summer heats up...

Maybe if you found that adapter in a " 90 degree" form it would work for you. That is one of my projects before this summer heats up...
Those fittings are easily available. I have not measured a Seadoo pipe type fitting yet that was not a regular Pipe thread. That goes for grease fittings and some threads on the reverse cables.

Back