Thinking of buying used speedster...

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

nibs75

Hello,

I am brand new to the forum, just found it looking for info on the speedster. My wife and I have been considering getting a PWC or smaller boat so we can have more fun at the lake when we camp. We do have two little ones (5-7). Anyway, I've been looking around locally I've found several speedsters for sale; 2-'95s, '96, '97, and '98. 3 of the 5 are between $2700 - $3500 asking price while the '97 is asking $6k. I plan on going to see at least 3 of them, but have a few questions folks familiar with the boats can help me with;
- I am curious if there are any major differences I should be aware of between the years I mentioned (95 - 98)
- Are there known problems that happen frequently I should ask about or look for?
- What is the approx loaded weight including the trailer? (fuel and all)
- For those that have one - is this a good boat for a 1st time boat owner with small family of 4?

I appreciate any and all feedback. My wife and I have always done a lot of camping, canoeing, etc. When the kids where still really young we cut way back on camping, the last couple of years we have been going lots again.. only now we want something more to do at the lakes. PWC was my wife's initial idea, but when I started seeing these speedsters for a reasonable price, and I can buy outright, I thought I should at least investigate further.

nibs

my 2 pennies

hey...the 95-97 have the 717 motors,where the 98 is a17ft w/ 2-787 motors. If the 98' is clean, runs great (do water trial),..etc, I say, go for that one. Being 3ft more, you/family wont grow out of it, plus has the "POWER".

Dont get me wrong, nor other members to that affect, but the 14ft are great boats, but find them a bit "scetchy" when in ruff/white cap waters, unless you throw the wife under the boat, and let her ride up front..:reddevil:, and dont care, then be a good boat.

I've had the 14ft Sportsters, and 18ft challengers/sportsters...and with hav'n a 4yr old, wouldnt go back to the lil boat...

Plus, the 98, has the 4-captain look'n seats,cant go wrong with family of 4. Just picked up a 99, and CANT WAIT, to get ur rok'n.

O-yeah, those prices aint bad at all, except the 6k one, unless thats the 98', and if still, could/should work 'm down some...:cheers:

Thanks

Thanks for the info on the length and motor differences! The '98 is for $3500 ;says seats were redone recently and added hydroturf. It seems like lately there has been a new one listed every week.

I'm gonna continue doing some research and go look at a couple in the next few days.

I would be all over the 98 at that price, but I haven't personally seen it.
Where is it? I may be interested if you are going to pass on it.

Old and if has two motors twice the cost and problems. I was told by dealer anything more the 5 years old can be a nightmare in repairs. Cheap up front can be tons later. I looked and looked and got a like new 07 and had 3 year extended warrenty. It was worth the extra money to have a dependable boat

I bought a 98 that was immaculate. I paid $6200 for it. Runs and looks like it is new still. I will take my old boat that is paid for over a new boat with payments anyday. I agree the extra 3 feet is worth it if you are planning on having 4 people in it. The 4 seats are pretty comfy and there is plenty of room for 4 people. The 2 motors make awesome power. I would jump all over it for that price if it is in good shape.

keep 'em coming

Thanks for all of the replies so far. I do understand that some folks would much rather pay more for a new(er) boat, but I am a hands on guy. I work on my cars, motorcycles, house and everything else, so I'd do anything I could myself. There are always some things left to the pros, but I feel like I could take care of normal maintenance issues, and would love to OWN it outright. I'm waiting on the owner to send me some pics. It's in a small town a few hours away, so if the pics look good, and they'll let me put it on the water, I'll go check it out this week. I will still look at at least one of the older models also just to compare wear and tear. I have a good friend that is an avid boater and will also take him along.

Old and if has two motors twice the cost and problems. I was told by dealer anything more the 5 years old can be a nightmare in repairs. Cheap up front can be tons later. I looked and looked and got a like new 07 and had 3 year extended warrenty. It was worth the extra money to have a dependable boat
Older boats are less dependable? Look around the forums a little and you'd see that statement is pretty unfounded. People have just as much trouble with their new boats as others do with older ones. Boats are going to be as dependable as you make them, and a little luck along the way wont hurt either.

Personally i'd rather not take my boat to a dealership, sometimes they create more trouble than you originally had.

Wow....thats a pretty broad statement. ALOT depends on maintenence and care. There are a ton of older boats in great shape and well worth the money. Don't be afraid of older, you just need to do more research to save a bundle of cash. JMO

Wow....thats a pretty broad statement. ALOT depends on maintenence and care. There are a ton of older boats in great shape and well worth the money. Don't be afraid of older, you just need to do more research to save a bundle of cash. JMO

I agree I purchased a 1996 speedster and I think I saved a ton of money and the engines still have 130+ compression and the boat was well taken care of. Just be cautious about what you buy. If the boat looks beat to hell it probably was. Check out the engine compartment the interior, and just general maintenance. I have a general rule of thumb which I think if the owner took the time to cover the boat or garage the boat I think they care a little more than the guy that parks it on the side of the house with no cover.

2 of the 5 are sold already. The '98 is still listed but the owner has not responded to me since the first email. They sent me an email saying they'd send pix, but have not replied since. I've been busy too, so I'll call this weekend and go check it out if it's still there. If not, I'll keep looking for something.

2 of the 5 are sold already. The '98 is still listed but the owner has not responded to me since the first email. They sent me an email saying they'd send pix, but have not replied since. I've been busy too, so I'll call this weekend and go check it out if it's still there. If not, I'll keep looking for something.

That happens a lot on Craigslist. I had 3 boats sold out from under me because the people were slow. One I was really pissed about. I sent 3 emails over a 3 day period, and on the 4th day, I was told “The boat sold a few hours ago.” If the F*&# Head would have emailed me back after the first time… I would have had it.

The other problem is that people post up, but really don’t check there email very often, or that they don’t go back and remove a old post.

Anyway… I picked up a 96 sportster cheap, and I have about $1000 into it after the sale… but now, it looks close to new, and I know it will be reliable because I’ve gone through everything fixing what I find wrong. On the other side of that… I’ve seen guys on this BBS yelling about parts that don’t fit on their new $30,000 boat, or even worse… they say the boat only runs at 30 mph and the dealer says that’s normal. (BULL!!! The dealer just doesn’t want to work on it) Oh, and my favorite… the supercharger blows apart… eating a $4000 engine with only 20 Hr’s on the boat.

A good old 2 stroke Rotax is very reliable. And the drive system is easy to work on. I changed my impeller, carbon seal, stainless ring, D-shaft boot, and resealed the pump in 2 hours, and all of that cost me $150. Now the pump should be good for 10 years as long as I don’t suk up a big rock.

One note on the 14’ or 18’ debate. If you are a guy who wants a “boat”… then the 18’ will be good for you… but I’m a PWC kind of guy, but I have a 3 year old little girl, and I love the 14’ boat. It’s easy to handle by yourself, it drives like a PWC, but it has enough room for a small family and some gear. In my mind… the 14 is just a big PWC with some room to move around… and the 18 is a “boat.”

Last thing… stay away from the boats with the Mercury drive systems. They are reliable… but the parts are VERY expensive, and not so easy to find.

Good luck

Here's my fixer upper. All I have to do is finish the seats. (I've been using it with out the seats in it)

64.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Older boats are less dependable? Look around the forums a little and you'd see that statement is pretty unfounded. People have just as much trouble with their new boats as others do with older ones. Boats are going to be as dependable as you make them, and a little luck along the way wont hurt either.

Come on guys, there are reasons why these boats depreciate and one of them is because boats (like cars, motorcycles, etc...) do become less reliable as they get older. Does this mean that all older boats are junk and all new ones are perfect? No! Of course not. But in general you will have more problems with a boat as it gets older. As a boat ages you can expect to either spend more money/time fixing problems or spend more time maintaining it.

That said, a well maintained older boat can be a very good bargain compaired to the price of a new boat.

That happens a lot on Craigslist. I had 3 boats sold out from under me because the people were slow. One I was really pissed about. I sent 3 emails over a 3 day period, and on the 4th day, I was told “The boat sold a few hours ago.” If the F*&# Head would have emailed me back after the first time… I would have had it.

The other problem is that people post up, but really don’t check there email very often, or that they don’t go back and remove a old post.

Anyway… I picked up a 96 sportster cheap, and I have about $1000 into it after the sale… but now, it looks close to new, and I know it will be reliable because I’ve gone through everything fixing what I find wrong. On the other side of that… I’ve seen guys on this BBS yelling about parts that don’t fit on their new $30,000 boat, or even worse… they say the boat only runs at 30 mph and the dealer says that’s normal. (BULL!!! The dealer just doesn’t want to work on it) Oh, and my favorite… the supercharger blows apart… eating a $4000 engine with only 20 Hr’s on the boat.

A good old 2 stroke Rotax is very reliable. And the drive system is easy to work on. I changed my impeller, carbon seal, stainless ring, D-shaft boot, and resealed the pump in 2 hours, and all of that cost me $150. Now the pump should be good for 10 years as long as I don’t suk up a big rock.

One note on the 14’ or 18’ debate. If you are a guy who wants a “boat”… then the 18’ will be good for you… but I’m a PWC kind of guy, but I have a 3 year old little girl, and I love the 14’ boat. It’s easy to handle by yourself, it drives like a PWC, but it has enough room for a small family and some gear. In my mind… the 14 is just a big PWC with some room to move around… and the 18 is a “boat.”

Last thing… stay away from the boats with the Mercury drive systems. They are reliable… but the parts are VERY expensive, and not so easy to find.

Good luck

Here's my fixer upper. All I have to do is finish the seats. (I've been using it with out the seats in it)

64.jpg

Again, Thanks for the feedback! The only reason I haven't called the people or been more aggressive in trying to get the boat is that I wont have the ca$h in hand for a few more days.. I don't want to make a move until I've got the $$ in my hand so I can negotiate.. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back