The X4 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well it only took 2 years and a record drought but I finally got the second tank of break in fuel through the ol' 96' XP.
258.jpg

The water was glass but there was a ton of debris in the water. I had to clean the pisser out 4 times.

So question for you Matt. This is my first X4 and it is noisy. The hood squeaks the mirrors rattle but what has me concerned is there is almost a bearing noise. If it had a carrier bearing I would say it is bad but there isn't one. It runs great and I guess it could be the pump because it doesn't have the anti rattle cone.

So are these just noisy or should I start dissecting?

Last edited by a moderator:
The hoods do make those noises, another reason the singe gauge hood swap is such a popular mod.

I'm not sure about this noise though. The anti-rattle cone only seems to make a difference out of the water.

Check the hood latch post and seat latch post. I had a few loose and they made a horrible rattling noise at certain RPM.

Yeah I sometimes adjust the idle a little just to change the vibration frequency. It seems like the waterbox like to rattle against the inside of the hull sometimes even when the mount for it is still riveted to the floor.

The noise isn't at idle, although it has the typical pump rattle. This is once going at about half throttle and up on plane but it doesn't really change with RPM. I will check all the items you all listed. The best way I can describe it is if a carrier bearing was going out. It almost sounds like the noise is amplified through the hull.

I think some of the paint was worn off the waterbox towards the back when I had it out so Matt might be onto something. I will try to wedge some rubber in there too.

Haven't seen him around here in a bit.m hope he still checks in from time to time.

diggin thru some old photo prints. Thought you guys might like my ATM hull superstock race boat built in 1998. 331 lbs. light top deck , hull , seat with 787 ported mtr , factory pipe , novi 44mm , case ported , cyl ported , msd ignition , 200lbs compression, mtr set back 2 inches and a magnum pump. Its still alive in buddies barn 20 years later.
121.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back