The real cost of that $200 barn find ski..

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry for all of that. But the moral of the story is... projects are fun... but be smart about them. Oh... and as an FYI... It took my at least a year to find my XP project... and it took almost 2 years to find the right Islandia. So... for the guys that say... everything is overpriced... you just haven't looked long enough.

...Time away from the wife... priceless ;)

I'm genuinely afraid to total up the cost of work I did to my last project.

Boat was about $20k less than others, but a test drive proved it 'worked'... but after getting it home about 200 things.. didn't. I was stupid.

I have a list of all the things I fixed, and I could check my eBay history, but it wasn't all bad... I got to fix things. And that beats sitting on the couch any time.

Sorry for all of that. But the moral of the story is... projects are fun... but be smart about them. Oh... and as an FYI... It took my at least a year to find my XP project... and it took almost 2 years to find the right Islandia. So... for the guys that say... everything is overpriced... you just haven't looked long enough.

While I understand the logic of 'don't put more into it than it's worth' etc, I understand, but there's a cost associated in everything, it's all about balance of time and money, piece of mind, convenience, and other factors. People buy new cars, jet skis, toys and lose 10's of thousands on the them, they finance them, they pay insurance on the loan and so forth and they depreciate hard. So....even if I buy 20+ yr old 3 seater jet ski like a 97' GTX and it's worth $1500 -$2500 today and I spend an extra $500-$1000, so what?, I've got it to the way I like and I'll enjoy it for many years.

I'll never sweat a little extra money, as far as waiting 2 years for the right deal and driving 300 miles away, my time is worth more, we're only put on this earth for a limited time.

We are a rare breed, not many people have the skill set or patience to do what we do, but don't put yourself on a pedestal that you make smarter decisions than others on the forum. Many of us do it because we enjoy it and get a satisfaction and sense of accomplishment to do something with our own two hands. And we enjoy riding out on the water at a fraction of the cost the average person will end up spending.

It's a hobby, one of many I have, and hobbies cost time and money, if you're in a hobby it to watch every penny and not lose money, it'll eat away at you and you lose the spirit of doing it. BTW - nice projects you've done.

Last edited:
Nobody twisted your arm to go with racing pistons, eh? There are some splurges. The 1600 could be cut closer to 1k for someone doing a restore, so maybe not the REAL cost of a restore, but if I were building it that extensively I'd use the hi-po pistons as well. Once you're in deep, might as well sink the ship. :) I personally wouldn't pay $470 for pistons and a resleeve, so there's where I'd come in well under - for an example. I stayed vigilant waiting on the right deal and bought new OEM old stock pistons, rings, and cylinders for $120 each (times 2) that came completely ready to drop in. Having built over 50 engines for my dirt bikes, atv, and skis - I've learned a lot of patience when I want to pay a specific price. It does happen if you wait and watch.

I don't think you did anything out of line, I just see areas it could be done for less if we are talking the "Real cost" of building a barn ski. Not everyone needs racing pistons and such, but I personally (my choice) would if I were already knee deep on a total restore, as you did.

Ok, but lets take a look at what the 'average' person may do jumping into it and put it into prospective, just on the engine looking at a 787/800:

SBT engine - $1195 + shipping
Fullbore engine - $1199 + shipping
Me - $960 total w/WISECO pistons
You - from what you're saying $230 less at lets say $720

So ski for $200 + $1200 engine + $100 for to/from shipping = $1500 doing nothing else, but many fall short because they don't factor in another $200 - $500 for carb rebuilds, new lines. and other stuff. Doing the minimum on a core swap they throw the engine in and that's where the issues start arising.

Last edited:

We are a rare breed, not many people have the skill set or patience to do what we do, but don't put yourself on a pedestal that you make smarter decisions than others on the forum. Many of us do it because we enjoy it and get a satisfaction and sense of accomplishment to do something with our own two hands. And we enjoy riding out on the water at a fraction of the cost the average person will end up spending.

It's a hobby, one of many I have, and hobbies cost time and money, if you're in a hobby it to watch every penny and not lose money, it'll eat away at you and you lose the spirit of doing it. BTW - nice projects you've done.

I didn't put my set of projects up to put myself on a pedestal. I simply wanted to put up the info that there is another side to the "Barn Find".

I absolutely agree that it's a hobby, and sometimes you just want something to work on. For me... being thrifty is part of that hobby. I've done a few odd-balls over the years, and lost $$ in doing so just because I wanted it. The Polaris, and old Si Seadoo where projects of opportunity. They were local, the price was right... and they weren't all that far gone. (mechanically) The XP and Islandia were targeted projects. That's why they took so long to find.

I think your project turned out great, and I'm sure you will have a good time with them. Keep up the good work.

I didn't put my set of projects up to put myself on a pedestal. I simply wanted to put up the info that there is another side to the "Barn Find".

I absolutely agree that it's a hobby, and sometimes you just want something to work on. For me... being thrifty is part of that hobby. I've done a few odd-balls over the years, and lost $$ in doing so just because I wanted it. The Polaris, and old Si Seadoo where projects of opportunity. They were local, the price was right... and they weren't all that far gone. (mechanically) The XP and Islandia were targeted projects. That's why they took so long to find.

I think your project turned out great, and I'm sure you will have a good time with them. Keep up the good work.

I don't want to belabor my point, but you did say......

"That's why you need to know what you are looking at, and what they are worth. There's no reason to try to resurrect a ski that is as bad as your description. My rule-of-thumb on an old ski is... if the engine is roasted... don't touch it. "

I will agree with the "lost $$ in doing so just because I wanted it" well I wanted it... But I don't agree with your 'rule-of-thumb' don't touch it theory just because you could lose money. If I were that cautious I wouldn't have any hobbies....

So first 94 sea doo 800.00 needed lots of work. So have around 1800 in it with trailer that needed axle and hubs.
Threes years of riding on average two to three times a week.
Yes I am retired ski stays on float dock on canal behind house in OBX.
After the learning curve picked up a 96 tigershark
free as neighbor only wanted trailer it sets on. New battery cArb kit exchange of fluids and new lines and fuel selector and plugs I have a machine that I have 150.00 in and it's lots of fun.

But without a trailer so found trailer on Facebook marketplace with a 2000 sea doo on it that boyfriend left two years ago and said to sell. 150.00 so again same thing and I have about 325.00 in it with trailer.
Such a fun hobby and so much fun to get people on the water that have never riden a jetsk I before.
Last friend was 73 and had an absolute blast!
So glad I have this hobby!

Bought 96XP with good engine. It still needed $1,300 to make it super-reliable -from carbon seal wear ring to new carbs and VTS - but now I have an XP that is close to the quality it was when it came off the Dealer's floor in 96. Totally worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back