Test rode an older Sea Doo

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

theinsider

Found an advertisement for a 2007 GTI 130 and the owner was only asking for $2,500 so I figured I'd ask for more information. He said it has 453 hours on it but has no mechanical problems and it was checked out by a local mechanic. He agreed to let me give it a quick test ride (he has it on the lake) so I made the short trip and tried it out. He assured me that it was a family PWC and not a rental.

To be blunt, it rode like crap. It topped out at 47 MPH and took a big build up to get to it. The initial acceleration was very poor and the engine made a ton of noise and vibrated more than I've ever felt on a PWC. Once it got past a certain RPM (I forget the exact #) it felt normal but I couldn't do any quick maneuvers because of the lack of acceleration. I can't imagine how anyone could enjoy this thing in its current state, including the most basic riders.

Basically, I want to know with the info I've given if it's worth investing in. The hull, seat, and other exterior parts were in good condition and it was clean. I don't know who the mechanic is that he went to but I'm also skeptical about it getting a clear pass. With new parts and/or a rebuild, is the price fair or am I better off looking for something newer and/or in a better condition? I don't know how to do any of the mechanical work so I'd have to pay someone to do any work.

Found an advertisement for a 2007 GTI 130 and the owner was only asking for $2,500 so I figured I'd ask for more information. He said it has 453 hours on it but has no mechanical problems and it was checked out by a local mechanic. He agreed to let me give it a quick test ride (he has it on the lake) so I made the short trip and tried it out. He assured me that it was a family PWC and not a rental.

To be blunt, it rode like crap. It topped out at 47 MPH and took a big build up to get to it. The initial acceleration was very poor and the engine made a ton of noise and vibrated more than I've ever felt on a PWC. Once it got past a certain RPM (I forget the exact #) it felt normal but I couldn't do any quick maneuvers because of the lack of acceleration. I can't imagine how anyone could enjoy this thing in its current state, including the most basic riders.

Basically, I want to know with the info I've given if it's worth investing in. The hull, seat, and other exterior parts were in good condition and it was clean. I don't know who the mechanic is that he went to but I'm also skeptical about it getting a clear pass. With new parts and/or a rebuild, is the price fair or am I better off looking for something newer and/or in a better condition? I don't know how to do any of the mechanical work so I'd have to pay someone to do any work.

You can get a 2007 GTISE 155 with 120 hours on it in mint condition around here for $4K. That's far better than that beater for $2500.

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/boa/4515400162.html

Aside from the high hrs I'm willing to bet that thing is a wear ring away from riding good from what you describe. That said, you can get a whole lot more ski in better condition with less hrs for not a whole lot more money. Although if you're good with a wrench and only have a $2500 budget is seriously consider it if you have to have a 4 stroke ski. Beat them down on the price a little too

Keep in mind the 130 is the entry level ski, and it sounds like this one was pretty beat. I would be surprised if it was a former rental ski.

Lou

Aside from the high hrs I'm willing to bet that thing is a wear ring away from riding good from what you describe. That said, you can get a whole lot more ski in better condition with less hrs for not a whole lot more money. Although if you're good with a wrench and only have a $2500 budget is seriously consider it if you have to have a 4 stroke ski. Beat them down on the price a little too

I trust your opinion and I'm just trying to gather as much insight as possible before I pay for my own inspection. I'm willing to take the risk and see if I can get it running decently but I'm worried about the general wear and tear of all the parts. For example, I have an older vehicle I use for short commuting ('93) and everything in the engine looks good, but I know that something could go out at any time due to the usage.

And that's a risk you're talking with something that has such high hrs. I've seen not many 4tecs last past the 400hrs mark unless they've had good maintenance. It's not so much the age of it, it's more the hrs on the engine that concern me. If you're thinking about it make sure you at least give it a solid look over and a compression test.

"To be blunt it rode like crap" and you're still considering it after you list multiple issues?

You're brave!

Think about it, I don't care what the P.O. said, with that many hours it had to be a rental, for at least part of it's life. How do you treat a rental car? At 453 hours it's ready for a rebuild.

Lou

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back