Supercharger Failure - Drive Gear

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

ARSKIDOO

I’ve read a lot about supercharger failures related to the ceramic washers, but has anyone ever had the drive gear fail?
2006 RTX with 200 hours, properly serviced. Shut it down immediately when it lost RPM’s, but it tore up the back end. Thanks in advance for any insight.

Never heard of the drive gear (which is the big one on the flywheel) but the driven gear certainly. The other most common failure on superchargers is either the front or rear bearing on the impeller shaft. The front (engine side) especially will usually destroy both gears and often snap the shaft and send the clutch pack and gear portion down towards flywheel and usually through something. Just finished one of these for a friend, he got really lucky, when end gear and clutch pack came off (comes off as one piece with about 1" of shaft holding it together) it dropped in above the starter bendix. Not only did this keep it out of moving parts but it caused the start to fail to engage and kept them from being able to restart the motor and drive to shore. Probably saved the block in his case. Still ended up doing a new OEM charger, new oil pumps and new bearings just for safety

Never heard of the drive gear (which is the big one on the flywheel) but the driven gear certainly. The other most common failure on superchargers is either the front or rear bearing on the impeller shaft. The front (engine side) especially will usually destroy both gears and often snap the shaft and send the clutch pack and gear portion down towards flywheel and usually through something. Just finished one of these for a friend, he got really lucky, when end gear and clutch pack came off (comes off as one piece with about 1" of shaft holding it together) it dropped in above the starter bendix. Not only did this keep it out of moving parts but it caused the start to fail to engage and kept them from being able to restart the motor and drive to shore. Probably saved the block in his case. Still ended up doing a new OEM charger, new oil pumps and new bearings just for safety

IMG_4583.JPGIMG_4585.JPGIMG_4584.JPG

Dealer rebuilt the supercharger, reinstalled and started the motor knowing the gear had failed and was in the motor, contributing to the damage in the photos, I believe. They now want to charge $3800 to replace parts, oil pumps, flush and put back together. Obviously I am not okay with this. Thoughts? FYI, we shut down the motor immediately when RPM’s dropped and we couldn’t hear the supercharger running.

It gets expensive fast! I won't ever put a rebuilt charger back on, I've had 1 in 3 fail and read enough to see that's about average. For the cost of brand new OEM that's all I do now, just so many parts get destroyed because of a botched rebuild it isn't worth it.

You can get the entire stator assembly on ebay relatively cheap, same for trigger (or just entire flywheel), just be sure to match 05 older or 06 newer when you buy one. I'd open the bottom of the case, main bolts and case bolts reusable, if no scores or marks on main bearings you can assume rod bearings are good too. If scored then check crank but expect rods need new bearings at least too and also bolts, rod bolts are throw aways. Same for flywheel bolts, get new if you replace the parts. NO one wants a flywheel to come off at 8200rpm!

If you elect to keep your cover and just replace pump (open it, any scoring at all, replace both pumps) and/or coils, keep in mind the pump on that cover is a brute, needs special tools to set the seals on water pump side.

If you need to replace pumps or bearings, flush every passage in the block with varsol several times then blow and blow compressed air through.. Some of the shards will still be in passages and go through your new pumps and bearings if not totally cleaned out

It gets expensive fast! I won't ever put a rebuilt charger back on, I've had 1 in 3 fail and read enough to see that's about average. For the cost of brand new OEM that's all I do now, just so many parts get destroyed because of a botched rebuild it isn't worth it.

You can get the entire stator assembly on ebay relatively cheap, same for trigger (or just entire flywheel), just be sure to match 05 older or 06 newer when you buy one. I'd open the bottom of the case, main bolts and case bolts reusable, if no scores or marks on main bearings you can assume rod bearings are good too. If scored then check crank but expect rods need new bearings at least too and also bolts, rod bolts are throw aways. Same for flywheel bolts, get new if you replace the parts. NO one wants a flywheel to come off at 8200rpm!

If you elect to keep your cover and just replace pump (open it, any scoring at all, replace both pumps) and/or coils, keep in mind the pump on that cover is a brute, needs special tools to set the seals on water pump side.

If you need to replace pumps or bearings, flush every passage in the block with varsol several times then blow and blow compressed air through.. Some of the shards will still be in passages and go through your new pumps and bearings if not totally cleaned out

Thank you, appreciate the knowledge and insight.

Just had 2010 RXP supercharger PTO bearing side failure luckily no sheared parts and very moor impeller to casing rub
Owner has no idea how many hours on it

Yes, gear breakage happens and usually tears up other stuff including ripping teeth off the cb gear.

We see these fracture in half all the time. Usually it is accompanied by a bearing failure that screws up alignment before they pop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back