Sucked up a rope

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Branisa

I sucked a dock line into the engine of my 95 sxp. Bogged down right after it happened. I was able to clear it as far as I could see, but am curious how far into the engine it could have gotten. Should I have someone break the engine down to clear it?

The rope would not have made it to the engine. I would look at the pump and drive shaft. Also make sure the rope has not damaged the wear ring and impeller.

Lou

Impeller looks good, but it does seem to run as fast as before this happened. Only got it last wed and am new to pwc. All help appreciated.

Ride!!!

If the ski is not cavitating, and you have cleaned out all the rope, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Go ahead and ride, when you get a chance you can check the clearance between the impeller and wear ring.

If the clearance is out of specs. this can affect performance.

Lou

Cavitating? That is a new term for me. Can you explain. What should the clearance be? Thanks for the help. This may save me from taking to dealer,

Cavitation

You will experience the phenomenon of "cavitation" when you pull the gas lever to the handle (WOT) and the engine revs, but your do goes no where.

I experienced the same thing in 1993 when my wife sucked up a rope on the River. Didn't know what the hell happened, however, when she hit the gas and went no where, I knew something was wrong.

When I saw the rope tangled up on the drive shaft, I thought I was screwed, but, some patience and a knife got rod of the rope.

Cavitating

Cavitating is kinda like when a clutch slips in a car. The ski is making too many rpm's vs. speed, you will also feel a vibration. When cavitation is real bad, it happened to me, you won't be able to bring the ski in plane. It doesn't sound like you are having this problem.

There is a specification for clearance between the impeller and the wear ring, but I can't remember what it is. If you think you are having this problem get back to me and i'll find it.

Going to bed, got to get up early to ride.

Lou

I may be the winner when it comes to being the quickest person to suck up a line on a brand new boat - we didn't get 100 yards out when my brother in law pointed to the side of my boat from his and I knew immediately.

Once I cleared the rope - (there was a small piece floating around) I hit 55 mph.

Cavitation can be interpreted as a disruption of water flow, if you know outdrive props it is often caused by dings or bent props.

My cavitation was caused by the 6" of rope floating around in front of the impeller.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back