Stuff. and things.

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Made this mistake last night. I put in a new OEM seal carrier bearing and I pumped 1 too many pumps of grease and noticed that the cap started to come out. Maybe an 1/8 of the way. My question is, is this unit toast now, do I need to order a new one? Or can I pull it out pop off the zurk fitting release pressure and reseal it it? This is a brand new unit with less than 2 hours on it, I'd hate to have to order a new one, but....

Did you use Loctite 518 around the outside of the seals when you installed them into the carrier bearing?

Chester

It wasn't assembled properly then. The shop manual requires 518 on the outside surface of the seal. It locks it in place and I pump grease until I see grease squeeze out. The seal will never pop out if done correctly.

Chester

...But if what you say is true then why would there be a need to redesign an OEM part that does the same thing?...

I don't understand this question. There is no need to redesign the OEM parts. OEM parts are the best option. You used an aftermarket one. OEM ones do not come assembled. You must buy each part (seals, bearing, housing) separately.

Chester

I don't understand this question. There is no need to redesign the OEM parts. OEM parts are the best option. You used an aftermarket one. OEM ones do not come assembled. You must buy each part (seals, bearing, housing) separately.

Chester

I misinterpreted what was being asked here, my apologies. I purchased a pre-assembled unit (Carrier/Bearing) assembled from oem parts. Using the OEM design "I've read" that its common for grease to blow out a seal if you arent careful. Its important to note that: i've filled up my old carrier after every ride, and noticed grease weeping out. So after installing this new unit, and after the first ride, I went through my same routine where I give it like 2 shots of grease and look for a little to come out; it didnt. I assumed that since it was a new unit maybe it needed more than usual so I hit it again maybe twice, and then noticed the seal had started to push out towards the front. I attempted to press it back in, but it really wasn't seating to my liking so I just decided to get a fresh new unit and be extra careful next go around.

OSD marine makes a pre-assembled unit that addresses this issue. I've captioned them below on their claim. So my response was, if, the oem unit allows for grease to exit, then, why would "OSD" need to redesign it?(I hope this clears up the confusion)

As stated from OSD:
Offered here is our complete Sea Doo seal carrier that's better than OEM or aftermarket. With an oem seal carrier assembled to current specs with the seals they call for, you can't see the grease escape and that's also the case with most aftermarket ones you'll see out there. Note also most aftermarket carriers use two double lip seals and that's a bad idea since pumping in too much grease can blow out a seal then you have to take the shaft out to fix it. If you're using one of our bearing carriers that lets grease escape, you won't have that worry!
We've assembled this new unit using a combination of oem and aftermarket parts but what makes ours different than the rest is the addition of a different design seal on the engine side. Our OSD carrier is similar to an oem carrier in the fact that you have the superior sealing of the double lip seal on the pump (water) side but with the addition of a spring assisted single lip seal on the engine side so grease can escape there once it's full. Basically, when you pump in grease, excess comes out the weaker single lip seal when full and you'll be able to see it. The seal carrier is personally assembled by us using new overstock oem and aftermarket parts and the seals are properly sealed into the carrier with Loctite 518. Besides the benefits of better quality and fit of oem parts, for the work involved with changing one of these it's hard to argue it's not worth spending a little more for one that's built to last.

Last edited:
Ah yes! Sorry. Im speaking in terms of the entire Carrier/Seal/Bearing as 1, assembled with oem parts.

You're fine. I don't use 518, I use 638 which is a bearing retainer, meant for cylindrical surfaces. This will keep the seal in place and allow the lip seal to burp the grease. We use many different types of loctite at work just about daily that require special cleaners and primers. I'm not saying I'm smarter than seadoo, just I think there's better things to use in certain situations.

I think if you look at the seal kit on osd(might not be offered anymore), they used to supply a small tube of 518.

Last edited:
I don't understand why you can't just reseat the seal. Also 2 pumps after every ride is excessive. You should only need to lube it once or twice a season.

I don't understand why you can't just reseat the seal. Also 2 pumps after every ride is excessive. You should only need to lube it once or twice a season.
I probably could, but i just didnt want risk it with it maybe being defective, and for the cost having a spare isnt a bad thing.

BTW I love the Dominos Noid avatar!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back