Steering/pull issues wake 430 06

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ramosa12

My speedster started to leaning to the right out of no where. It gradually started about a week ago. In F mode (no acceleration) is seems to steer to the left side smoother than trying to turn right. This resistance increases with the higher rpms. Steering wheel is at or close to 3 o'clock just to pull straight.

Any and all help appreciated.

2006 speedster wake 430 edition.

Ramosa,

We have the same boat, ours has the same problem in the opposite direction and has since I have been involved in the boat, about 2 years ago. We were under the impression it was because our Port Engine wear ring was blown out along with the starboard throttle required significantly more travel than the port side to maintain equal RPM.

I recently had both engines serviced to include new impellers, wear rings, replaced the steering cable, reverse cable and reverse cable pin. When I got it back on the water the problem still persisted except it no longer worsened with higher RPM, not nearly as prominent but still there, to include the the RPM disparity.

So I took it out again today to test and exercise the engines, now my starboard tachometer has failed and not functioning. Regardless, what I noticed for our boat was that if I maintain the starboard engine throttle farther forward of the port, my steering wheel straightens out and my steering is MUCH more responsive. While the boat still turns sharper and easier to the port side its much more of a clean steering response.

I spoke to my mechanic about it and he mentioned I could adjust my throttle cable to shorten the disparity but it might not be enough to completely equal them out and this should help on the steering wheel.

Have you had your wear rings replaced lately or checked your throttle cables for excess free play?

Not sure if any of this helps but I will be following your thread to see what others have experienced and I'll let you know if adjusting my throttle cable makes any adjustment in my steering wheel.

Last edited:
Ramosa,

We have the same boat, ours has the same problem in the opposite direction and has since I have been involved in the boat, about 2 years ago. We were under the impression it was because our Port Engine wear ring was blown out along with the starboard throttle required significantly more travel than the port side to maintain equal RPM.

I recently had both engines serviced to include new impellers, wear rings, replaced the steering cable, reverse cable and reverse cable pin. When I got it back on the water the problem still persisted except it no longer worsened with higher RPM, not nearly as prominent but still there, to include the the RPM disparity.

So I took it out again today to test and exercise the engines, now my starboard tachometer has failed and not functioning. Regardless, what I noticed for our boat was that if I maintain the starboard engine throttle farther forward of the port, my steering wheel straightens out and my steering is MUCH more responsive. While the boat still turns sharper and easier to the port side its much more of a clean steering response.

I spoke to my mechanic about it and he mentioned I could adjust my throttle cable to shorten the disparity but it might not be enough to completely equal them out and this should help on the steering wheel.

Have you had your wear rings replaced lately or checked your throttle cables for excess free play?

Not sure if any of this helps but I will be following your thread to see what others have experienced and I'll let you know if adjusting my throttle cable makes any adjustment in my steering wheel.

I just purchased the boat at the end of 2018 and had only used it a handful of times in 2019. 2020 is where I started to notice (longer and more frequently used rides) the drag/pull. The only service that was done was steering cable replacement. It snapped while loading my boat one day.

Thanks for your help. Appreciated. I plan on taking it to get looked at near the end of August. I'll definitely share my findings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back