Steering issues

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

gtrotter

I have owned my 2002 Sea-Doo Utopia 205 for about 2 months. Have had it out about three times. I noticed that it pulls to the left and the more power I set the more it pulls. Initially I thought it was a weight distribution problem but it does the same no mater how many passengers on board. Does anyone out there have the same problem or has anyone resolved the same problem? Any ideas? Thanks

Hi Doc, thanks for the quick response. I am everything but jet drive savy. What is the ride plate, how do I tweak and where?

Under the jet nozzle... there's a flat plate. There are 2 bolts that hold it at the end. You can lossesn them, and move the plate up and down, or even a little twist to it.

If you lower the plate, it will help plane the boat at lower speeds... but can cause porpoising (bouncing) at higher speeds. If you give it a little twist... it will cause the boat to lean some at higher speeds, and cause it to turn a little. Since you are heading left... you need to pitch to the right. (lift the right side, or lower the left)

If it's never been adjusted... it may not loosen easy. You will have to reach in, and loosen the nut first, and use an hand impact (with a hammer) to crack it loose. you may want to spray with penetrating oil first, and give it a day to work.

Thanks. So should I also check the outer shiv on the steering cable at the same time; as you answered KenK on Sept 16, 2012?

It's always good to check the cables. But the outer sleeve on the cable causes issues with turning to the left, since the cable will bend in stead of pushing. It doesn't normally cause a problem with "Pulling" under power.

Under the jet nozzle... there's a flat plate. There are 2 bolts that hold it at the end. You can lossesn them, and move the plate up and down, or even a little twist to it.

If you lower the plate, it will help plane the boat at lower speeds... but can cause porpoising (bouncing) at higher speeds. If you give it a little twist... it will cause the boat to lean some at higher speeds, and cause it to turn a little. Since you are heading left... you need to pitch to the right. (lift the right side, or lower the left)

If it's never been adjusted... it may not loosen easy. You will have to reach in, and loosen the nut first, and use an hand impact (with a hammer) to crack it loose. you may want to spray with penetrating oil first, and give it a day to work.

Hey Doc, I'm having exactly the same issue as the O.P. like him, I believe the issue is weight imbalance. I have a 2000 Sportster 1800 210hp that pulls hard to the left . At cruising speed or above I need to hold the steering wheel hard at 3 oclock to go straight. At rest, the boat has a distinct starboard list. Now add the battery to the starboard side, and a half tank of fuel sloshed starboard and a 225 lb man in the starboard driver seat.
I read your comment regarding ride plate adjustment and was a little confused by your instructions. Would you please restate your instructions in terms of adjustment to the ride plate? For a pull to the left, I'm guessing I should be looking at adjusting the right side of the ride plate down and the left side of the right plate up. Is this correct? Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back