Steering is out on challenger 2000

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cabadiesel

Well my steering that was tight all week finally gave out. I was able to enjoy the boat all week and it gave out as I was on my way to the ramp to pull the boat out for the long drive home.
I am certain I need a cable but I also seem to have stripped something in the steering box. So I will be taking out the cable and steering box tomorrow. Once I do, should I be able to move the jet housing by hand freely? Can't seem to do it now and I assume its because of the cable

Can Anyone recommend a place to purchase my parts and part numbers
Also, is this a job I can do myself?

Thanks

Yes... it's a job you can do yourself.

Once the cable is off the pump nozzle... it should move back and forth with zero resistance.

Also... take the cable off the steering box end... and check the gears. If you did stip the steering box... you will be the first I've heard of on a seadoo.

Once the cable is off both ends... let us know what you find.

Ok Dr Honda. Joke is on me. I am stuck, can't get one last bolt off that is attached to cable. This nut won't go through the hull and there is now way to get a tool around it. Do you have to take the jet drive apart?image.jpg

Got it, it was difficult but the cable is out. Will order tonight. Did not have to take the nozzle off.
Now, you said if the steering box is messed up it would be a first, well,I guess I am the first

image.jpg

Wow!! Umm..... Good job?? (lol) I guess being first, in this case isn't a good thing.

Teleflex makes the seadoo box... so you may be able to get parts.

Was the cable tight? Was your steering nozzle tight?

Cable was frozen, nozzle was free as a bird. I order the steering box last night but cannot find the cable or at least the same part number that matches the number on my cables

Cable was frozen, nozzle was free as a bird. I order the steering box last night but cannot find the cable or at least the same part number that matches the number on my cables

Doc will jump on this but the cable is somewhat generic. Many places sell them, you just need to know the specs is all.

Thank you! I wasn't sure and I knew you would know! Can't wait to get it back together and drive around with good steering!

That's a good one!
Got my steering box today, was going to install tonight but it got a little late. Still waiting on the cable. Will post results soon!

I have had the boat in the water twice sine steering cable replacement and all I have to say is WOW! This thing is a blast!
Thanks for everyone's help!

get one of these took me 3hrs to get the dam nut off and 3 minutes to put back on with this 22mm crows foot crows%20foot%20wrench.jpg
but you need to loosen the billows inside motor compartment and slide cable forward and nut will slide off

Ok Dr Honda. Joke is on me. I am stuck, can't get one last bolt off that is attached to cable. This nut won't go through the hull and there is now way to get a tool around it. Do you have to take the jet drive apart?View attachment 21429

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back