Starting issues

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

geauxnow

Good morning, I'm new here to the forum. I've owned this 96 GTI for 2 years and haven't had any problems with it. I put a fresh battery in and it is charged, 12.6v. Sometimes the starter engages, most often it does nothing. When it does engage, it does not continue.
My start switch proves good everytime. Although at times, the solenoid will not energize. So there is that.
To remove the solenoid from the equation, I can short across the solenoid points to send 12v directly to the starter. The starter will engage but only for a second or two. And after that it will not engage at all at least for about a minute. I removed the starter and with it uninstalled from the block, it will run and operate every time. I can use my fingers inside the opening for the starter and move the flywheel. What's up with the solenoid, what's up with the starter?

Cleaned some terminals, made sure the impellor is not seized. I can get the solenoid to make every time now. Still not understanding why the starter won't engage, bolted back to the engine, even when I short the solenoid n.o. contacts, although it engages when it is not installed on the engine.

Is the bendix moving freely on the shaft and does it travel all the way out? The bendix gear should spin one way in it's housing but not spin the other way, double check this.

If you bought an aftermarket starter it will be junk.

Just buy a $20 brush kit for your OEM one and that’s typically all it takes.

If the starter doesn't spin fast enough the bendix will not engage the flywheel and back off giving the result you are describing. If you put the starter on the bench and put the battery to it the starter should slam that bendix out with force, the starter should almost jump out of you hand if you are holding it (torque). Low voltage on the battery, bad brushes will cause bad performance/low rpm's. Spinning speed is what gets that bendix out and holds it out.

I suggested checking the bendix condition based on the info you gave. kind of a long shot, but a check to do anytime the starter is out of the machine.

Is that the diagnosis, that the brushes weakened where the Bendix doesn't function normally?

I had an OEM starter that had a similar issue, on my project GTX last year doing top to bottom when I bench tested it would jump out and go back and forth but not run continuous. I bought a cheap rebuild kit off ebay and replaced the brushes, that seemed to fix that issue.

On my current project, 96' GSX, I didn't really see an issue with the starter on the bench test, but went ahead anyway and purchased another starter rebuild kit. Same thing, I was after the brushes and replaced them for piece of mind. Less than $20 shipped....starter is strong and like new. Starter Rebuild Kit For Sea-Doo GSX GTX 780 1996 1997 | eBay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back