starter mystery - 96 xp 787 - looking to the pros on this one!

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

doomann88

using two oem starters - one the original, one form a newer 3d 800. ski is a all stock 96 xp. the very first time i hit the button this year it turned over from being winterized and started right up no issues. then the very next time hitting the button i get nothing...

direct wiring each starter to the battery on the bench both spin like a top.

put them in the ski, relay clicks but neither starter will spin

Tests: all other aux systems will work no issues, gauges/vts all normal. test was done with and w/o vts fuse in with same result.

in each instance starter does not spin.

volt meter on both battery terminals - 12 volts when holding the button and when letting go

disconnect 12v+ from starter and connect to volt meter, negative on engine ground, push button, get 12v on meter

essentially if i take the starter out of the circuit i get 12v potential to where the starter should be, but as soon as i connect it in i get 0v potential.

Maybe my battery wires cant flow the current when the whole ski is wired up but can on the bench? im at a loss on this one.

hopefully one of you guys can help!

So as an update, I made some leads and used a high amp switch to jump across the solenoid. Jumping the solenoid would turn the starter over with no issues, I was even able to get the ski started jumping the solenoid, so seems like the contacts in my solenoid are able to create a voltage potential but not carry the current that was required...

That is correct I'm confident it is just the solenoid, I ordered a new one I'll confirm when I put it in...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back