starter motor advice needed (Gsx 1997)

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhonus

Hi Guy's

To cut a long story short. I sank my ski, cleaned it out with WD40 and got it running again. When testing it on water it ran for a while (not at full power) then conked out and wouldn't restart. I put it into a dealer to fix it and they blew the engine and washed their hands of it.

I then decided to try and fix it. Put in new pistons and rebuilt it. It all seems to turn over by hand but i couldn't get the started to engage. Put in a new starter relay as i think this was gubbed. Starter still wouldn't engage. It spins but doesn't pop out. Took it apart rebuilt it same issue.

Bought new starter motor still get the same issue. Removed the starter and tried to power it direct from a battery charger to see if i could get it to pop out no joy. Is this a power issue to the starter motor?

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated?

gordy

It sounds to me that you have either a weak battery or a loose or corroded connection.

Lou

Bought new starter motor still get the same issue. Removed the starter and tried to power it direct from a battery charger to see if i could get it to pop out no joy. Is this a power issue to the starter motor?

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated?

gordy

If I am reading this correctly, the starter doesn't spin when hooked up to the battery charger? If that is the case, the problem isn't in your ski (unless the battery charger is to weak to run the starter).

First,,,, let's slow down a bit.

It is MUCH better to test and diagnose things rather than just start spending money guessing

So, you need to get the batter LOAD TESTED. If under a load it is around 11 volts it needs replaced. And I'm betting you have a marginal battery based on what you have done and where you presently are.

Also, starters that have been submerged can get a rust ring that will not allow the Bendix to pop out.

So if you do have a good battery you need to get the rust ring removed from the shaft if the starter.

If you simply want to test the starter, use your car battery and QUALITY jumper cables. Using your ski battery until you know for certain it's condition is a gamble.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back