Starter misaligning with flywheel (HELP!)

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael80weir

Hi everyone, first post on here so bare with me.
Bought a 1992 Seadoo SP white motor a year ago from a guy for a for $150. Had some starting issues but this thing is in mint condition for a 1992.Took everything apart cleaned the carb, rebuilt the starter, got a new battery and even built some custom rear vents after losing the other ones on the water. Runs better but still the starter issues there 5 out of 10 times, I know this because I visually watched the bendix hit the flywheel and miss and simply slaps back or sits behind the flywheel, but the bendix IS MOVING FORWARD.
My question is has anyone had this issue? Im pretty mechanically inclined so my assumption is either I can get a new bendix for 20$ and try it out or my shaft inside the starter is bent so it only meshes properly when the bend is perfect which means buy a used OEM one and swap everything from the rebuild kit. Orrr just a shot in the dark I did get a bigger battery from NAPA over the stock spec but that’s because that’s what was in it he ski before, could this be too powerful for the starter causing the cranking power to be too fast for the flywheel???

You likely have starter issues. Verify it is the correct one. Is the flywheel worn excessively? When buying something used you never know what the previous owner stuck in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back