starter just spins

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

dklswh

Just picked up a 2000 sportster with a 951 that needed a starter, removed starter and it was seized solid, put in new starter and it just spins, removed and checked bendix, it goes it an and out but it will spin both directions, does it need replacing and can it be done without removing engine?

I believe most starter bendix screw out and then screw back in pretty quickly when it doesnt engage so I think spinning in both directions is normal. I would try turning the drive shaft by hand a little and see if the bendix will engage.

The starter needs a minimum amount of voltage to spin out/ throw/ engage the bendix. Do you have at least 12.6 volts at the starter. So you removed the front cover to check the bendix? What was wrong with the old starter? Most of the time it's just a set of brushes. Did you buy an after market starter., they rarely work, which is why I will replace the brushes. It's also possible that the clutch in the bendix is gone, and will not engage internally, it just slips.

The starter needs a minimum amount of voltage to spin out/ throw/ engage the bendix. Do you have at least 12.6 volts at the starter. So you removed the front cover to check the bendix? What was wrong with the old starter? Most of the time it's just a set of brushes. Did you buy an after market starter., they rarely work, which is why I will replace the brushes. It's also possible that the clutch in the bendix is gone, and will not engage internally, it just slips.
Had 12.5 volts, starter bearing was seized (lots of rusty water came out), removed engine, good thing stator hub is on wrong small tab is lined up to flywheel hole. have to go get puller to remove flywheel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back