Starter engages for only 1 second when worm?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

azirkhan

Starter engages for only 1 second when warm?

My 240EFI (Year 2001) starter (cold engine at dock or in my driveway) will crank for as long as I hold the key at the start position. But when the motor warms up the starter only engages the flywheel for about a second or so. Lucky the motor is in good condition. The 1 second of crank along with the steering turned to one side or another to activate the throttle always starts the warm engine. (my cylinder head temp sensor was changed last season).

Is there a problem with the starter or is the problem some ware else?

Thanks.
Azir.

Last edited by a moderator:
Either your battery is weak... or the starter is running slow. I would start with removing the cables, and cleaning all the connections. Then... replace the starter brushes.

Starter dismantled.

OK, here are some photos of the starter dismantled, really does not look too dirty and the carbon brushes see to be sufficient length. All the connections looked OK too!

What else to look for? Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG-20120717-00556.jpg
    IMG-20120717-00556.jpg
    443.8 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG-20120717-00557.jpg
    IMG-20120717-00557.jpg
    441.9 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG-20120717-00558.jpg
    IMG-20120717-00558.jpg
    461.2 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG-20120717-00559.jpg
    IMG-20120717-00559.jpg
    369.2 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG-20120717-00560.jpg
    IMG-20120717-00560.jpg
    560.6 KB · Views: 25
Yep... not too bad of shape. Make sure to clean in between the commutator plates. If you have a build up of copper/carbon... it will be a light internal short. Also... lightly sand the com clean. (don't get too crazy with it though)

Did you take the connections apart to check? Sometimes, just taking it all apart, and putting it back together will make a world of difference.

On other thing... is the Bendx moving free? (in and out) It could use a cleaning and lube.

I have only been out once since the cleaning. Unfortunately the cleaning did not seem to help. Cold start is as usual without any hesitation and immediate. I only tried to start it once without giving throttle with a warm engine. Again the starter did not crank continiously. With warm engine and no throttle the statrer only cranked for perhaps a second. However with warm enginer a little bit of throttle (steering turned to its limit on one sideor another) it starts immediately. Actually I am very impressed at how fast it starts, guess compression is good. I suspect the problem may be a weak solonoid or starter. Guess I am going to have to change the solonoid next and see if that fixes the problem.

Just an FYI... My "Project" Islandia did the same thing when I put the engine back together. It would crank... but as soon as the engien would POP... the starter would drop out. So... same as you... it would "Crank for one second."

What I did:

1) Got a new battery. (the one that came with the boat cranked, but the voltage was low while cranking)
2) Cleaned all the cable connections.
3) Greased the Bendix shaft.

After doing all that... it will now crank as it should.

Tony,
I'm having a very similar issue with my 2001 Challenger 2000. 240 EFI, starter will engage the flywheel momentarily but falls away after only a moment of cranking. Mechanic neighbor thinks the starter should remain engaged as long as I'm turning the key. Had the boat out last weekend and it started 3 - 4 times without a problem but won't start anymore. Battery is only 5 months old, electrical contacts all look good. Would you recommend I disassemble the starter and grease the Bendix shaft?

I have not tried cranking the steering wheel when I turn the key. May try that tomorrow before I do anything else.

I appreciate your help.

Jeremy

I have come to the conclusion that this starting behavior is "normal" for our engines! You see our starters are different to regular automotive starters. The solenoid on our starters is separate from the starter itself and does not assist in pushing the Bendix out to meet the flywheel. Our starters throw out/ push up the Bendix due to the Helical gear which must be lubricated with light oil not grease. With our starters the problem is when the engine speed during cranking is greater then the starter speed, the Bendix will automatically disengages due to the spring/ gravity. Think about what I reasoning and let me know if you agree.

Absolutely.

The second the engine speed is faster than the starter... the Bendix will drop out. BUT... if the shaft is clean and oiled/greased... it may not drop off as fast, because it will have a more positive engagement.

Also... since we are dealing with a speed differential, making sure the internals of the starter are clean... and that the battery is up to a full charge will help.

That worked!
The electrical contacts were dirtier than I thought they were and the engine didn't fire on the first turn of the key, however on the second turn it cranked for a full 3 seconds and on the third turn it fired up (with a little help from a hard over steering wheel).

I wasn't able to fully disassemble the starter, but I was able to turn the weight on the top of the Bendix and get a rag and some oil onto the threads of the shaft.

Thanks for your help!!

Jeremy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back