starter bendix rusted/corrosion question

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

DJDaveOtt

Taking the advice I've found on here, we've ordered the better starter as opposed to the cheap eBay ones. My question is, and I should have taken a picture, the starter bendix is pretty rusted...should this be a cause for concern of other internal parts?
More information on this ski is 1998 GSXL belongs to a friend and has been converted to premix and oil tank removed.

I would replace the bendix with a good used OEM one. What starter did you get? If it isn't OEM it's junk.

an OEM starter of course. I’ve read up on the cheap ones not being worth anything but a good paperweight lol. Should I be concerned about any other internal parts since this thing is so rusted? I’ve never pulled one before and thought I’d ask. Is it normal to be rusted?

Put it in today. Problem solved. I used grease to make it go in easier and both a 3" and 6" 3/8 ratchet extension and hammered it in. On to the next one now.. Those GSXL's are wicked fast. I'm a bit jealous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back