Started my challenger 180 se 2007 whilst out of water and.........

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Diablo

Ok started my challenger whilst out of the water today whilst on the trailer hooked up the hose with out turning it on (as per the instruction manual) and after five or so seconds i got loud screeching noise?! i immediately shut it down any idea what this could be ? im in panic mode now.

Screeching is almost always a bearing going bad and about to seize.

Does the impeller spin freely? It shouldn't.

Just a quick heads up and a quick thank you. You where right and it was my driveshaft bearing .and its going in for repair next week. So thanx for your input it has been totally invaluable

Have the shop replace the carbon seal, bellows, and stainless hat while they are doing the bearing. Those parts have to be removed to swap out the bearing so there shouldn't be any additional labor.

Hi I just started mine a few days ago and the exact same thing happened. I was thinking it was the jet pump because when I took the jet pump off there was tons of scoring and it looked like the impeller was hitting the jet pump. Is this at all possible? Also why would that happen?

Hi I just started mine a few days ago and the exact same thing happened. I was thinking it was the jet pump because when I took the jet pump off there was tons of scoring and it looked like the impeller was hitting the jet pump. Is this at all possible? Also why would that happen?

With the pump in your hand, does the impeller spin smoothly and quietly? If so? It would not be the bearings.

This may sound silly but are the bearings you speak of in the jet pump? or is it the bearings of the shaft that goes into the jet pump?

I do not actually know because I have sent the pump in for a rebuild and to have them put in a Skat Trak Swirl. I just assumed the whole time that the intermittent loud grinding noise was the Pump.

I will email the guy and have him check for me before he rebuilds it.

This may sound silly but are the bearings you speak of in the jet pump? or is it the bearings of the shaft that goes into the jet pump?

I do not actually know because I have sent the pump in for a rebuild and to have them put in a Skat Trak Swirl. I just assumed the whole time that the intermittent loud grinding noise was the Pump.

I will email the guy and have him check for me before he rebuilds it.

There are two styles. Most have the bearings only in the pump and then a seal on the shaft that is part of the Carbon Seal system.

The other style which is for older skies and or those that have eliminated the CS style, has bearings in the jet pump and on the shaft as well.

You should have the CS style which means you have bearings only in the jet pump. If they go bad, it will make pretty aggressive noises and even lock up the engine.

Okay so when the guy (OSD Marine) goes to rebuild the pump he will be able to figure out if the bearings are bad and replace them.

If he determines that the bearings are good then I will have further problems relating to me needing to replace something on the shaft.

Thank you so much. My next question may be another ridiculous one but I still gotta ask. Is it possible to start the engine without the jet pump on? This would let me know if the problem is with the shaft or not in theory.

Mine was driveshaft bearing and impeller bearings but i got a whole array of stuff done as well replaced impeller and linished the drive shaft and a service cost me $1650 i was pretty happy with the result.
The mechanic knew his stuff and ill be taking it in during the off season getting it modded from 215 hp to 255 bugger it why not she deserves all the love the previous idiot never gave it !

How is the holeshot now?

I am really hoping that it is just my impeller bearing. Is there any way to find out if it is a driveshaft issue as well?

What mechanic did you take it to? The dealer or a boat guy?

Thanks

Well up on plane in 3.2 seconds top speed so far of 70kph Keep in mind its only a 215 sc mine was a loud squealing noise and it eventually leaked oil .and telling you who i took it too is a bit useless as i am in Australia i see your in the U.S but pretty much i replaced everything that needed replacing .

Well up on plane in 3.2 seconds top speed so far of 70kph Keep in mind its only a 215 sc mine was a loud squealing noise and it eventually leaked oil .and telling you who i took it too is a bit useless as i am in Australia i see your in the U.S but pretty much i replaced everything that needed replacing .
That's great news that you were able to get everything sorted out. My jet pump is out getting rebuilt now. They are putting in a new Skat Trak swirl during the rebuild.

If that is not the case I have scheduled an appointment at the Seadoo dealer for 3 weeks from now. They have quoted me $270 with parts to rebuild the carbon seal. Do I have all of my bases covered with that plan?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back