Starboard Engine Lockup

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

enut

After going for a ride I shut down the motors, no problem. After an hour or two, we went to go back, the port engine started right up. The starboard engine would not crank over, just a click from the solenoid. I checked the solenoid, and the battery is good.

So I pulled the pump, the pump spins freely. I put a wrench on the pto and I was able to rock it back and forth and got it to spin freely. The motor now starts up and runs fine.

Could I have a starter issue, or could my motor be on it's way out. Has anyone had this happen to them before?

Thanks

I will check compression. If it is okay, then I will run and see if it happens again.
If it happens again, I will pull the starter off first to see if that releases the engine. Then at least I would know if it is the starter.

Does anyone have any other suggestions? Thanks

I think your on the right track, could be a dead spot on the starter motor.

A compression check will also help confirm the condition on the engine.

Andy

Like Grandpa taught me, whack it with a hammer. That's what I had to do to mine. Because it is on the bottom under everything, I put a socket extension against it and hit that with a hammer. works fine for now but will probably need replacing.

Compression is good. I got it to lock up again, rotated the crankshaft, then I heard a snap and all was well again.

I also noticed that the bolt that goes into the bracket on the rear of the starter was missing. When the motor was locked up, there was a space between the bracket and the engine block of about 1/8 of an inch. When the engine is not locked up, the bracket is flush with the engine. So I am thinking that because of the missing bolt, the starter moves and the bendix gets jammed. Does this make sense?

Got a bolt in there now, so I will see how she runs now.

Compression is good. I got it to lock up again, rotated the crankshaft, then I heard a snap and all was well again.

I also noticed that the bolt that goes into the bracket on the rear of the starter was missing. When the motor was locked up, there was a space between the bracket and the engine block of about 1/8 of an inch. When the engine is not locked up, the bracket is flush with the engine. So I am thinking that because of the missing bolt, the starter moves and the bendix gets jammed. Does this make sense?

Got a bolt in there now, so I will see how she runs now.

It does sound like it was stuck/jammed and putting torque on the starter. That would explain the gap..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back