Spring Boating near Alberta/BC

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

Davo070

Any one have any tips of any lakes that are skiable in early spring (May onwards) that are within driving distance of Calgary?

Looking for somewhere to get away for the weekend once my Challenger has its spring tune up.

Would consider anywhere up to 5-6 hours driving distance from Calgary, I appreciate that at this time of year the water is not going to be too warm, but just somewhere bearable will do!

Thanks

Davo

Little Bow is typically open by that time of year, but take a drive out first to be sure. I have yet to miss May long weekend on Little Bow, but it will be really cold............:ack:

Aaron:cheers:

osoyoos B.C may be a littel more then 6hr but this lake is just what the DR ordered this is canada,s only desrert by the middel of april the water is great in the summer the lake is like a warm bath there is two or three pic in my profile:driving::):)

Hi Davo
This year - Ive been watching Lake Dieffenbaker melt very quickly! Im thinking that i may be attempting to waterski for the May 24 weekend!
Its a great lake that goes from just South of Outlook, SK - to Regina.
800 kms of beach too. Closest arm would probably be Swift Current.
Heres hoping the warm water continues.

Any one have any tips of any lakes that are skiable in early spring (May onwards) that are within driving distance of Calgary?

Looking for somewhere to get away for the weekend once my Challenger has its spring tune up.

Would consider anywhere up to 5-6 hours driving distance from Calgary, I appreciate that at this time of year the water is not going to be too warm, but just somewhere bearable will do!

Thanks

Davo

ya i dont think ghost will be ready too soon lol. Im thinking about draggin mine out to okanagan or down to osoyoos soon.hopefully ill get days off soon to try and install my new tower first. ill post if i know if anything thaws!

decision made

decided on a week in Osoyoos, last week in May, should be fun, may get out for a run just to test the boat before then, not bad deal via VRBO, $980 for a week in a 4 bed lakeside house with its own dock and ramp!

Just checked the weather in Osoyoos, its going to be 25 degrees this Sunday!!

Shuswap in Early May

decided on a week in Osoyoos, last week in May, should be fun, may get out for a run just to test the boat before then, not bad deal via VRBO, $980 for a week in a 4 bed lakeside house with its own dock and ramp!

Just checked the weather in Osoyoos, its going to be 25 degrees this Sunday!!

Sicamous & the Shuswap & Mara Lakes are the Mecca for Calgarians like us. I had my new 180 challenger in the water the first week of May. Osoyoos is great but Sicamous is boat city with 1000 miles of shoreline and three hours closer.
I am posting this a little late, but may help you for next May.

OMG dont swim in Shuswap lake thats nasty..lol

Osoyoos is MUCH MUCH cleaner..

Skaha lake 1 hour closer then Osoyoos usually is just as warm & very clean as well..

I wouldnt swim in Okanagan lake either they pull bodies out of it on a weekly basis.. :ack:

OMG dont swim in Shuswap lake thats nasty..lol

Osoyoos is MUCH MUCH cleaner..

Skaha lake 1 hour closer then Osoyoos usually is just as warm & very clean as well..

I wouldnt swim in Okanagan lake either they pull bodies out of it on a weekly basis.. :ack:
Actually , I lived on the Swap for a couple of years. It is a mountain fed lake that naturally cleans itself yearly, and is not damed anywhere because of the natural salmon run from the coast. Other than houseboat garbage it is much cleaner than Okanogan or Osoyoos.

I agree the Shuswap is not a dirty lake and it is 130m Deep just a little ways from shore here is Sicamous. There are a lot of logs and wood debris floating down the Shuswap river into Mara then Shuswap and the Eagle river into Shuswap with winter run off in mid May to July 1, but it is all mountain water and clean wood.
This year with very high water due to run off and rain the problem with swimming is the public beach was/still is flooded to the top such that there was/is no beach. Mosquitos are unusually brutal the past two weeks - all the more reason to get out on the boat and let it rip.

Back