Speedster Questions

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Purchased a 2012 155HP 150 Speedster at the end of August this year. Only have 6 hours on it so far, but working on having 10 hours by the end of October.

Cannot run WOT until reaching 10 hours, but wondering about the top speed of this boat.

What is the top speed seen with this boat with one person on board, glassy water & no wind?

Got the 4 year BEST extended warranty from BRP without additional cost. After talking to BRP and reading the owners manual, it appears to keep from voiding the warranty, a BRP dealer will have to perform service maintenance. I have a 2012 service manual, BRP motor oil & filter, and mechanical experience from maintaining cars, motorcycles, & airplanes over 35 years. Very happy they gave me additional warranty and it's worth it to me to let a dealer perform maintenance to keep the warranty in force.

Has anyone run into an issue when the warranty would not be honored when the owner "correctly" performs required maintenence as per the service manual?

Will have more than 10 hours before 6 months on the Speedster and plan to take it out on the water at least every 2 weeks during the winter months. Don't plan to winterize it since I keep it in a garage that never gets below 50F inside. Have seen post mention first 10 hour service. The operators manual requires the first service at 25 hours or 6 months.

Should it be serviced @ 10 hours with the new engine?

Had it out on the Catawba River again yesterday and "really" like this boat. It's a fun runabout, looks like it will make a solid boat for towing a tube or skier, and fishing. It's a shame BRP stopped manufacturing boats this year, but I believe the demand for BRP boats will continue for years and these boats will retain their value. The 150 Speedster is a perfect match using the 4 cylinder Tacoma as a tow vehicle. This Speedster is a Keeper! :thumbsup:

267.jpg

268.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations on the new boat, it looks great! I really like the updates on the 2012 model. It is a shame they are halting production of the boats, but understandable. The larger 'expensive' models were quite expensive and seems like they may have priced themselves out of the market for those models. The smaller speedster 150's though seem priced right and nobody else is really making this small size boat, so maybe they will find it profitable to make this model again someday...

I have the same 155hp model, only older, and I can reach 50mph with only me in the boat on a perfect day. Otherwise, you will likely reach low 40's. Still fast enough and strong enough to pull skier's and tuber's.

I can't comment much about the warranty stuff, but I would hope that if you are diligent in keeping your records, receipts, and log of maintenance you performed yourself, you should be able to keep the warranty valid when performing maintenance yourself. Others on this forum with newer machines can probably provide more info. Since you have past mechanical experience, maintain this machine should be easy. I have found that they are generally very easy to work on if you have the right tools and resources.

Anyway good luck and enjoy!

In my search for a 15 to 16' runabout, the Speedster was a perfect fit. Had to have a boat/trailer that would fit & get along with the red, green, yellow, black motorcycles in the garage. No issues with the orange boat getting along with the bikes! :thumbsup: Started checking out the handling of the boat on the river yesterday, as you guys already know, the Speedster can really turn! :cheers:

Thanks!!

Purchased a 2012 155HP 150 Speedster at the end of August this year. Only have 6 hours on it so far, but working on having 10 hours by the end of October.

Cannot run WOT until reaching 10 hours, but wondering about the top speed of this boat.

What is the top speed seen with this boat with one person on board, glassy water & no wind?

Got the 4 year BEST extended warranty from BRP without additional cost. After talking to BRP and reading the owners manual, it appears to keep from voiding the warranty, a BRP dealer will have to perform service maintenance. I have a 2012 service manual, BRP motor oil & filter, and mechanical experience from maintaining cars, motorcycles, & airplanes over 35 years. Very happy they gave me additional warranty and it's worth it to me to let a dealer perform maintenance to keep the warranty in force.

Has anyone run into an issue when the warranty would not be honored when the owner "correctly" performs required maintenence as per the service manual?

Will have more than 10 hours before 6 months on the Speedster and plan to take it out on the water at least every 2 weeks during the winter months. Don't plan to winterize it since I keep it in a garage that never gets below 50F inside. Have seen post mention first 10 hour service. The operators manual requires the first service at 25 hours or 6 months.

Should it be serviced @ 10 hours with the new engine?

Had it out on the Catawba River again yesterday and "really" like this boat. It's a fun runabout, looks like it will make a solid boat for towing a tube or skier, and fishing. It's a shame BRP stopped manufacturing boats this year, but I believe the demand for BRP boats will continue for years and these boats will retain their value. The 150 Speedster is a perfect match using the 4 cylinder Tacoma as a tow vehicle. This Speedster is a Keeper! :thumbsup:

267.jpg

268.jpg

Love the 2012 display, I think if I keep my boat Ill upgrade it to that display, I had an older sportster and the parts where interchangeable, hopefully its the same case now!

Top speed on your model (the high output 255hp), should reach 60mph with what BRP stated... though, thats very fast, and unsafe I think lol...

Reaching over 40mph is very fast as well.. I see on your picture you were going 35mph, you didnt want to put the throttle all the way up to keep your warranty right? :)

Also, if I may ask, how much did you pay for your boat?

Love the 2012 display, I think if I keep my boat Ill upgrade it to that display, I had an older sportster and the parts where interchangeable, hopefully its the same case now!

Top speed on your model (the high output 255hp), should reach 60mph with what BRP stated... though, thats very fast, and unsafe I think lol...

Reaching over 40mph is very fast as well.. I see on your picture you were going 35mph, you didnt want to put the throttle all the way up to keep your warranty right? :)

Also, if I may ask, how much did you pay for your boat?

You are right on the throttle setting, until reaching 10 hours. I like the panel & features, too.

$17,500 including all fees & 4 extra years of warranty in addition to the original 1 year warranty.. It's a 2012 155HP Speedster.

Thanks!

You are right on the throttle setting, until reaching 10 hours. I like the panel & features, too.

$17,500 including all fees & 4 extra years of warranty in addition to the original 1 year warranty.. It's a 2012 155HP Speedster.

Thanks!

Wow, you totally got an awesome deal for a 2012!, I paid $18,500 with all fees & taxes for a 2011 brand new, with only a 3 year warranty. (1 year, plus 2 year best). But this was at the beginning of July before any mentioning of them getting out of the sport boat business.

I think I should have paid a lot less now, but how much less, they are selling used 2009 ones for like $14,900.00. These things hold their value dramatically.

So when did you buy your boat? just recently?

So when did you buy your boat? just recently?

Bought it August 30th 2012. When I purchased it new, I did not know Sea Doo
was stopping boat production and I believe the dealer did not know either.

Found the boat on an ebay auction but was not ready to place a bid on it. Called
the dealer when there was not a winning bid and worked the deal out on the telephone.
It was a 1400 mile round trip to New York that required an overnight stay, but felt
like it was worth it. My Wife & I liked the orange color, too.

In the end I feel like I got a new boat with the latest technology for a fair price.
The additional 4 year BEST warranty is the icing on the cake. Also believe this boat
will hold it's value well, but have no plans to sell it.

Bought it August 30th 2012. When I purchased it new, I did not know Sea Doo
was stopping boat production and I believe the dealer did not know either.

Found the boat on an ebay auction but was not ready to place a bid on it. Called
the dealer when there was not a winning bid and worked the deal out on the telephone.
It was a 1400 mile round trip to New York that required an overnight stay, but felt
like it was worth it. My Wife & I liked the orange color, too.

In the end I feel like I got a new boat with the latest technology for a fair price.
The additional 4 year BEST warranty is the icing on the cake. Also believe this boat
will hold it's value well, but have no plans to sell it.

IT WAS WORTH THE TRIP!! lol

You saved dramatically a lot of money, Im hoping that you did not have to pay tax on it either, my out of state customers dont have to pay tax on my computer orders here...

So Im not sure how it is where your from in regard to taxes. But that's an amazing deal. I actually felt pretty smart on the deal I got, but I would have totally gone for a 2012 instead if the price was like yours.. the cheapest I seen it on here in Cali is $19,599 - plus dealer prep and etc, etc., etc.. So thats a huge deal, and the 5 year warranty is easily worth $2500 dollars, so you made out like a bandit.

Oh well, water under the bridge.. Time to enjoy our wonderful boats!

Also, I never took it to 35mph in my first 5 hours. I really appreciate the warranty our boats came with. I had a 1995 seadoo sportster, my first boat, and I learned on that boat, but I had a steep learning curve, I ran into rocks, docks, bridges, boats and people LOL

My boat died on the water a lot of times. I finally worked out all the kinks and then I sold it to buy this one! :)

IT WAS WORTH THE TRIP!! lol

You saved dramatically a lot of money, Im hoping that you did not have to pay tax on it either, my out of state customers dont have to pay tax on my computer orders here...

So Im not sure how it is where your from in regard to taxes.

Registered the boat & trailer in NC & taxes are paid in NC. The $17,500 was the out the door deal in NY. Had to buy a $12 temporary transport tag from NY DMV to legally trailer it home home to NC. On the way home to NC trailering the Speedster with my 4 cylinder 2.4L Tacoma, got 20MPG, averaging 65MPH on interstates. :thumbsup:

Had three previous boats over 30 years ago, all with outboards. The jet boat is really "different" from outboards in reverse. :) Going to try to get 10 hours on the boat by the end of October, then I will post a photo of the panel when the throttle is wide open on glassy water. :driving:

39.jpg

42.jpg

Nice!! You got a sick deal on that rig!! What's the little toggle switch for beside your speedo? Thats a sharp looking boat enjoy!!

Nice!! You got a sick deal on that rig!! What's the little toggle switch for beside your speedo? Thats a sharp looking boat enjoy!!

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!

Not sure how other SeaDoo boats are set up, but this is how my Speedster is set up:

Toggles left of speedo:

Top: Nav Lights
Middle:Bilge Pump
Bottom:Bilge Blower

Toggles/Buttons Right of Tach:

Top switch up/down-Navigate in a mode to modify settings and adjust cruise speed
Middle button: Set button to save modified settings or select desired mode
Bottom Button: To scroll through various modes using the digital screen that normally displays heading/depth

Button below/left of key: Engine Start/Stop Button

On the bottom left you can also see the remote stereo control:

281.jpg

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!

Not sure how other SeaDoo boats are set up, but this is how my Speedster is set up:

Toggles left of speedo:

Top: Nav Lights
Middle:Bilge Pump
Bottom:Bilge Blower

Toggles/Buttons Right of Tach:

Top switch up/down-Navigate in a mode to modify settings and adjust cruise speed
Middle button: Set button to save modified settings or select desired mode
Bottom Button: To scroll through various modes using the digital screen that normally displays heading/depth

Button below/left of key: Engine Start/Stop Button

On the bottom left you can also see the remote stereo control:

281.jpg

On the bottom right hand corner, is that a key or DESS lanyard? Love the layout... it looks like lanyard, on the bigger boats they have a key

On the bottom right hand corner, is that a key or DESS lanyard? Love the layout... it looks like lanyard, on the bigger boats they have a key

Thanks!

It's a shame for BRP to stop producing a boat like this.

It's a key/ignition switch, kill switch, and battery master disconnect switch next to the operators right knee:

294.jpg

295.jpg

296.jpg

297.jpg

Thanks for posting all the pics! Made some signifigant changes thats for sure, couple more hours and she'll be all broken in. Then you'll really get your hair blown back as to what this boat can do. Just remember you have to always, constantly remind your passengers where the "OH S**T!" handles are and to use them. Trust me you get playin' around with this boat and its nothing to have them get tossed around or out.

Thanks for posting all the pics! Made some signifigant changes thats for sure, couple more hours and she'll be all broken in. Then you'll really get your hair blown back as to what this boat can do. Just remember you have to always, constantly remind your passengers where the "OH S**T!" handles are and to use them. Trust me you get playin' around with this boat and its nothing to have them get tossed around or out.

First thing a friend (he has a 20' Sea Ray) asked when I got the boat home, what are those things (handles). Sent him the YouTube link for the 2012 150 Speedster to show him how the boat handles. He saw the passengers in the boat hanging on to the handles. Will start hooking the kill switch tether to me.

With the comments I'm hearing on the forum it sounds like BRP made improvements to the 150 Speedster with intentions to manufacture it beyond 2012. Must have been a 2nd quarter decision to stop manufacturing. When talking to a BRP rep, it sounded like the dealers were not informed about the boat manufacturing decision until September 2012.

I probably take too many photos but here's some non related boat shots:

Here's something else you need to hold on while operating. Used to own a 150, a Cessna 150 Aerobat. With flying getting so expensive, stopped for a while, but hope to get back to it one day. Took this shot from the left seat of an Aerobat:

299.jpg

Here's another fun water activity:

300.jpg

That's awesome! There's a flying club right by my cottage, a bunch of my neighbors around the lake have some small planes. I was really surprised at how many of these little aircrafts have rotax 2strokes in them! I've seen them horsing around up there, I've been offered to go up but haven't gone yet. Maybe next year!!

That's awesome! There's a flying club right by my cottage, a bunch of my neighbors around the lake have some small planes. I was really surprised at how many of these little aircrafts have rotax 2strokes in them! I've seen them horsing around up there, I've been offered to go up but haven't gone yet. Maybe next year!!

Rotax engines power "many airplanes". I was already familar with Rotax engines in aircraft before looking at the Sea Doo. That's why I did not think twice about buying a boat with a Rotax engine. Flew one airplane powered with a 80HP Rotax 912 four cylinder 4 cycle engine. It ran great.

Will get back into flying one day and continue boating with the Speedster, too!

Thanks!

It's a shame for BRP to stop producing a boat like this.

It's a key/ignition switch, kill switch, and battery master disconnect switch next to the operators right knee:

294.jpg

295.jpg

296.jpg

297.jpg

Wow, I guess I wasnt looking long enough on the 2012's, up to 2011 the speedster 150 have DESS lanyards, with "no" ignition key, only the magnetic cup that goes on top of the lanyard button, we also don't have the "kill switch" it comes integrated on the lanyard button...

Wow, so they made significant changes to the 2012, we do have the battery switch by my knee (thankfully that was something badly needed compared to the older boats, my battery would always die when boat not in use).

I believe the 2012's are made much better than the previous years compared to my 2011. I like the feel of the toggle switches compared to mine, I also like the different ride modes on the 2012's (ski, cruise, dock). Also I highly like the new speedometer and display boards, much more easier to see speed, battery, oil, water depth and so forth.

I don't believe you'll have to worry about working on the engine, one thing they didn't change was the engine, I think it's the same 3 cylinder four stroke engine that has gone to all the speedsters/sportsters plus all their boats since 2003/2004. Great reliable engine :)

Wow, I guess I wasnt looking long enough on the 2012's, up to 2011 the speedster 150 have DESS lanyards, with "no" ignition key, only the magnetic cup that goes on top of the lanyard button, we also don't have the "kill switch" it comes integrated on the lanyard button...

Wow, so they made significant changes to the 2012, we do have the battery switch by my knee (thankfully that was something badly needed compared to the older boats, my battery would always die when boat not in use).

I believe the 2012's are made much better than the previous years compared to my 2011. I like the feel of the toggle switches compared to mine, I also like the different ride modes on the 2012's (ski, cruise, dock). Also I highly like the new speedometer and display boards, much more easier to see speed, battery, oil, water depth and so forth.

I don't believe you'll have to worry about working on the engine, one thing they didn't change was the engine, I think it's the same 3 cylinder four stroke engine that has gone to all the speedsters/sportsters plus all their boats since 2003/2004. Great reliable engine :)

Agree, believe the 1503CC engine to be very durable. Have a motorcycle with similar electronic system. It has three mapping modes that can be changed while in motion.

After looking closer at the operators manual, they say "If you have the necessary mechanical skills and the required tools, you can perform these procedures", referring to the maintenence procedures section. Purchased a 2012 service manual for the Speedster and crankcase oil sump pump, too. The way I see it, should not violate the warranty as long as I keep a maintenance log book of all work performed following Sea Doo procedures with dates/boat hours & log book entries recording required maintenance, along with receipts for materials & parts.

Will probably take the Speedster out on the river tomorrow. Will try to get up to 7 or 8 hours on it tomorrow. Hope to have 10 hours on it by the end of the month. :cheers:

wow your right glass! you should be able to get up to 47mph to 50mph on that water!

There has been miles of glass like that almost every time we've been out on the river. Here's some shots from today. I'm an old retired guy having "fun" with this "fine" machine!!!!

Photo in the No Wake Zone:

313.jpg

Did not exceed 75% of throttle, but it's still enough speed to blow the hat back a "little"!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IMG_0277-1-1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back