Speedster cavitation when starting out WOT

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

jlove

So I just got done rebuilding my speedster 150 engine from a failed supercharger washer and this is a completely different machine now. The problem is I have never owned a boat and never drove this boat before it had the problem so I don't know if this is normal.

When starting out for a stand still it will cavitate badly if I quickly go wide open throttle. If I roll on the throttle and get going 5-10 mph before going wide open throttle it has no problems and accelerates nicely. I did have the boat fully weighted down for its maiden test voyage so I don't know if the weight was a contributing factor. I do know the wear ring only has about 3 hrs on it and it looked fine when I had it out to pull the motor.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Imo you can't go wot from a stand start with any single engine seadoo boat without cavitation, in stock configuration. It doesn't take much though, if you're moving just a little and go wot, it shouldn't cavitate.

As @pvamax said, you can't go WOT from a standstill, it's just how it's designed.

The way a jet pump works is not just only by shooting out jets of water backwards, but also by the intake pulling the boat forward as it sucks in water. If you could aim the jet nozzle straight up, the boat would still move forward from pulling water in.

That said, the impellers and engine are setup together so that the engine can spin the impeller to generate enough thrust so that the engine is right at the Rev limiter. If the impeller isn't aggressively pitched, engine is at the rev limiter, but not doing that much work and wasting energy, and not going past the rev limiter as to not damage the engine. Too aggressive of a pitch (this is when, I think, you won't have cavitation issues) because the resistance to force that much water out would prevent the engine from hitting the rev limiter. It's a balancing game.

I have a 2012 Challenger 210 with 430hp, thanks to superchargers. With just me on the boat, I can go from a standstill to WOT with minor cavitation. If I do the same with 6+ ppl, I will experience cavitation as there's more weight on the boat (more resistance), requiring more thrust to push, with impellers having to spin faster to generate. The reason for me to cavitate, and why I mentioned earlier about pulling in water, is because if I immediate tell the engines to spin that fast to get enough thrust, it will easily. But the added weight makes it harder for the boat to initially move forward to provide enough water to process. What is actually happening is, on the intake side, you're creating a massive low pressure zone, causing the water that can enter the intake to boil or vaporize. This leads to less dense water being processed (as its aerated), and not a lot of thrust, which makes going forward harder than if you progressively applied the throttle. And as the water is less dense, impellers aren't getting much resistance compared to denser water and able to hit the rev limiter quicker, which is not good. For me, with superchargers, the engines will try to go past the rev limiter, spinning the SC, but once I "hook up", i think it engages the SC at bit rougher as the SC has to disengage to slow down when it tries to go past the rev limiter, that when I do hook up, its essentially dumping the clutch in a car and not good.

Best way to understand what's happening is to think of it like a car on ice. You need to apply enough power to the wheels, in a slow fashion, to maintain traction between the wheels and ice. The heavier you are, like a semi, the slower you need to go as you need more traction to get you going from a stand still. If you're a small golf cart, it's so light you're tires can make enough traction that it's not a big deal. BUT, if you slam on the gas, you'll spin the tires. Sure, you may go forward but it'll be slow and not as fast as if you just slowly applied power. Our boat's do the same thing. With jet engines that rev as high as we do, getting traction is important. Even if you don't have a SC, still probably not a good idea to go WOT from a standstill if you're caveating as you say you do.

Sorry for the long message, but hopefully if you or anyone has questions or concerns about it, at least understanding the fundamentals as to why it's happening, can help ease some worries.

And as you stated about the wear rings looking fine, you should be fine. It's more concerning if you eased on the throttle and were caveating or unable to get close to top speed, then we have a problem.But in my opinion, that's normal! I can't remember the engine configurations for the 150, but if you have a single engine, it's definitely more possible to happen than with a dual engine setup. It's actually why I went from a single jet engine to a twin setup, as I find it better able to handle weight and not cavitate as much from both start, as well as turning and picking up speed.

Thanks for the info. This is mostly what I suspected, but thought I would ask as I have no reference to base if off of.
I forgot to put my boat info in my original post, but i have the speedster 150, with single supercharged engine.
I will take it out a few more times hopefully with less weight to try out more to see how that changes things.

Thanks for the info. This is mostly what I suspected, but thought I would ask as I have no reference to base if off of.
I forgot to put my boat info in my original post, but i have the speedster 150, with single supercharged engine.
I will take it out a few more times hopefully with less weight to try out more to see how that changes things.

No problem at all!! First time I drove mine and felt it, I too was concerned and felt the same way! I try to do my best to help reassure people in any way I can. I'm more of a physics kinda guy so I spend a lot of time trying to understand how things works.

But as far as performance, I think you have the engine supercharged options of being either 215hp or 255hp. If you look at the impeller specs for pitch, you can see how the 255hp setup has a more aggressive setup to take advantage of that extra power, but otherwise, great choice going with a SC!! Little bit more maintenance cost and fuel, but performance wise, I think its worth it and hopefully you will too and have a lot of fun on it!!

Ok just an update. I ended up replacing my stock impeller with with a solas 14/19 and it is a night and day difference. No more cavitation off the line even with the boat full and going WOT. Lost a little bit of midrange acceleration but not bad. Tops out at just over 50 mph at 7500 rpm. Going to maybe expirement with repitching this impeller to try an hit max rpm.

Ok just an update. I ended up replacing my stock impeller with with a solas 14/19 and it is a night and day difference. No more cavitation off the line even with the boat full and going WOT. Lost a little bit of midrange acceleration but not bad. Tops out at just over 50 mph at 7500 rpm. Going to maybe expirement with repitching this impeller to try an hit max rpm.
Shoot for 8000 rpm. Stock impeller was good for 56-57mph on gps at 78-7900 with my speedster, 215hp motor.

That's my experience with the 14/19 on my 180 as well. Cavitation is non existent. I'm getting 7700 ish most on the time, but I have a 4" intake and a F1000 external cooler.

Let us know how you make out with the re-pitch. I'm hesitant to try this on my Solas as I don't want to ruin my shinny impeller haha. I've played with re-pitching on my stock impeller and was able to increase the max RPM, but it didn't make any difference in top speed. Granted that was my 1st attempt at pitching.

I believe Sea-Doo lists it as a 10/21 in the shop manual. Obviously they are measuring pitch differently than Solas does, at least on the trailing edge.

Thanks for the info and very interesting. Would have expected a greater drop in RPMs but if you're rocking supercharged engines, probably has enough torque to compensate. Can't wait to hear the update on re-pitiching! I want to change the impellers on mine, but with twin engine setups, I need to look at how I want to pitch one engine differently than other and test each out.

Out of curiosity, how did you go about altering the pitch on your stock impeller?

Ok quick second update now that I have had another chance to take the boat out. This time with half a tank of gas, slightly choppy conditions, bimini top up, and just me in the boat i was able to hit 54 mph on GPS (60 mph + indicated) still topping out a 7500 rpm. Also keep in mind I am at 5000 ft elevation and on stock 215 intercooler for now. I really think this solas 14/19 would be absolutely perfect out of the box if I were at lower elevation.

I will keep this thread updated as I am going to try an repitch the prop eventually as I don't like the idea of "leaving power on the table", but honestly not my top priority right now as the boat is really running great with this set up and 50+ mph is kind of crazy to me in anything but smooth water.

Thanks for the info and very interesting. Would have expected a greater drop in RPMs but if you're rocking supercharged engines, probably has enough torque to compensate. Can't wait to hear the update on re-pitiching! I want to change the impellers on mine, but with twin engine setups, I need to look at how I want to pitch one engine differently than other and test each out.

Out of curiosity, how did you go about altering the pitch on your stock impeller?

Check out this video.

Thank you for sharing that! That was not at all what I expected to happen! May give that a try next time I have time! Also does the intercooler upgrade make that much of a performance difference?

No, it's not a significant gain. My boat has the analog tach so it's harder to get a precise number, but I'd guess at most 100rpm difference. I was planning to put an x-charger on it this spring. Which supposedly benefits more from the external cooler. So last year I started with that. Now I've delayed the x-charger until next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back