Speedster 200 Rear Lid won't pop open

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

IDoSeaDoo

Hey guys, I have a 2004 Speedster 200 with twin 155s. The rear hatch assembly won't pop open when I pull on the release cable. The cable is good, as when a second person pulls up on it, it'll lift up. I thought the struts were bad, so I ordered new ones (80lb lift each). Still, it won't pop open. It's super hard to do it alone, so I have to ask, what's the trick here? I replaced it with exactly what it had before. Is 80lb not the stock strut? It's hard to close now, but still doesn't pop open. Do I need to raise the height of the latch stud? I'm at a loss here...

Perhaps an alignment issue? If one side raises up more then the hatch stud would be at an angle. So even though the latch release works when the hatch comes up the bottom part of the latch stud may be catching on the latch mechanism causing it not to fully pop up. Maybe even some lubrication could help it release more and not get caught. Both on the release mechanism and the latch stud.

I have same issue with mine - think it’s a bent clip in the female side of the latch. But as a workaround I am able to pull the handle, turn 45 degrees to lock in open position, then open the hatch manually. That until permanent fix. Possible for you to do same?

I didn't even know you could turn 45deg to lock in open position. That will be very helpful. Currently, my tactic was to open the lids, and push the closest one with the stern light while pulling up on the lever :not-amused:I'll check the clip. I have lots of spares to choose from. In the process of restoring the hoods. They were scratched something fierce. Have no idea how they got so ugly, but I'm restoring them back to a glossy shine :) So far, so good.

Hey correction (my math was off) -- it's a 90 Degree turn, not 45 .... you get the idea. And I am referring to the cable handle in the port side storage compartment used to pop the engine compartment lid. Pulling up and turning SHOULD lock it in the open position so you can manually lift the lid manually.

After breaking 2 hatch locks and about loosing the rear engine hatch compartment; once on the water after crossing the wake of another boat, (replaced) and once when I just happen to look up, while driving 65 , I noticed a huge air brake from the rear of the boat; I immediately pulled over and realized the only thing holding the rear lid on, was the 2 hinges and it had popped the gas cylinders out of their sockets...luckily I keep bungees; cause you never know...that could of been a disaster for the vehicles behind me...so after a couple of months of trying to figure out a “not so cheesy solution “, playing with plastic keepers, and expensive gas struts, I wanted a way to lock it in place; and not to have 2 people, to open, and now the fear of it popping open...I pulled some measurements, done a little math...and here’s the solution...

Installed aluminum screw driven 12/24 volt actuators on a forward/reverse remote module and a 3 position key switch in the front..
Position 1 off
Position 2 main battery
Position 3 12v drill battery (back up power)
Cheaper than 2 gas shocks and a new hatch lock...

Attachments

• 63ECDEEE-1489-4CEE-8E3E-8AAE3ABDCC7F.jpeg
    63ECDEEE-1489-4CEE-8E3E-8AAE3ABDCC7F.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 29
  • ACDDFC17-E502-4222-B8A0-BC45E34CE717.jpeg
    ACDDFC17-E502-4222-B8A0-BC45E34CE717.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 28
  • 235B924A-7E65-4426-AA22-CE5D56F5B4F0.jpeg
    235B924A-7E65-4426-AA22-CE5D56F5B4F0.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 27
Status
Not open for further replies.