Speedster 200 - one TOPS valve clicks, the other doesn't

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

IDoSeaDoo

Hi all,

I have an 04 Speedster 200 with 155's. When I put the lanyard on, the startboard TOPS valve clicks on and off when the boat is off, the port does not. I have started getting a P1202 error on the port side, and engine going into 5000RPM limp mode. Turning the engine on/off resets this problem, and sometimes the error doesn't back for a while, but then it does. Sounds like it could be an issue with the front Oil Pressure Switch (OPS), or maybe the TOPS valve itself. On my other single engine boat, I removed that TOPS valve and installed a resistor in the connector, and it runs just fine. Is it normal for the TOPS valve to activate and deactivate when the key is on?

It is normal for the TOPS to activate when lanyard is on. The TOPS is a carryover from the ski's that prevents oil from leaking out of the engine if tipped upside down. Not really needed on boats, so seadoo removed this piece of hardware around 06. Since it sounds like you have a bad TOPS, you can replace it or simply remove the plungers on the shaft essentially bypassing its use.

From what I understand, the ECM does not know if the valve actually actuates; it knows by way of the oil pressure switch that indicates high crank case pressure if the tops does not open.

I had a similar issue a few years ago, did not know if I had a TOPS issue or crank case oil pressure switch. I took the plungers off the TOPS and replaced the OPS (since it was cheap and easy) and have had no issues since.

Hope this helps

I don't want to gut the TOPS, as I want to sell the boat soon. I'm just wondering if it's normal for the TOPS valve to click on and off while the lanyard is attached. One engine does it, other doesn't.

No, the TOPS should not cycle. It should activate and stay open while the engine is running. Make sure you are getting constant power, and if so just replace the TOPS. Should be good to go after that.

Were they the same from SC and NA? If so, I have my old TOPS from my SC GTX that I removed since tha tmotor went into my little boat. If that thing turns over, oil in the cylinders is my last worry lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back