Speedometer sensor

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

GregM64

00 GTX both digital & guage speedometer stopped working, they were working on & off last year. Was wondering if replacing just the paddle or do you think I need to replace the whole speed sensor unit?

I am not an electrical pro, but 1st check that the paddle wheel is there,and therefore that is not an issue. To rule out the sensor, disconnect the plug at the rear of the hull, and then connect your meter to volts DC, then spin the paddle, and you shud have a reading. If this positive, then check for power coming out of your mpem, if this is positive, then, likely, it could be the gauge cluster going.

I've been researching how to check this instrument. The power needs to be connected to the sensor while the voltage test is being done... obviously but I was trying to figure out how to get a reading without power as I have a few junk skis in yard. I tried all of the settings with no luck. LOL I'd like to get the speedo's working and I detest buying parts to throw at failures. On a side note... I never have had any luck removing the sensor from the ride plate. It always gets ugly and the screws don't all come out. The sockets twist in the plastic. Ick !!

I've been researching how to check this instrument. The power needs to be connected to the sensor while the voltage test is being done... obviously but I was trying to figure out how to get a reading without power as I have a few junk skis in yard. I tried all of the settings with no luck. LOL I'd like to get the speedo's working and I detest buying parts to throw at failures. On a side note... I never have had any luck removing the sensor from the ride plate. It always gets ugly and the screws don't all come out. The sockets twist in the plastic. Ick !!
any update ? i have same issueno readings etc . i cleaned up terminals on 97 gti (larger gauge 3.5 i guess )and got speedo to work engine not running just connected.
my 96 no reading ohms or voltage , not sure how to determine guage bad or sensor? 96 gti has 2 inch guage

There is another thread where a very knowledgeable poster did some testing and posted where to connect the power and what to read. I fixed my 2000 RX with the $129 Candoo speed sensor. LOL It's a GPS type.

There is another thread where a very knowledgeable poster did some testing and posted where to connect the power and what to read. I fixed my 2000 RX with the $129 Candoo speed sensor. LOL It's a GPS type.

There's no power going to the speed sensor and none needed to test it, just disconnect it from the gauge, connect the meter to the two wires pulse and ground, spin the paddle wheel and you should see a voltage.

There's no power going to the speed sensor and none needed to test it, just disconnect it from the gauge, connect the meter to the two wires pulse and ground, spin the paddle wheel and you should see a voltage.
is there a way to check the 2inch gauge the 96 gti 's 2 inch gauge dont go to the main computer its powered by itself and the three wires from sensor goes into gauge . as it stands with the volt test i get no voltage and with the ohm test i get no resistance variation from spinning wheel. i spin wheel with milwaukee leaf blower lol
just like to know if the gauge works before i buy the candoo gps sensor. its not worth me buying both. gauge and sensor ,they sell used sensors on ebay untested lol no thankyou ! theres a chance theres a loose connection somewhere my 96, it does have a bad connection somewhere my fuel gauge was going in and out sometimes and the fuse was good in the tank sender.
pretty sure my sensor is bad but if gauge is bad also i wont bother with the speedo plus its a white needle on a white backing very hard to see anyway.

Last edited:
Well if you find the thread I believe the poster turned the wheel very slowly and watched for a voltage variation on the multi meter. I was trying to see something on the Ohms Scale which didn't work. He supplied power to one of the wires going back and then read millivolts or something on the return wires. I don't have time to search but it was good stuff. Good source might have been poster "Sportster-2001-951C-Stock" Good Luck.

is there a way to check the 2inch gauge the 96 gti 's 2 inch gauge dont go to the main computer its powered by itself and the three wires from sensor goes into gauge . as it stands with the volt test i get no voltage and with the ohm test i get no resistance variation from spinning wheel. i spin wheel with milwaukee leaf blower lol
just like to know if the gauge works before i buy the candoo gps sensor. its not worth me buying both. gauge and sensor ,they sell used sensors on ebay untested lol no thankyou ! theres a chance theres a loose connection somewhere my 96, it does have a bad connection somewhere my fuel gauge was going in and out sometimes and the fuse was good in the tank sender.
pretty sure my sensor is bad but if gauge is bad also i wont bother with the speedo plus its a white needle on a white backing very hard to see anyway.

Ok, during lunch today working from home, I went and did this to verify, once tapped into the wires, say purple/yellow and black/orange depending the type sensor, it needs to be connected back to the gauge. THEN, push the start/stop button to activate the gauges, then 'quickly' spin the paddle wheel, you have 30 seconds or so. The voltage starts high then drops as you spin the paddle wheel.

I used a piece of wire and jump lines to tap into the plug to accomplish the test.20200410_142334.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back